Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
tunnabora/lake tulainyo via the north east?
#57767 07/22/20 09:06 PM
futbol Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm planning to hike/climb from Hogback Creek or George Creek to the north-east side of Mt Carillon/Cleaver/Tunnabora Peak.
My ultimate goal is to camp next to Lake Tulainyo (and drink from it -- my latest Sierra Nevada obsession) and hike back the next day.

A couple of years ago USFS rep told me that a [JM33: George Creek] overnight permit would cover me for this trip.

Looking at the contour and elevation map, I'm thinking the ridge line from George Creek to Tunnabora would be the best route.

Does anyone here have opinions or experience trying to get to Lake Tulainyo from the North-East (or other direction)?

Also, I've been to the Hogback Creek bushwhacking starting area with my truck. Where does the George Creek bushwhacking area start via some dirt road?

Re: tunnabora/lake tulainyo via the north east?
futbol #57768 07/22/20 10:46 PM
S
S
I don't know much about the hogback creek route, or the road. (Looking at Google Maps satellite view, it looks pretty accessible from Whitney Portal rd.) Several years ago, I completed a big Whitney loop -- Horseshoe Meadows, Cottonwood lks, Sky Blue Lake, Crabtree Pass, JMT, Wallace Lk, Tulainyo Lk, Russell-Carrillon pass, Whitney Portal, 4 nights. I camped at Wallace Lk, then hiked up to Tulainyo, had lunch, then over the pass and down. Going up via the North Fork is more of a sure thing but it would be tough with a pack! Of course you would need a Whitney Overnight Permit, since it starts at Whitney Portal.

I know several people have gone up via Hogback, to see the Gamblers Special crash site.

Re: tunnabora/lake tulainyo via the north east?
Steve C #57769 07/23/20 07:29 AM
futbol Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Steve. I remember you mentioning that trip over the Russell-Carillon Pass to Lake Tulainyo. I carried an overnight pack to that pass, but never to the lake... and yes, carrying that up the scree is not easy. I've chatted with others up there on different trips, and a few have done something like what I described, but they may have come from a different direction (via Wallace Lake and beyond). I can't remember.

I figure those George Creek permits must be there for a reason (who would bushwhack to nowhere?). If I go that way, and succeed, I'll post tracks.

Link Copied to Clipboard