Next Thread
Print Thread
30 July trip report
#55857 07/31/19 02:08 PM
D
Dale E Offline OP
OP Offline
D
1:30 AM start. Weather at the TH high 60s wind calm, sky clear.
Recommend water proof boots due to wet stream crossing. I had non-WP boots and wish I had WP boots. You can rock hop if your legs are long enough.

6:00 at Trail Camp refilled water for a 3L total. Wind picked up To 10mph. Put on shell and light glove liners. My son put on his wool beanie. Temps with wind chill in low 50s.

Some ice on the Switch Backs. Lot of running water.

9:00 at trail junction. Winds gusting to 15 mph. Sky clear. Temps in 60s.

Snow on last traverse to summit. Wish I brought my micro spikes but I took the advice of summiteers from the day before. They said it is doable without them. Lesson learned; doable means, “you can, but it is extra work.” Bring the spikes, they are not heavy and with them you have options.

11:00 summited. Temps in 60s with wind at 10. The clear sunny sky made if feel warmer.
12:00 started back down. All streams were running higher. Ankle gaiters would be useful if using low tops.

Total water consumed: 5lL.
5:30 PM back at TH.

Re: 30 July trip report
Dale E #55858 07/31/19 03:25 PM
S
S
Nice report, short and to the point.

Did you end up not using the Old Trail from the portal? You should have been able to avoid the first two crossings with this route. Were there other crossings that you thought waterproof boots would've been useful?

sumptimwong #55859 07/31/19 04:55 PM
D
Dale E Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Took the main trail. Recon up to Lone Pine lake the day before and ran out of time so I could not recon the old trail. So I decided to use the main.

The other rock hopping stream is between Trail Camp and the Meadow.

I wore Merril Moab Ventilatiors and got my socks wet once. But they quickly wicked and dried. I did change socks at the summit, an old Army habit, and was pleased how dry they were.

I wear a thin polyester sock and a medium weight wool blend sock. Rarely do I get a blister.

Dale E #55860 07/31/19 04:58 PM
D
Dale E Offline OP
OP Offline
D
P.S. The switch backs above Trail Camp had quite a bit of water running through them and offered plenty of opportunities to get wet feet

Dale E #55862 08/01/19 02:51 AM
S
S
I also summited on July 30. Was it just my imagination, or was the trail a whole lot less crowded than usual? Admittedly, I didn’t do the whole alpine start thing like everybody else does. I started at 8:40AM and summited at 2:35. But I encountered VERY few people who were coming down and passed even fewer who were making their way up. I would say less than 40 people total. In fact, I OWNED the summit for probably around 20 minutes before a few people I passed started showing up there. Even Trail Camp looked like a ghost town, with maybe a half dozen tents. Even on the way down. This is certainly a HUGE change from the past. And yes, I have always summited on weekdays.

Interestingly, I’ve noticed the same thing at Rock Creek. I remember going there last year after climbing Whitney and having to park a mile from the trailhead. This year, I have been there a few times and NEVER had problems with parking. Could it be that the heavy snowfall has been keeping people away from the mountains?

Last edited by StorminMatt; 08/01/19 09:29 AM.
StorminMatt #55863 08/01/19 08:20 AM
R
R
Originally Posted By: StorminMatt
Was it just my imagination, or was the trail a whole lot less crowded than usual?

I haven't been to Whitney in a couple of years but I'll comment on my experience here around Reno, NV. It seems many more people have discovered hiking. Often trailheads have more cars than ever before. Yesterday my wife took grandkids to Mt Rose Waterfall - she had never seen so many people on the trail. Recently at Galena Creek Park there was about 50 cars in the parking lot at Jones Creek trailhead.

RenoFrank #55864 08/01/19 09:56 AM
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
Originally Posted By: StorminMatt
Was it just my imagination, or was the trail a whole lot less crowded than usual?

I haven't been to Whitney in a couple of years but I'll comment on my experience here around Reno, NV. It seems many more people have discovered hiking. Often trailheads have more cars than ever before. Yesterday my wife took grandkids to Mt Rose Waterfall - she had never seen so many people on the trail. Recently at Galena Creek Park there was about 50 cars in the parking lot at Jones Creek trailhead.

Same here in San Diego, CA.

Hiking is far more popular than it was when I arrived here 25 years ago. That's a good thing. Open space is being valued and people are getting exercise. REI is packed each time I've visited. My city, Poway, is actively purchasing land to enable more public access to the surrounding natural areas.

That said, the parking lot at the Whitney Portal was expanded as couple of years ago, so more space is available. Also, the changes in the permitting process may have discouraged would-be hikers this year.

Last edited by futbol; 08/01/19 09:56 AM.
futbol #55866 08/01/19 04:43 PM
D
Dale E Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Agree with Storminmatt. A lot of unused permits went to waste. Too bad the weather was perfect.

Link Copied to Clipboard