Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick trip to San Jacinto
#5349 06/20/10 09:04 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My wife got called in to do overtime Saturday so the boy and I packed our Camelbaks and headed to Idyllwild. Plan was simple - a quick trip to the summit via the Marion Mountain Trail. Last year it was our first hike of the season and it almost made me want to quit hiking forever. It's fairly steep, gaining 4500 feet in just under 6 miles.

Woke up at 0330 and was rolling before 0400. Grabbed a permit and parked at the trailhead. A few weeks ago we turned back at 9000 feet due to snow on the PCT coming up via Devil's Slide. This time there was no snow until Little Round Valley and it was easy to stay on trail.

There was some snow during the last 100 feet but it was soft and easy to scamble up. I read later that if you swing around the other side it isn't a problem. Wasn't really a problem plowing through it either.

Lots of water on the trail so no need to carry much if you don't want to.

When we arrived there were four others on top. Two of them left after they took our photo. After about a half hour the crowds started coming up. There was a line to get on to the summit block.

We headed down and thought we had seen the last of our fellow hikers as we turned away from the Tram route. WRONG. There were at least 40 people coming up our way including a group of 20 single file hiking through Little Round Valley. Crazy. Everyone we talked to said they were coming up Marion Mountain, but the Deer Springs trailhead parking was completely full when we passed.

The key to enjoying San J's peak is be the early bird. 1st tram leaves at 0800 - get a jump on them and you'll have peace at the top.

Team Snail is going up San J on the 27th via South Ridge/Tahquitz.

I'm supposed to lead a 20 mile merit badge hike up there this summer - up the tram, to the peak and downhill to Idyllwild.

Looks like I'll be a frequent visitor this year.............DUG

Re: Quick trip to San Jacinto
DUG #5521 06/28/10 05:34 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Went back to San J Sunday for our practice hike. Everyone was loaded up with the exact gear they plam to have Friday on Whitney. Woke up at 0100, got ready and met up with everyone at 0200. Made the drive to Idyllwild, pulled a permit (which was checked twice) and was hiking by headlamp at 0330. Two members had never used a headlamp before. Enjoyed sunrise and breakfast at the fire lookout on Tahquitz Peak. Quickly dropped 700 feet along the spur trail/PCT before hitting Saddle Junction. From there it's just uphill. Weather was incredible all day - never got too cold or windy or too hot. Spent a 1/2 hour on the peak and headed down.

We took 15 hours on the trail hiking 22 miles and gaining 5900 feet total in elevation. My Whitney plan calls for 18 hours so I think we are doing ok.

Right now I have a turn around time planned for 1200, but might stretch it to 1300 depending on weather, etc. Does that sound reasonible? We are hitting the trail at 0200 and I expect a slower pace than on San J.

#1 goal is to return home safely, #2 is to summit. How many hours it takes to complete these goals doesn't matter to me, we aren't trying to impress anyone. My thoughts are as long as we are headed downhill with enough gear to hold us overnight in an emergancy than it doesn't matter if it takes us 12 hours to finish the hike or 22.

Thoughts?..................................DUG

DUG #5524 06/28/10 07:52 AM
Originally Posted By: DUG
...Right now I have a turn around time planned for 1200, but might stretch it to 1300 depending on weather, etc. Does that sound reasonible? We are hitting the trail at 0200 and I expect a slower pace than on San J.

#1 goal is to return home safely, #2 is to summit. How many hours it takes to complete these goals doesn't matter to me, we aren't trying to impress anyone. My thoughts are as long as we are headed downhill with enough gear to hold us overnight in an emergancy than it doesn't matter if it takes us 12 hours to finish the hike or 22.

Thoughts?..................................DUG

A 1200 or 1300 turnaround time is good since you are starting at 0200. 1300 has always been my cutoff time regardless of start time.

Pace pace pace
Hydrate hydrate hydrate
Nibble nibble nibble

Getting to the top is OPTIONAL, getting down is MANDATORY. I am sure you already know that.

Another axiom (from Kurt Wedberg): No higher than a headache.

Water sources (no filtration needed): Spring just before Outpost. SB23. Dependent upon temperature, the water could be flowing by the time you get there. Trailside Meadow is a place to chill out for a while.

TC to summit: I count 100 paces, stop, rest, drink. Then another 100. Takes my mind off seeing the summit in the distance. Another step closer.

Mountaineer's breaths: Purse your lips like you are going to blow out a candle at arm's length. Exhale forcibly. Take a deep breath and repeat. Expands the alveolar sacs in your lungs.

Hope this helps...

Have fun.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #5882 07/09/10 09:05 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Back to Sanny J for the 4th time this year with the third successful summit (our first trip via Devil's Slide had too much snow).

This time was Fuller Ridge. Met four people at the ranger station pulling a permit for Devil's Slide. Told them we would see them on top - we had about the same distance to hike. Except our trail head was up 8 miles crap road that the 2500HD GMC Crew cab hated. The diesel anchors the front and I wished I had something in the bed for weight. Rides like a truck too.

Found the TH finally and quickly knocked out a couple miles. Wasn't bad, even with the late start. The boy was hurting after staying up late to watch TV. He kept going, but his pace was off.

It seems Fuller Ridge is uphill both ways. Nice steep climbs and huge decents. I knew it would suck coming home and it did not let me down.

