0 members (), 156 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First Timer Initial Report for July 25th ascent
#6313 07/27/10 11:52 AM
OP Offline
Some Initial thoughts on my first ascent of Mt Whitney, July 25, 2010.

Weight: 180
Height: 6'3"
Very Fit for my age.
Stayed overnight at trail camp on the 24th.
Acclimated by staying at Horseshoe Meadow one night and then another at the Portal Campground.
Starting pack weight at the Portal: 24.5lbs (food and water included)
Ending pack weight:(with Wag Bag -- don't ask) 22 lbs.

Section between Outpost Camp and Trail Camp has switchbacks which are worse with taller step ups and steeper grade than the 99 switch back from Trail Camp to Trail Crest. Except for the issue of altitude, if you can make these switchbacks then you can do the 99. And Don't Count Them! No one agrees on the number and it only makes you pay too much attention to how many there are. There are a lot. Just leave it at that.

Step ups on both sections average between 7-10 inches mostly but many are 10-15 or taller. Making the 10-15 inch ones shorter by carefully choosing your foot placement will help make the climb easier.

Having something to distract you from the relentless climb may be helpful. I listened to a Terry Prachett novel read by Stephen Briggs, hilarious and diverting.

99 switchbacks are surprisingly moderate in their grade.

For the lower section of the switchbacks there are many times when you have to cross running water from snow melt or walk in the trail running with water. (One could see this as an added source of supply if you wanted to skimp on your water carrying.)

Training really helps. Doing training which strengthens your stepping up and down muscles makes all the difference. I climbed the 3600 feet of net elevation to the top of Mt Wilson every Friday for several months with my pack at 25 lbs.

I found wearing my trail runners was effective in making this climb. You really, really don't need mountaineering boots or any heavy boot to make this climb. Most people I saw on the trail were wearing lighter footwear with many wearing trail runners.

3 liters of water with hydration tabs like Elixer (highly recommended) in the water is about all you need to do the actual climb and descent to and from Trail Camp. I had 3 liters and got back to Trail Camp with about 1 liter left.

I found that eating Snickers bars and carrying a couple of GU squeeze tubes really was all I needed for energy and nourishment.

Trekking poles are a must. But learn to use them effectively before doing Whitney.

Climb can be divided into 3 sections.
1.Switchbacks to Trail Crest. Moderate Grade. See above comments.
2.Trail Crest contouring to Mt Whitney behind the Needles. Very rocky! Unstable footing in many places. A lot of rock hopping.
3.Whitney serpentine trail to the Summit. Gentle grade up the slope of the back of the mountain following a snake like path.

I'll post my more detailed Trail Report when I have had a chance to copy my trail journal notes and clean them up.

Re: First Timer Initial Report for July 25th ascent
Yosemite Sam #6316 07/27/10 03:35 PM
Sam, congrats on the summit - great job! Look forward to your more detailed TR - especially on your overnight pack. That's a pretty good weight.

Out of curiosity, which Pratchett novel? He's one of my favorites.

Bulldog34 #6317 07/27/10 05:23 PM
OP Offline
I was listening to "Going Postal." If you have not listened to Briggs' rendition of his works, you are really missing something. Like listening to a full cast recording complete with voices for each character which are consistent across all of the books he has read for Prachett.
My pack is the result of years of refining the stuff that goes into it. I use the calculator you can find at backpacking gear weight calculator found here: http://www.backpacking.net/featured3.html

When I get a momment I will post my pack for you to see. Even on a 4-5 night hike my pack is around 24-26lbs. I usually carry 1-1.5L of water and 22oz per day of food. I hate bear cans so I usually use my Ursack which weighs in a 7.5oz. But as you know can't use these in areas that require the cans. So I use the bear vault 500 which still weighs in at 30oz. (Read between the lines.)The real secret is getting the weight down for your pack, sleeping bag system and tent. Mine are respectively 2.2 lbs, 1.4lbs and 17 oz.

Yosemite Sam #6323 07/28/10 08:06 AM
Rod Offline
Great job and trip report.I would love to see your pack, sleep system and tent.

Rod #6324 07/28/10 10:35 AM
OP Offline
Rod
OK. I'll deal with that now.
My pack is an Osprey Exos 58 weighing 35oz
My summer bag, which I use most of the time, is a Montbell Long superstretch #4 which is rated to 35 degrees weighing 23 oz. I supplement that with a Montbell UL down jacket weighing 7 oz and a pair of Montbell down UL pants weighing another 6 oz. Using these three items, I can effectively and comfortably sleep down to about 20-25 degrees. This is my sleep system.
My tent is a Gossamer Gear "The One" tent weighing 17 oz.

Yosemite Sam #6328 07/28/10 06:47 PM
Rod Offline
Thanks YS
Here is a link to my Six Moons gatewood Cape.It is a 11 oz. shelter and rain poncho.I love it.Beats my 2lb 3 season Eureka tent.
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45

Link Copied to Clipboard