Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Aug 19 Whitney trail, first timer
#6838 08/23/10 11:23 AM
D
DanR Offline OP
OP Offline
D
First timers on Aug 19.
Start: 230am
Trail camp: 630
Trail crest: 815
Summit: 945
Left summit: 1045
Finished: 4pm
13.5 hrs.

Personal thoughts: We did this with 12 hrs acclimatization. This wasn't text book, but luckily it worked out for us. I felt it on the switch backs when I started to huff and puff through the mouth. We slowed down and I mainly breathed in and out through my nose to slow my breathing and it made a big difference. I had read where COPD patients should breathe out through pursed lips to allow more oxygen a chance to get in their blood stream. I kept this in mind in the hard places at high altitude and it seemed to help. I'm not a medical professional at all but would love to hear someone else's opinion on this.

I am 5'6" and was hiking with a friend 6'3". I could not keep up with his long stride. Put the slower person in front.

Train harder than you think you should. It will only make the trip easier. Remembered an interview with Lance Armstrong when he was asked why he makes the Alpes look so easy. He said, come watch me train and when you see me crying and vomitting you'll know why.

I researched the hell out of this trip. From this board and personal accounts I felt very comfortable with venturing onto a new trail.

We filtered our water on our way up at trail camp and on our way down at the switch backs. Probably used 2 liters on our way up to trail camp, 2.5 l's round trip from trail camp to summit and back to switchbacks, then 2 more back Whit portal.

Hardest parts of the trip. The last 4 miles coming back and having to use the damn wag bag. Any long day hike I've done the last few miles coming back are the roughest. And I am a dayhiker, and only an occasional backpacker. Would rather not crap in a hole or a bag if I can help it. Swore to myself I wouldn't use that wag bag and haul around my own crap. I was making myself way too uncomfortable trying to hold it so I broke down. Have to admit I felt much better. And yes I hauled it out and disposed of it properly.

Best part: The people on the trail. Wish all people in the world had the attitudes of the hiking community.

Dan

Re: Aug 19 Whitney trail, first timer
DanR #6839 08/23/10 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: DanR
...I had read where COPD patients should breathe out through pursed lips to allow more oxygen a chance to get in their blood stream. I kept this in mind in the hard places at high altitude and it seemed to help. I'm not a medical professional at all but would love to hear someone else's opinion on this...

Mountaineer breathing. Like trying to blow out a candle. Expands the alveolar sacs in the lungs.

Yes, it does work for me.

Congratulations to both on your summit!

What? No burger or beer?

Have fun...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #6840 08/23/10 12:24 PM
D
DanR Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you. Mountaineer breathing, learn something new everyday. Burger and beer the night before, pizza and beer post hike. And met Doug chasing bears away from all the campers, great guy.

DanR #6841 08/23/10 01:05 PM
Oh, one other thing for your "next Whitney hike"...

No need to filter water!

You can do it the Bob R way: Through your teeth.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #6842 08/23/10 01:23 PM
D
DanR Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Oh believe me, we thought about that each time we passed a stream but each time we chickened out. I know a lot of the regulars don't filter and I did drink a cup full unfiltered on our way up the switchbacks just to say I did. Stopping and filtering actually gave us a great excuse to get a longer break than usual.

DanR #6843 08/23/10 02:00 PM
S
S
Thanks for posting the report, Dan.

Your hiking times were pretty good. What sort of conditioning did you do for the hike?

On the unfiltered water: Bob R's word:
    60000 Liters of Water Consumed -- Untreated

Steve C #6844 08/23/10 03:00 PM
D
DanR Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I turned 46 on the day of my Whitney hike just to add to the fun.

I regularly jog 3 miles, 3 times a week. Usually a bit more. I live in So Cal so have access to lots of hills and mountains. I did do San Gorgonio (11,500) 2 weeks prior. But my biggest training probably comes from a well established trail almost in my backyard. It's 1000 ft in .75 miles. It's hard but short. Also walking lunges when ever I remember to. Down the driveway to get the paper, bedroom to kitchen etc. Then I try and do very little 5-7 days prior to a big hike. My body likes the rest.

I don't conserve water on the trail and have a mix of real food and powerbar gels and cliff bars. I unfortunately always over pack and started with 20 lbs and had 10 when I reweighed at the end.

I tend to use one treking pole. Had both in my pack until Trail Camp, then broke them out the rest of the trip. One for me and one for my friend.

And I was just probably lucky to not get altitude sickness. That was my real worry. Mileage and elevation gain didn't worry me, but I had never hiked over 11,500

DanR #6857 08/23/10 07:28 PM
Rod Offline
Sounds very "text book" to me. Excellent job. great time RT BTW. Actually the mountaineering breathing by pursing the lips and blowing forces oxygen back into the lungs.

Link Copied to Clipboard