Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
looking for hiking partner for Mon 7/26 day hike
#6117 07/18/10 02:24 PM
L
Laura C Offline OP
OP Offline
L
[cross-posted on Mt Whitney Portal Store message board]

I will be making my second Mt Whitney day hike (Main Trail) next Mon, July 26. Last year I was with a slower group and we did it in 16 hours total hike time. This year I wanted to try again, doing something at my regular pace. I had someone with a similar pace who won't be able to join me so I'm looking for some somewhat last-minute company on the trail.

This year, barring weather problems or unexpected altitude issues, I'm aiming for a total time of 12-13 hours. Some of my recent hike times include the following:

- San Gorgonio, Vivian Creek Trail, 17 miles - 9 hr 45 min
- Bear Canyon to 3Ts, Mt Baldy / Icehouse Canyon area, 19.5 miles - 9 hr 30 min
- San Jacinto, Devils Slide/PCT, 16 miles - 7 hr 45 min
- Mt Baldy, Ski Hut and Devil's Backbone Trail loop, 10.5 miles - 5 hours

I share these times not because I'm trying to race to the top of Mt Whitney. I definitely want to enjoy the views, take photos, and, hopefully, bask in pride at the summit! Rather I have found it's best to hike with someone at a similar pace, if possible. Compared to most women, I keep a pretty fast pace, esp. on the uphill (downhill I'm average at best- my poor knees slow me down). I can keep pace with a lot of guys too, but not a 3 mph uphill pace!

I'm not looking for someone to stay "joined at the hip" throughout the hike, but was hoping I might find some company and someone to share some time on the trail with. If I need to do it solo, that's fine too.

I have campsite at the Whitney Portal campsite for Sat and Sun nights that I'm sharing with several other people also doing the Monday hike (but likely a slower pace), and am happy to extend an invite to stay there to whomever's hiking with me. Welcome to join my group for our easier acclimatizing hikes too, but not necessary. As far the the Whitney hike I would probably start the hike around 2:30am in the wee hours of Monday morning.

Interested? Send me a message!

Laura

Re: looking for hiking partner for Mon 7/26 day hike
Laura C #6138 07/19/10 10:09 AM
Hi Laura,
It sounds like you are well prepared. I have hiked Vivian Creek many times and I think it is the best SOCAL trail for preparing for the Whitney trail. I have also hiked the other trails you mentioned. One of my best hikes was from Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak to Lytle Creek to Alta Loma where I was living at the time.
July 13th a group of five of us went up the Whitney trail. This was my fourth attempt, two twenty years ago and one last year. The other four hikers: this was their first time hiking more than a couple hours. We left at 11:15P 7/12. A firefighter in the group dropped out before we got to two miles. The rest of us made it to Trail Camp by sunrise. The others, having not ever doing anything like this before wanted to turn back, which we did. I was a little disappointed I did not make it this year, but I have made it in the past, so I just thought I would go up next year alone.
I think a 11PM prior day start was a good thing, as you will completely miss the heat below Trail Camp. The trail is so clear a good head lamp is all that is needed.
If you want someone to hike with I would love to go, but if you leave at 2AM you will have plenty of company. Last year I was passing and being past by a group from Wisconson, they asked me to join their group. Which I did. It was great meeting new people.
Have fun, I am sure you will make your goals.
Remember wherever the mind goes the body will follow.

Link Copied to Clipboard