Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
East Coast Hiker - Considering April Hike
#59047 07/16/21 04:59 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi I am a very experienced east coast hiker with some out west experience as well. I am considering a Whitney hike in a year or two and liked the idea of going in late April right before permit season. I by no means take that task lightly, and wanted to ask from those of you with experience what it would take to seriously prepare for that. Below is the points I have considered, as well as some I have not fully fleshed out.

- Fitness and Hiking Experience: I am an avid hiker and have done multiple 35 plus mile days on fairly hard terrain. I of course would train to prepare for this hike as well.

- Winter Experience: I have done some (very) basic ice axe and crampon training. I would of course get more. Curious how much training you recommend. I imagine it’s different depending on what I do (I.e, walking up the main route vs glissading down mr).

- Route: I would like to camp the first night to adjust to the climate, and summit on day 2. Is the main route even feasible that time of year? I have seen some say yes but others say the mountaineers route is the only way to go. I thought perhaps seeing if that year is a low / high snowpack year may affect that. I am in no rush so I could wait for the winter and see if it looks wise that year. Or wait for the next.

- Finally, I am attempting find a hiking partner for the day who has this type of experience (as much as I’d like going alone I’d admit that seems foolish here). Is that a common practice on this site? My east coast hiking partner is a T1D and while very capable, the cold can put him in a dangerous position and I wouldn’t risk that.

Thank you again!

Re: East Coast Hiker - Considering April Hike
cjacques #59048 07/16/21 06:41 AM
S
S
It's good to see you are willing to prepare nearly a year in advance. The conditions and whether an April ascent via the MWMT is feasible are completely dependent on what happens this winter. In some leaner snow years, the MWMT is passable. If there is decent snow (which CA needs) the MWMT would be a very long snowshoe approach and a treacherous journey from Trail Crest to the summit.

Remember, it hasn't been uncommon to deal with significant patches of snow on Whitney in July, so an especially snow-bound April isn't off the table.

If you are already going in the snow I would prepare for the Mountaineers Route. It's steeper but shorter and you're more likely to see more people there in April.

Regardless of which route you do you need to have good mountaineering boots, crampons that fit and you are comfortable with. You must know how and when to use those crampons including how to flat-foot (French technique), front-point (German technique), and change direction on steep slopes. You must also be proficient in axe work: self-belay, glissading, and especially self-arrest. Also take an avalanche class. Folks die of an avalanche during the Sierra spring in fat and lean snow years alike. You should be able to decipher avalanche conditions ahead of your trip and monitor snow conditions on the day while you are on the mountain during that time. If it is a big snow year you may need to invest in and practice wearing snowshoes too. All of these skills are essential big mountain skills you should know. You can learn and self-teach over the coming winter, but having a mentor to guide and practice with you is very important. I know so many folks who think they know how to do these things but don't because many of these skills aren't intuitive. I had a stranger try to correct my glissade technique on Shasta 5 years ago with an incorrect method. I tried to explain why he was mistaken but he dismissed me and took off on his glissade: he ended up sliding out of control, losing his axe, and had to abort his glissade, backtrack to his axe, and walk out (too afraid to glissade). He was okay, but I finished several hours earlier than he did. It bears repeating: get and practice good techniques from people who know their stuff.

Gate and road closures are also issues you will deal with from October through June dependent on snow. In some cases, the road will be closed due to snowfall or rockfall. Some folks are prepared for hiking into the Portal, but the unsuspecting may be thwarted in getting near the summit by being unprepared for these closures.

All that said, this is the checklist I'd give you to prepare for an early-season ascent:
  • Get in GREAT hiking shape to tackle snowy steeps (6k ascent in 5 miles).
  • Hone your crampon, axe, and avalanche skills.
  • Prepare to have and use snowshoes if conditions mandate it.
  • Acclimatize on the highest mountains near you.
  • Prepare to hike the road in due to closures.
  • Be prepared to fail. Spring weather and avalanche conditions can be exceedingly dangerous. Preparation is just as much about being prepared to succeed as it is knowing when to bail out.

I know this is a long, worst-case scenario list but fortunately, you have months to prepare. Winter is coming so you can get used to potential conditions. If we end up having a low snow year you will be super prepared and have a much more relaxed time in the Whitney Zone.

Cheers, and good luck! grin

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Re: East Coast Hiker - Considering April Hike
cjacques #59049 07/16/21 06:57 AM
A
A
Mt. Whitney in April can hardly be considered a hike, even if you do it via the main trail. You can certainly attempt it without prior structured mountaineering training, but such training will increase the chances of success and substantially lower the chances of getting inured or killed. Although spring snow conditions vary from year to year, you should be prepared to safely navigate steep snow slopes and mixed sections both up and down, factoring altitude, exposure and route finding. The best way to prepare is to take a mountaineering class and then scale a few smaller mountains in winter with a guide or experienced friend. Also, be cautious teaming up with people you do not know.

Link Copied to Clipboard