Got those 5ish miles done and headed up toward Little Round Valley and the summit. Met up with three guys who were a blast to talk to. Their pace was slightly slower so we kept pulling away. Mike was tired and not paying attention in a tight spot on the trail and just barely stepped on a rattler. I heard it and caught a glimpse of it and instectively jerked back on his pack. It seemed like the snake was completely across the trail with the rattles in one bush and the head in another. Maybe he was just crossing. He coiled up under a bush and seemed POed. I didn't get a good look at him, but the guys who we had been hiking with off and on came by and took a few pics as best they could. One guy said he was thick as a wrist and maybe 6 feet. So it was probably pencil thin and two feet. Hopefully they will remember my email addy and I'll get a pic.

Mike perked up after that and we finished the hike to the summit. We arrived about 10 minutes after the folks we saw at the ranger station. There were just eight of total at the top. Only two tiny snow patches remained. Took the summit pics, ate and headed down.

Mike tanked up on water, I thought I had enough. Back down the trail the snake was still making noise. Again, those three guys showed up and with no other way around we beat on the bushes with a stick after the rattling had stopped. No other noise was made so we assumed he was gone and passed the choke point.

Fuller Ridge was less than fun with it's returning uphill, but we made the best of it. 20 minutes after the last water on the trail I ran out. The boy shared. Good kid.

So we did it, got the check in the block and learned a few things. Still need to re do Devil's Slide, then do Seven Pines, Deer Spings, the tram and C2C2C (Oct 9). Three down, five to go...............................DUG

Last edited by DUG; 07/09/10 10:34 PM.
DUG #5898 07/11/10 08:00 PM
Rod Offline
You Rock DUGGERs. Crazy about Mike almost stepping on a rattler.I hate rattlers.Way too many in my yard over the years.With the kids I had too many close calls.

Rod #5899 07/11/10 08:03 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
When are we going on an EPIC Rod?......................DUG

DUG #5928 07/12/10 10:25 PM
Rod Offline
Unless I get back in shape again after being off a couple of months the epic will be you carrying me down the mountain on your shoulders.Maybe i can join you and Mike on one of your Jacinto hikes.
I am up for a little hike possibly in the next week or two to Lone Pine Lake to see what shape i am in.Maybe i'll head over to Hike out of Cottonwoods or Horsehoe Meadows.I am waiting results of my dads brain surgery today. He had a shunt put in to drain cerebral spinal fluid (hydrocephalus)off his brain.The surgery well well but we are on a wait and see on how he recovers.

Last edited by Rod; 07/12/10 10:31 PM.
Rod #5965 07/13/10 06:28 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Praying for your dad Rod!

Any chance you can make the group hike to Candlelight?

I want to do Deer Springs in early Aug. LMK if you want to come along. It would be great to have you................DUG

DUG #5967 07/13/10 09:26 PM
Rod Offline
When and where is the group hike to Candlelight? i haven't been able to check the board as much as i would like to lately.

Rod #5969 07/13/10 09:35 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
July 31st. Where? Near Candlelight! LOL - Kewl kids are taking the easy way via Meysan. Hardcore mofos are going via LPL. Me and the boy plan on heading up the night before, Moose huntin for dinner and then sleeping at the Meysan TH. You should come along......................DUG

DUG #5974 07/13/10 10:13 PM
Rod Offline
I am going to try to work that out.Sounds fun.I am a little out of shape. Havent worked out in 2 months but I do have years of training to fall back on.Some residual of it has got to still be there right? If dad is stable I will try to make it up to the Portal to hike to LPL this Saturday afternoon to test my conditioning or lack there of.And sorry to sound stupid but I didn't know where Candlelight was.

Last edited by Rod; 07/13/10 10:15 PM.
DUG #5993 07/14/10 02:09 PM
S
S
July 31st. Where? Near Candlelight! LOL - Kewl kids are taking the easy way via Meysan. Hardcore mofos are going via LPL. Me and the boy plan on heading up the night before, Moose huntin for dinner and then sleeping at the Meysan TH. You should come along......................DUG

You and Mike going on this DUGster?

SoCalGirl #6004 07/14/10 08:46 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl

You and Mike going on this DUGster?

Yeah! You coming?.......................DUG

DUG #6020 07/15/10 09:20 AM
S
S
I don't know... I took a look at the "guest" list...

SoCalGirl #6021 07/15/10 09:28 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl
I don't know... I took a look at the "guest" list...

? I'll be there and lots of other kewl people. So what if some evil, $;&?)(), is gonna be there? Don't let her run your life. Wait until she sees my Flickr comments! LOL............DUG

DUG #6031 07/15/10 11:33 AM
S
S
10 miles round trip, right? I'm not sporting the best of shape right now...

SoCalGirl #6037 07/15/10 01:33 PM
And you can turn around wherever you choose. Dun need to go to the top: journey, lilsis, journey...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #6041 07/15/10 03:44 PM
S
S
My own summit, right bigsis?....

MooseTracks #6045 07/15/10 06:14 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
And you can turn around wherever you choose. Dun need to go to the top: journey, lilsis, journey...

And my man "Sherpa Mike" will be there. Go packless and free. What are kids for? Carpool up even. Man this deal is getting good. Moose huntin' for dinner, the kewl kids all together, a punk hike with a sherpa that you can bail from at any time - um, HOW can you say no? I dare say you CAN'T.............................DUG

DUG #6048 07/15/10 08:00 PM
NOW y'all are talkin' sense... grin

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard