Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
elevation of ebersbacher ledges?
#5531 06/28/10 09:47 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone know the elevation of the ebersbacher ledges?

I fished the Sierras over the weekend and on the way back to SoCal, I stopped by the Portal for a quick trip up to the ebersbacher ledges to see them in person. The hike is absolutely fantastic with a nice steep grade, lots of large rocks, a well maintained trail and awesome water crossings to the ledges. It's a short hike, but it was just perfect to end the weekend with my son Cy, and my buddy DJ and his kid Eric. Lots of water from melting snow made the water crossings much like a trip to a water park and the waterfall is currently huge.
I have seen the ledges on video and images... and didn't think they were too scary.....but they were way more intimidating to me in person, and I did stop when the ledges dropped off steeply and all I saw was the tops of trees below me. But again, a beautiful hike and view from the ledges. I do think I'll stick with the Main Trail though.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: elevation of ebersbacher ledges?
quillansculpture #5534 06/28/10 10:05 AM
CaT Offline
Others may have a more precise number, but I think the E Ledges appear to be generally between 9600 and 9800 feet.

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Re: elevation of ebersbacher ledges?
CaT #5540 06/28/10 11:13 AM
S
S
I agree with CaT.

Here is a Google map view with the ledges identified. The other two points are LBSL and the North Fork crossing.

Click between the Sat and Ter views (upper right) to switch between satellite and topographic views.  And use the "+" and "-" (upper left) to zoom in or out.

You can see the lens of green above the ledges (behind the blue marker). That is the patch of forested area that the route goes through just above the ledges.

View Ebersbacher Ledges in a larger map

While creating the Google map view, I checked the MyTopo site, and discovered they now have the North Fork/Mountaineers Route roughly identified on the map. Here's the link to the map. Click on the "MyTopo" and "Hybrid" on that map to switch between topographic and satellite views.

Last edited by Steve C; 06/28/10 11:19 AM. Reason: Add MyTopo link

Link Copied to Clipboard