Print Thread
White Mountain Peak, Almost
#57546 07/01/20 08:07 PM
G
Goose Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Monday, June 29th, 2020 - Dayhike of White Mountain Peak

First, a note about the drive up to the locked gate, which is almost the entire reason for this post. Yes, the unpaved portion of the drive is indeed long, and would certainly be best experienced in a vehicle with plenty of clearance and sturdy, off-road tires. That said, employing zen-like patience and some real experiencing off-roading in a variety of conditions, I succeeded in driving to the locked gate and back in a 2017 Prius without sustaining any damage. And I travelled so slowly, that the gas needle did not even budge. Can I recommend it? No. But I do not think that your choice of vehicle should necessarily deter you from the trip.

Second, it was seriously windy. I was not alone in thinking that it was a beautiful day for this as there were two other cars when I arrived at the end. I caught a glimpse of a pair heading up just before they disappeared around a bend and I followed about ten minutes after they took off. I had no problem making it to the weather station just above the Barcroft research station, and once there I could see that there was no snow save a small patch off the trail below the summit. I continued on across the flatter, more exposed plateau and ultimately turned around because of the wind. In milder conditions, I am sure that it would have made a great day hike.

On a side note, I would love to know the rationale for the random quarter mile or so of paved road near the entrance to Patriarch Grove. Bizarre.

Safe travels.

1 member likes this: futbol
Re: White Mountain Peak, Almost
Goose #57659 07/08/20 11:16 AM
Y
Y
How long did the zen drive take? Just curious. We first drove in a SUV, no problem...I don't think it's the clearance as much as the chicken heads all over the road. Every car that passed us going/coming got a flat; one numnut in a minivan got two flats on the way out. His boy scout troop caravan were scratching their heads on what to do next. Took us about an hour from what I recall driving prudently and stopping for other cars along the way.

Re: White Mountain Peak, Almost
yvonne #57662 07/08/20 12:41 PM
G
Goose Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It took me about 40 minutes to cover the unpaved portion in each direction. It sounds much worse than it actually was.

1 member likes this: yvonne

Link Copied to Clipboard