Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Overnight hike to the Gambler's Special
Taylor #18594 09/21/11 02:28 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Too early in the season with such a heavy snow pack. Might be good in a few weeks. With the site getting so much attention lately and the hike really not that hard, I'm afraid it will be picked clean by looters. Sad......................DUG

DUG #18643 09/22/11 06:09 PM
T
T
The register at the site is intact and still in the same place. I will never go back up there again.

DUG #18654 09/23/11 08:27 AM
T
T
The families that I now represent have demanded that nobody return to the grave yard of there loved ones. CLSAR was caught planning a trip to clean up and remove artifacts with out notifying family and legal action may be taken against them. This was known by several people who kept the information from family. Legal action is being taken as I write this to protect the site and making entry illegal so to speak. My visit to the site was in honor of the families and to bring closure. and not as a trophy hike. So that being said once again I will repeat The families of the victims of FLT 708 have demanded that "nobody enter the site ever again"!!!!!

Taylor #18657 09/23/11 12:39 PM
Bee Offline
Interesting. Personally, I have zero interest in visiting death/wreckage sites (not my thing), but I will be really interested in how the families "that you represent" are going to declare public lands closed to the public. There are thousands of crash sites such as these (one comes to mind is Grand Canyon) and to my knowledge, none of the sites on public lands have been closed off (to my knowledge; I stand corrected if the facts state otherwise) Until otherwise declared closed, I believe that your heartfelt declarations/intimidating assertions with triple exclaimations will serve only to stir interest........ Maybe I will take a stroll up to the site.

As far as the SAR team accusations are concerned, unless you are willing to present the facts/proof along with your legal wagging, I suggest you take it somewhere else, as we are strong supporters of the SAR teams and any such negativity is viewed in a dim light unless otherwise proven.

I speak for myself and not for anyone else on the board.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #18658 09/23/11 12:58 PM
T
T
Of all of the accounts that I have read of trips to the Gambler's Special, every one has been very reverent and respectful of the site. I could certainly understand if any victims were left at the site, but the accounts that I read were that the recovery teams were very diligent about bringing all of the remains down off the mountain.

It seems odd that there is a tone that is somewhat threatening when everyone has been so respectful.

Taylor #18661 09/23/11 01:36 PM
S
S
Taylor, it sounds like someone is pretending to carry more power and control than they have by harassing you. Sites where people die are all over the place. This one happens to be in a very remote place, so it is not visited often.

But to try to declare it off limits is like making every cemetery a holy shrine never to be entered.

Tell them good luck with their demands.

Taylor #18678 09/23/11 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Taylor
The families that I now represent have demanded that nobody return to the grave yard of there loved ones. CLSAR was caught planning a trip to clean up and remove artifacts with out notifying family and legal action may be taken against them. This was known by several people who kept the information from family. Legal action is being taken as I write this to protect the site and making entry illegal so to speak. My visit to the site was in honor of the families and to bring closure. and not as a trophy hike. So that being said once again I will repeat The families of the victims of FLT 708 have demanded that "nobody enter the site ever again"!!!!!

What is CLSAR?
Since when is plane and helicopter wreckage considered "artifacts"? The families have had 42 years to recover any lost property from their loved ones. CLMRG and others recovered remains many years ago. Maybe writing your story will help bring some family members that need closure.

Tomcat_rc #18685 09/24/11 09:23 AM
Rod Offline
CLSAR = China Lake Search and Rescue.But I am sure that was a rhetorical question.
There is no law to prevent someone from hiking to such revered place in Whitney lore as The Gambler's Special site. Out of respect to those that died I would hope no one would disturb artifacts that have been left behind as gravemarkers to the tragic death of those who who crashed. The artifacts might be there for the picking but like those who disturbed the sacred Indian Burial Grounds there is a karmic price to be payed.

DUG #18703 09/24/11 09:08 PM
T
T
Before this goes any further first the comment I made to CLSAR was completely out of line and I apologize with embarrassment to myself. Several family members where shocked about hearing about a potential clean up. I apologize to the CLSAR again and will take responsibility for the comment. I now have seen what I have done and actually feel pretty ashamed. The other comments about demanding not to go to the site as you know are foolish as well. I believe I should shut my trap and the book project and go my own way as I feel I have done too much wrong. I once again apologize to all that I have insulted and offended, especially the MWHA and CLSAR. I no longer feel its a good idea to write a book.

Rod #18712 09/25/11 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Rod
CLSAR = China Lake Search and Rescue.But I am sure that was a rhetorical question.
There is no law to prevent someone from hiking to such revered place in Whitney lore as The Gambler's Special site. Out of respect to those that died I would hope no one would disturb artifacts that have been left behind as gravemarkers to the tragic death of those who who crashed. The artifacts might be there for the picking but like those who disturbed the sacred Indian Burial Grounds there is a karmic price to be payed.

Rod - Not a rhetorical question. The China Lake Mountain Rescue Group goes by CLMRG. I did not want to assume what the poster was referring to. I know many of CLMRG involved with the 1969-1970 event are still active members.

Taylor - your post was heartfelt with great honesty. It takes a stand up man of good character to write and goes along way to earning respect - at least in my book. Are you so sure now you want to scrap the book idea. If anything, the emotions and concerns of people some 40 years later might indicate that indeed there is a story that bears telling. When you are embroiled in the center, sometimes it is hard to see as others do not so deeply involved. You may consider taking a break and then look back - you may still find a story worthy and of merit that screams to be written.

Dare to dream

Tomcat_rc #18728 09/26/11 12:34 PM
Rod Offline
My bad Tom. You are so right.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard