Next Thread
Print Thread
Cirque Peak via Cirque Lakes?
#58226 11/23/20 06:17 PM
B
BL1 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
During normal seasons (June / July), is Cirque Peak climbable from Cirque Lake? It looks like a stretch to climb Langley, descend to a campsite at Long Lake, and climb back up New Army Pass. Of course you could always summit both mountains in a day, but that is hard to do... Any input on this?

Re: Cirque Peak via Cirque Lakes?
BL1 #58227 11/23/20 06:43 PM
T
tif Offline
T
I've only ever summitted Cirque Peak from camping at Cirque Lake laugh so yes it's totally doable if you don't mind 3rd class scrambling.

From Cirque Lake, the route(s) is completely off trail - heading north then east into the bowl immediately north of the peak - then a fun scramble up to the summit. I've marked a rough path here for reference: https://caltopo.com/m/U15N

note that's a really rough approximation of the route I've taken - obviously terrain plays into the exact lines up/down the mountain.

1 member likes this: BL1
tif #58228 11/23/20 07:48 PM
B
BL1 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Was the class 3 scramble challenging compared to other class 2/3 peaks? Up to now, I've only summitted two major peaks: Round Top Peak and Freel Peak, the former being a class 2 and the latter a class 1. Both were pretty easy, and I've been looking forward to more. I've also summitted part of the ridge near Lyons Lake (https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7096130/lyons-lake-to-smith-lake-viewpoint), not sure what this would qualify as but there are a few small (~3 - 5 ft tall) rocks at the final stretch. Looking at the GPS track, the Cirque Peak ascent doesn't look too bad compared to the scramble near Lyons... is this true or not? Thanks for responding quickly.

BL1 #58235 11/24/20 05:31 PM
T
tif Offline
T
It's definitely 3rd class depending on how your choose your route - I definitely used my hands/arms for upward movement. I'm not familiar with the two other peaks you mention - so I can't compare them, but I didn't encounter any 3-5' blocks in my routes on cirque - more like 1-3' for the most part..

I found this video on youtube of Cirque - not sure how they approached it, but seems they went up the side I did) - if you skip to around the 5 minute mark you can see video of the scramble up the face - this seems in line with my experiences (I've done the peak 3 times now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNx6MjJNkXs&ab_channel=RudyFleck

Hope that helps!! lemme know if i can be of other help laugh

=)tif

Link Copied to Clipboard