Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First Trip 9/6/10
#6702 08/18/10 05:52 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm planning my first Whitney hike on 9/6/10. My biggest worry is altitude as I live in Ohio and cannot plan for it. We only have 3 days and are going to bring Diamox...so we will see. Question: should we use one trek pole or two? I've been training with one but I am not sure. I've read a Whitney book and read the trip stories here a lot. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: First Trip 9/6/10
CincyHiker #6704 08/18/10 06:31 AM
CincyHiker, hope you have a great experience. It's a shame you have such limited time, but going the Diamox route is probably the best idea. Coming from the eastern lowlands, I like to give myself 4-5 days above 10,000 feet before heading up Whitney. If I couldn't do that, I'd be taking Diamox too.

Trekking poles are designed to be used in tandem, and I would strongly suggest you get comfortable with two before you head out there. Using two distributes your climbing energy a little better, but for me the biggest benefit is the added balance and sure footing they provide - I've never taken a tumble since I've been using them. Trust me, you'll appreciate that on many sections of the Whitney Trail. That, and the stress-reduction on your kness during that 11-mile down-hike. They really help with some of the tougher water crossings as well.

If you haven't used trekking poles much, be sure your grip is correct through the wriststraps (up and through, palm dropped on the strap joint, with a very light finger-grip on the handle; let the wriststrap do most of the work - that's what it's there for), otherwise they can be an energy drainer, and even a danger. I see people all the time who are gripping trekkng poles incorrectly and not getting the full benefit from them. Once you're used to the mechanics of properly using them, without a death-grip on the handle, you'll feel absolutely naked without them.

I would also suggest you read the "Orientation Notes for First-Timers" here (under "Feature Topics" on the main message board page, link on the left). These were extremely helpful to me my first time. Also, wbtravis has a great page for Whitney hiking that I found very beneficial ( here ). If I recall correctly, he's a huge proponent of trekking poles as well.

And post your questions. Plenty of helpful folks on this board with a ton of Whitney and Sierra experience.

CincyHiker #6710 08/18/10 07:14 AM
Originally Posted By: CincyHiker
I'm planning my first Whitney hike on 9/6/10. My biggest worry is altitude as I live in Ohio and cannot plan for it. We only have 3 days and are going to bring Diamox...so we will see. Question: should we use one trek pole or two? I've been training with one but I am not sure. I've read a Whitney book and read the trip stories here a lot. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Day or overnight hike? Since you are hiking during the Labor Day weekend, I am guessing a day hike.

If you have the cardio and the leg strength, then I do not foresee any problems on the trail. I have seen "sea level devils" and good ole boys from Iowa make it to the top because of their conditioning.

Three very important things:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
Pace, pace, pace
Nibble, nibble, nibble

Trekking poles: As Bulldog34 mentioned, trekking poles are an asset on the trail IF THEY ARE USED PROPERLY! Having a "death grip" on the poles will increase arm fatigue. There is a DVD. Your local library may have one or you can go online or purchase it. When I first saw the DVD I said "Yeah, right." Then I applied those techniques. Wow.

Diamox: I don't use it. I have my reasons. There are others who attest to their benefits. I respect their opinions, but I opt to never take it. If the mountain doesn't want me at the top, then I guess I head back down. Next time? Through better preparation, you're (the mountain) mine. Another notch in my trekking pole.

There will be others providing information on their experiences. Take in what you can.

The Orientation Notes and wbtravis' website are MUST READS! If you are flying from the holy state of Ohio in the holy city of Cincinnati, print out both for you to read! Also, print out the "what can go wrong," too. Read the good and the bad. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Camping or staying in town: Doug's Hostel is the best bang for the buck. Don't know if you have made reservations for camping or plan on a walk-in. If camping, you can take a shower at the Hostel for $5.00. Get your $5 worth! You might want to bring soap and shampoo just in case. They have plenty of towels.

There will be others on the trail. Some experienced, others not so experienced. Make friends. Find a group that are going at your pace. Something about the MWT that brings out the good in people.

Food: If you are on a "special" diet, forget it! Let it all out. You gotta have a pancake or burger and fries at the Portal. Also, the Alabama Hills Cafe has excellent food. There are also two espresso places with wifi. Subway. Seasons has excellent food in a semi-formal atmosphere. The Pizza Factory! These are my preferred choices. Your choices may differ. There is a McDonald's. Refer to the Orientation notes about the layout of Lone Pine.

Incidentals: Stop by the Museum if you can. That is where the webcam is! As for the Williamson webcam, that is a little farther north on the 395 in the holy city of Independence.

Camera: Don't forget that camera! Be sure to bring along an extra chip and extra battery. Store that extra battery in a warm place as to not drain the power. Take plenty of pictures for all of us to see. ESPECiALLY THE SUMMIT REGISTER! Be sure to take a picture of the "Starbucks" at the summit. It is NOT a mirage! Then there is the crowd fave of the sign on that rock. Also, the 5 or so summit markers. Too bad the toilet is gone. If you have problems posting your pictures of you on the summit (hint), Steve C or anyone else with experience on this (but not me) will be more than willing to help.

Oh, and when you are in the holy city of Lone Pine, relishing your accomplishment, you can look west towards "Mecca West" and gloat, "I was up there." Yeah, it is a good feeling down deep inside.

Hope this helps.

Most importantly...

Have fun.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #6711 08/18/10 07:33 AM
There are a number of these trekking pole instructional videos on YouTube. Here's a good one from Backpacker.

And as the "Tude man always reminds us - Have Fun!

CincyHiker #6713 08/18/10 07:36 AM
W
W
I'm a Diamox user and I would not recommend it use until you establish a problem with high elevations. I know my opinion is in the minority. I had problems my first trip with headaches, two years later I drank and drank and the only symptom I had was slight nausea on the summit, which went away by the time I reached Trail Crest.

I my opinion, two poles are better because your upper body is helping you whereas as all you get out of one pole is better balance.

+ @ti2d #6714 08/18/10 08:06 AM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
nibble, nibble, nibble

Food: If you are on a "special" diet, forget it! Let it all out. You gotta have a pancake or burger and fries at the Portal. Also, the Alabama Hills Cafe has excellent food. There are also two espresso places with wifi. Subway. Seasons has excellent food in a semi-formal atmosphere. The Pizza Factory! These are my preferred choices. Your choices may differ. There is a McDonald's. Refer to the Orientation notes about the layout of Lone Pine.

CincyHiker, Pay special attention to this if you've not done this kind of serious mountain before. Chances are once you get over 10,000 feet, you won't feel like eating. That has always been my biggest problem at elevation, and it's extremely common. You will burn about 6000 calories on Whitney, so you need as many of them as possible in your system before you hit the trailhead. Protein is good but carbs are by far the best - the two days before Whitney, take in as many complex carbs as you can (pasta, breads, rice, potatoes). These will give you an energy store for the long haul instead of the quick energy burst of simple carbs. Save those sugary simple carbs for the mountain itself when you need a pick-me-up.

For the mountain, take foods that normally appeal to you. Don't load your pack with stuff you think will help you if it's not the kind of food you normally enjoy. With a suppressed appetite, you just won't eat them. Eating is a chore above 12,000 feet, and where you'll really need the food in your belly is coming down those 11 miles. Don't think that because it's downhill that it's easy and the miles will fly by. You're much more prone to exhaustion and fatigue issues coming down than going up.

Personally, I eat as much pasta and bread as I can during the 48 hours before a Whitney start, or any other hard trek. It's almost impossible to take in too many helpful calories before heading up the mountain. I promise you, you'll weigh less coming down than when you started.

Bulldog34 #6717 08/18/10 10:09 AM
Be advised that my post about the "food" is for "recreational purposes only" at recreational altitude 8,365 at the Portal Store or at 3,700 in Lone Pine before or after your hike. grin

To further confirm BD34 statement, food tastes "different" at 10k or above.

Don't go purchasing chipotle beef/turkey jerky if you are not eating it now. sick

Eat foods you are accustomed to. I prefer mini-Snickers, honey snacks, Payday candy bars.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #6727 08/18/10 04:01 PM
T
T
CincyHiker: I don't have the level of Whitney experience that some of the other guys who have already responded have, but I can offer my recent personal experience of also being a sea level dweller coming out to Whitney with only three total days to for the trip. (Sound familiar?)

My son and I flew out 10 days ago from Orlando and arrived in Lone Pine mid-day on Saturday. We spent that afternoon at Horseshoe Meadows, (approx 10,000') and camped at HM that night. This only gave us 24 hours of acclimatization time. We hit the trail the next day on Sunday camping at Upper Boy Scout Lake at 11,350'. On Monday, we made it to the summit and hiked out. We did not take Diamox or do anything other than really pound the water. Other than a little heavy breathing and a slight headache for me, we were fine. I do think the night at HM was helpful.

Altitude is a funny thing. It effects people of similar age, BMI, and fitness differently.

Maybe we just got lucky, but I do think we helped ourselves by being in pretty good shape. We didn't train specifically for the trip, but my son plays high school lacrosse and I run/train with a bunch of hard core fast marathoners who do their best to try to kill me. In fact they do such a good job I have only been able to get one marathon in due to being injured a bunch from running with these knuckle heads. (Yeah I know, I need to find a slower group).

I do believe that conditioning helps shorten the aclimatization adjustment window, but there are certainly plenty of very fit people who don't do well at altitude without ample adjustment time.

On a related note, I have been to the summit of the Grand Teton, (13,770), twice with two of my good buddies. We all three live in the same place, are of the same age, have similar body types, and seem to perform at altitude directly proportional to our cardio conditioning. In other words the guy with the best cardio conditioning at the time of the trip does the best and the guy with worst cardio takes the altitude beat down the worst.

I agree with the others, definitely go with the two poles.

Train hard, best of luck and let us know how your do.
Kent Williams

trail runner #6733 08/19/10 06:12 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks to everyone so far for the advice - it's great. I've read just about everything posted on this site (First timers, what can go wrong, etc.) and I read the trip reports daily. Trail Runner - I read your story and love that you made such a great memory with your son! I love all the stories and pictures - truly hope I'm in one of them! I've actually been planning this since January and have upped my cardio significantly. My biggest hurdles for this trip are altitude, weather and hydration/nutrition as I tend to loose my appetite when exerting myself. We plan to go pretty slow though.

CincyHiker #6735 08/19/10 08:16 AM
...I love all the stories and pictures - truly hope I'm in one of them!

You will be!

...have upped my cardio significantly...

That is one-half of the battle preparation. I hiked with a gentleman who never hiked in his life. He was a mountain biker and was in very good shape. He made it up to the summit without a problem. Sometimes, our minds play tricks on us. Yeah, we may think we are in shape, but once we get on that trail we realize, "Well, maybe..."

...My biggest hurdles for this trip are altitude, weather and hydration/nutrition as I tend to loose my appetite when exerting myself...

Hydration and nutrition you have control over. I, too, lose my appetite, but I occasionally nibble on the candy bars. My "hurdle" is from Trail Crest to the summit. This is the first of three of the "I-hate-this-part-of-the-trail" (the second is the dipsy-doodle down to the JMT junction back up to TC and the third is from Lone Pine Lake to the Portal on the descent). Two point five miles. I count off 100 steps, stop, rest, sip, continue. Are we there yet? Continue the cycle. Pacing was critical to my success. I got there eventually one step at a time.

...We plan to go pretty slow though.

Sounds like a great strategy! Hey, there is nothing wrong with a 1 mph pace heading up.

Have fun!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #6738 08/19/10 09:15 AM
S
S
What they all said! One note, though... when I was in the best cardio condition several decades ago was when I got the worst altitude sickness. Hauling a heavy pack up 5k feet to a 12k elevation was possible back then. But then I'd be pretty sick by next morning.

Take a lighter pack and do what you said: go slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard