Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Over by one hiker - Labor Day permit
#56134 08/29/19 09:53 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi all, we are a group of 7 camping at Whitney Portal this coming Sunday for a Monday all day Whitney hike. Our permit is for six. We have differing opinions in the group if this will be an issue. Worst case scenario as I see it would be a fine and one person has to turn around, which I think would be a total bummer. Does anyone have any intel on this kind of situation? Will they check permits for sure, and if so, where on trail? Two in our group will likely turn around at Trail Camp. Thank you!

Re: Over by one hiker - Labor Day permit
bellafour #56135 08/29/19 11:07 AM
P
P
Hi;
Not only will 1 hiker be turned around, your whole group will and the trip leader will be fined and most likely banned from applying for a future Whitney permit and maybe other destinations.

The permit system is in place for a reason. Don't put our "paid and volunteer" Rangers in this predicament . They WILL act accordingly.

Lone Pine Lake is the farthest anyone can go without needing a permit.

Hope this helps.

Paul King #56136 08/29/19 11:10 AM
S
S
Well, there is not ALWAYS someone checking permits. I’ve been up Whitney three times, and have NEVER had anyone check my permit. Then again, it has always been on a Tuesday. I would expect permit enforcement to be a whole lot more strict on Labor Day.

StorminMatt #56137 08/29/19 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: StorminMatt
Well, there is not ALWAYS someone checking permits. I’ve been up Whitney three times, and have NEVER had anyone check my permit. Then again, it has always been on a Tuesday. I would expect permit enforcement to be a whole lot more strict on Labor Day.

I usually go mid-week because permits are easier to get.

Last year I got checked by USFS rangers 3 of the 3 times I was in the Whitney Zone (or headed up the trail toward it).

The OP should try and add a permit at the visitor center.

bellafour #56139 08/29/19 12:50 PM
S
S
Welcome, bellafour!

You need to get a separate permit for the additional hiker. You have to get it online--there are no walk-in permits available this year. Here's how you get the permit:

Starting today, keep checking the Recreation.gov site (set entry point to Mt. Whitney Day Use, and Group size=1). Permits DO show up online, as people picking up their permits drop off slots due to hikers backing out. Most permits will show up Sunday for the Monday hike, but some will also show up on Saturday. (If people go online earlier and cancel or drop slots on rec.gov, those will show up earlier.)

When you find the slot, reserve and pay for it. The software is supposed to let you update your existing permit and add a slot (only when one is available). If it allows it, you shouldn't need to pay the additional $10 for a new reservation. Otherwise you might need to create a separate/new reservation, with the additional fee.

If it's a new res, I'm not sure if the system will let you pick up a permit for same day as your other one (I think it should). If not, have another person in your group check for and reserve the permit. Whoever gets it has to pick it up (showing ID) at the Visitor Center, S of Lone Pine.

Originally Posted By: Paul King
Not only will 1 hiker be turned around, your whole group will and the trip leader will be fined and most likely banned from applying for a future Whitney permit and maybe other destinations.
Whoah!! Not sure where you get your info, but I can't imagine a whole group being turned back. The group leader and six hikers would all be legal. It would only be the un-tagged non-permitted hiker who would get fined. And nobody goes about banning people from the trail.

Steve C #56140 08/29/19 01:07 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you! There are a ton of permits today for Friday (and only Friday) which leads me to believe they open up 48 hrs in advance?? I am def of the mind that we all need to be permitted. I will try and get one and if I can't can sit this one out.

bellafour #56142 08/29/19 04:29 PM
S
S
> There are a ton of permits today for Friday

Well, there weren't any when I wrote the message above, and there are none now, too. Point is, you need to be checking often.

Those day hike slots for Friday (tomorrow)... need to be picked up before close of business (4:30) Thursday. So whatever was available would be worthless if they become available after that... unless you just want to wander up to Trail Camp and back, since you'd need to pick up the permit at 8AM, and really couldn't start hiking until maybe 9.

Permits start showing online up 2 days before, because that's the earliest people can claim their reservations, and so some slots get dropped. Thing is, the dropped slots go back online at random time after that -- to prevent scalpers from dropping slots and selling them to people like you. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard