Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
2 members (dbd, 1 invisible), 34 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics5,926
Posts53,336
Members4,145
Most Online1,443
Jul 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mt. Whitney Trip Early June (Open?)
#57080 05/22/20 12:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 8
R
OP Offline
R
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 8
Hey All,

I'm planning to take a trip to hike the mountaineer's route the second week of June. Can anyone tell me if the trail / Whitney portal is open? Think I'll get to use crampons up the last 2000 ft? Or with the light snow will it be mostly bouldering?

Also, I'm coming in a few days early to acclimate to the altitude if you have any other hikes you can recommend to help with that. The plan was to stay at the Whitney portal 2 nights, 2 nights on the trail (coming down the regular Whitney trail, I have permits for both).

Thanks,

Re: Mt. Whitney Trip Early June (Open?)
rralston3 #57081 05/22/20 02:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,088
Likes: 23
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,088
Likes: 23
Please watch the posts in the General Discussion forum. Inyo N.F. may not be issuing the required hiking permits by then, and the gate on Whitney Portal Road may still be locked. Currently staying in any campgrounds is strictly prohibited. We are sure hoping it will open things up by the time you go, but that may not be the case.

If you do go, I would definitely take crampons, though you may not actually use them. Mid-June is too early to say the route is completely clear.

Re: Mt. Whitney Trip Early June (Open?)
Steve C #57107 05/27/20 09:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Likes: 7
B
Offline
B
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by rralston3
Hey All,

I'm planning to take a trip to hike the mountaineer's route the second week of June. Can anyone tell me if the trail / Whitney portal is open?

Originally Posted by Steve C
Inyo N.F. may not be issuing the required hiking permits by then, and the gate on Whitney Portal Road may still be locked. Currently staying in any campgrounds is strictly prohibited. We are sure hoping it will open things up by the time you go, but that may not be the case.

In case you're interested, someone posted a similar question a few hours ago in the comment section of the USFS Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/inyonf/

"We have June 10th permits for Whitney. Should we assume they will be cancelled? I know you're doing it one week at a time, but if there's very little chance it'd really help to know now."

Response from Inyo National Forest: "We cannot say definitively about June 10th at this point. We understand that makes planning difficult and we are trying to give as much flexibility so that those who can make it on short notice can."

My personal guess is that Whitney will still be closed during the second week of June, but based on the above comment, there is a chance that the road and trail will be open.

Originally Posted by rralston3
Also, I'm coming in a few days early to acclimate to the altitude if you have any other hikes you can recommend to help with that. The plan was to stay at the Whitney portal 2 nights, 2 nights on the trail (coming down the regular Whitney trail, I have permits for both).

The closest high-altitude hikes would be Cottonwood Lakes and Cottonwood Pass, which may be accessed by going down Horseshoe Meadows Rd. The trailhead is at around 10,000'.

Another option would be the Methuselah Trail in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest (also around 10,000' elevation), but that's further away to the northeast.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.3 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 20 (0.010s) Memory: 0.5839 MB (Peak: 0.6307 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2020-07-15 07:43:50 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS