0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Advice for Mountaineer's Route
CaT #6451 08/04/10 09:48 AM
At the risk if piling on, a little rock climbing experience goes a long way. Climbing in the gym will help, but you won't learn routefinding skills. Practicing scrambling is great. You can build your skills and confidence without getting very far off the ground. An afternoon or two of top roping lower fifth class outdoors will make you wonder why anyone would stress over the final 400.

Downclimbing IS harder than going up, but that's mostly because nobody practices it. If you practice with a rope, practice climbing down without tension.

Bring good footwear. My trail runners were marginal last week. Many light hiking boots have reasonably sticky rubber. Approach shoes are light with sticky rubber. If the final 400 still seems intimidating, bring a pair of rock shoes.

bobpickering #6458 08/04/10 08:51 PM
CaT Offline
True, wall climbing doesn't help overall route finding much; but my main mention of it was related to helping with the fear of heights and getting used to looking for handholds/footholds as well as to the vertical orientation and for learning some of the basics of rock climbing, all of which come in handy outdoors in places like the e-ledges, the Rockwell shortcut, and the final chute, to name a few familiar examples. Learning to wall climb gave me a huge confidence boost in what I could do and attempt, and it changed my entire mental outlook on all of this. I now look at everything, from the e-ledges to even some day wanting to try climbing the East Face, a whole lot differently than I did only 2-3 years ago in my pre-wall climbing days.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #6747 08/19/10 12:58 PM
OP Offline
CaT....Is it really only appx 4.5 miles from the Portal to the summit?

Bulldog: checking the videos and pics

DUG....I may need you to hold my hand....your son sounds incredible. Congrats on that.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #6749 08/19/10 06:00 PM
T
T
Joe: This might be of interest. I think it is actually closer to 6 miles each way on the MR. When I was on the MR on 8/8 & 8/9 I took along my Garmin 405 running watch just for kicks. If you are not familiar with the Garmin 405, they are pretty slick and I believe very accurate. If you run a certified 10K course or whatever the mileage is right on.

According to my Garmin it was 3.40 miles from the trailhead to UBSL, and 3,186' of elevation gain. This would likely include me getting slightly off route once and going too high.

From UBSL to Iceberg Lake the Garmin showed 1.63 miles and 1,315' of elevation gain. The hiking time is off as I left it running during some of the water breaks and also left it running while I was walking around for several minutes at Iceberg Lake, so it will be a little less than 1.63 miles.

The Garmin shows the total as 5.03 miles from the TH to Iceberg Lake and 4,501' feet of elevation gain. Unfortunately my watch battery died at Iceberg Lake, so I didn't record any data up the gully. The watch battery is made to get you through a marathon, but apparently not for a two day hike. Obviously we know it is approximately another 1,874' from Iceberg Lake to the summit. The Garmin seems very accurate on the road, but who knows in this application. I do not claim this to be any more accurate than other measurements others may have done. Take it for what it is worth. If for some strange reason anybody has a burning curiosity I can e-mail a link to the downloaded data from the watch.

Kent Williams

trail runner #6756 08/19/10 10:12 PM
S
S
Well I am quite curious. You can email me or PM me a link.

The distances seem pretty high. I am wondering if the watch possibly did some "ziz-zaging" due to being down in a canyon. The Spot devices produce some erroneous way points in there sometimes.

Steve C #6760 08/20/10 04:35 AM
T
T
Will do Steve. Yeah, it may be off as the Garmin 405 wasn't made for this application. I will say that they are spot on when running as they pull from multiple satellites. They also seem to correct themselves somehow if you temporarily lose satellite signal when running under dense trees or beneath huge sky scrapers. Accurate up this canyon.....who knows? I will email you the link so you can check it out.

Kent

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard