Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Three Angels and One Angel In Training
#7230 09/12/10 02:37 PM
OP Offline
The Three Angels, Tammy, Sandy and Lynn and the new Angel in Training, Virginia, are all at Virginia's house today with our backpacking gear going over our checklist to make sure everyone has what they need for our Mt. Whitney hike beginning 9/18/10 and to especially make sure we don't pack duplicate items in order to make certain our packs stay as light as possible.

Our hike will take 4 days and three nights. We will journal daily on paper and post our trip report upon our return to civilization.

We have a question at this time in our preparation. Our question is, "Do we need to pack insect repellant?"

Why we call ourselves Angels: If you are wondering why we call ourselves Angels it is because the name was given to us by Simon in 2005. Simon is the guy we found ourselves lost with in the middle of the night when we couldn't make it back to our campsite because of nightfall and because it was so dangerous trying to travese over the hard crusted, iced over snow in the dark. The heat of the day had melted cravasses into the snow so much so that in the dark it would be very easy to twist an ankle or even break a leg in the massive craters in the snow. Tammy, Sandy and I found the only dry piece of ground near us when we realized we were very lost. We decided that this piece of dry ground would become our bed for the night. We took our our emergency blankets out and laid on the ground huddled together to stay warm. In the middle of the night we heard someone yelling for help. We held our headlamps high over our heads and flashed them in the direction of the voice we heard until we saw the man who owned the voice, Simon. Simon was exhuasted. His breaths sounded like he was drowing in his own fluids. We helped him up the rocks to where we were, gave him some water, told him to lie between us so we could get him warm. We rubbed his arms and legs vigorously trying to put some warmth back into his body. I was wishing at this time that we had our stove with us to warm water, as Doug suggests in his book he sells at the Whitney Portal store. We had no idea what condition Simon was in, all we could do was help him the best we could. Luckily, everyone was fine in the morning when the sun came up. Ever since then, Simon has called us his Angels. We stay in touch with Simon and his friend Perry to this day. I would attach pictures here of our Mt. Whitney trek in 2005, but I don't know how to post pictures. Maybe Steve C. can help me with this task. So, this is why we call ourselves the Three Angels.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 09/12/10 07:55 PM. Reason: To add pictures and to explain why we call ourselves Angels

Lynnaroo
Re: Three Angels and One Angel In Training
lynn-a-roo #7241 09/12/10 10:47 PM
S
S
Wow! Amazing story. And lucky for Simon you three were there! It could have been a way worse outcome.

(No you don't need repellent - mosquitoes are gone for the year.)

And here are your pictures. To learn how to add pictures, read this from the Message Posting tips: Adding picture images

(Soon, WhitneyZone will be allowing direct picture uploading.)

June 2005: Three lost ladies & Asian man

2005 Ascent -- Simon's Three Angels

Simon on steep slope

Lynn at Trail Crest 6/2005 (Click for larger view)

Steve C #7242 09/12/10 10:49 PM
S
S
Lynn, how or where did you get that great last picture (titled "at Trail Crest")? It's almost as if you are on top of Mt. Muir.

Steve C #7262 09/13/10 01:05 PM
OP Offline
Steve, the rock I'm sitting on is at Trail Crest. I have no idea if it has a name. Either Tammy or Sandy took the picture of me and it has not been photoshopped. Both girls are great with a camera. Tammy is the taller girl in my avatar and Sandy is the shorter.

I plan on having my picture taken at the same spot on this year's Mt. Whitney trek.

My first photo ever taken at Trail Crest at this very spot was when I was 28 years old. I summited Mt. Whitney that year with my oldest brother, his wife and two friends. I'd post the picture, but in those days, "ancient history", .jpg's and digital cameras didn't exist (I think).

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #7369 09/14/10 10:37 PM
V
V
I remember your June 2005 story: Three ladies survive the night outside

lynn-a-roo #7514 09/17/10 07:33 AM
W
W
lynn-a-roo,

Good luck to all the angels on your Whitney adventure tomorrow. Looks like the weather should be good, hopefully the prevailing winds will keep the smoke to a minimum.

And use the bear cannister as a table during the happy hours!!

I sent you a pm.

wazzu #7671 09/22/10 09:32 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Wazzu, for your good wishes and thank you, Versatile Fred, for your note remembering us, the Three Ladies Lost.

Yippee, the good news is that all Three Angels and the One Angel in Training summited successfully on Monday 9/20/10 and we're all back at our jobs today, 9/22/10.

I will post our Trip Report soon. I'm absolutely exhausted. I wonder how the 20 year olds and 30 years olds feel after their summits.

I better get to work,
Signed....
Lynn-a-roo the Hiker Who Wishes She Were Home In Bed Asleep for Another 8-Hours

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #7672 09/22/10 09:55 AM
Congrats to all the Angels! Outstanding job! Look forward to that TR (and the photos - remember wagga's rule: no photos, it didn't happen).

Bulldog34 #7697 09/22/10 06:37 PM
OP Offline
Bulldog,

You are so funny, but I still like your rule. I told everyone I could tell during our hike that they should post their trip report on whitneyzone.com and how their report may help hikers that come after them. I must have told 100 people (hmmmm, could there be that many people on the trail to see in one day???) I'm not sure......I was oxygen deprived so I may have only told 50, but I know I told a lot of people)

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 09/22/10 06:38 PM.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #7706 09/22/10 11:12 PM
S
S
Thanks for the publicity, Lynn. So many hikers don't even know about either web site.

Here's the pictures you sent me ...so I guess it really did happen. wink

Steve C #7730 09/23/10 07:54 PM
Rod Offline
Fantastic job. Congrats to all. Everyone who summited and those that did not came out winners for the effort and the experience.I love the pictured gathered around the Hut. If you look at my avatar you see me having my spritual-emotional moment. Touching that Hut epitomized a life changing moment for me.It was my conquest for life.

Last edited by Rod; 09/23/10 07:58 PM.
Steve C #7741 09/24/10 12:21 PM
OP Offline
Steve,

Thank you for posting our photos. Your little happy face icon looks like it's winking to say, "good job". TR is still in the works...got back to work to find out that my associate who covers for my vacation and sick time fell while walking in Beverly Hills on Saturday and broke her knee...now that's a juxtaposition to imagine, me on the Summit of Whitney with no cuts, scrapes or broken bones and her in Beverly Hills injured while walking in the city...so I came back to having to fill in for my associate.

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 09/24/10 12:22 PM.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #7814 09/26/10 07:54 PM
W
W
lynn-a-roo,

Congrats to you and all the angels on a successful summit. Hope the happy hours were a success too!! wink

Can't wait to read more detail on your TR.

wazzu #7887 09/28/10 06:07 PM
OP Offline
Wazzu, this is a test to see if I can post our photos from Shutterfly. If I can't do it, I'm sure Steve C. can do it.

Set #1

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8JYt2Ldy4ZBE

Set #2

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welco...cid=EM_sharview

Wazzu, let me know if you can see our photos. Thanks.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #7891 09/28/10 07:42 PM
W
W
lynn-a-roo,

I was able to see the photos. Good job with posting the links. Based on photo # 82 in the first link, happy hours must have been great. With all the smiles and good weather, it must have been a trip of a lifetime.

I also liked #81 in the 2nd link. Very nice alpen glo photo.

lynn-a-roo #7893 09/28/10 10:09 PM
V
V
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
If I can't do it, I'm sure Steve C. can do it.

Your links work ... thanks to the UBB server recognizing your URL entries. I added two equivalent links that include captions instead of all the messy URL text. The hyperlinks contain all the messy text, but the messy text is not displayed to the readers.

The easiest way to add captions is to click on the "green globe" icon in the tool bar of the Posting Form (not the Posting Icon). It is the second icon (preceded by the "happy face"). When you click on the globe icon a dialog box pops up asking for your URL. You can paste all the messy text into this box (or use CTRL-V) and hit OK. Then you are prompted for the caption (which you can type in and hit OK). When your are done you will see some additional tags surrounding your URL and caption.

For more information in the subject, see Message Posting Tips.

VersatileFred #7897 09/29/10 08:59 AM
OP Offline
VersatileFred,
Thank you for the photo posting tips.

I should have read Steve C.'s instructions twice on how to post photos. I was in a hurry (as usual). It's been a week since I've been home and I still have posted our TR, so I thought the easiest thing to do is post our pictures, so I hastily posted them. I'm still in the learning curve on this website. Have a good day.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the Present.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #7956 10/01/10 01:07 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
I should have read Steve C.'s instructions

Actually, those are VersatileFred's instructions. We have him to thank for a huge amount of helpful information here.

Steve C #8615 10/25/10 08:46 PM
OP Offline
Finally, our trip report one month after our summit.

It wasn't easy writing a trip report about a trip where everything was perfect. My friends and I have hiked many times with each other....day hikes and over night backpacks. We've encountered many situations and made our share of mistakes, we've learned a lot from our mistakes, so this year's trip to Mt. Whitney was rather uneventful as far as any mishaps occuring. Our backpack trip went off without a hitch over four days and three nights on the trail plus an additional night at the onset in Lone Pine at the Dow Villa. Following is our trip report:

Friday, 9/17/10
Gorgeous day for a drive to Lone Pine, CA -- the drive went quickly.
Quick rest stop at Olancha for refreshments and homemade cookies (yum). Stopped at the new Ranger Station to pick up our permits, it's a lovely facility.
Arrived in Lone Pine at 1:00 p.m.
Headed for the Portal Store to see Doug Thompson and buy souvenirs.
Added Bonus: Earlene was at the Portal Store, this is our first time meeting her.
Photos with Doug and Earlene and then a quick trek around the Portal for more photos at the waterfall and lake.
Drove through the Alabama Hills on our way back to Lone Pine. Stopped at a turnout with a bulletin board about the area and saw a picture and directions to the arched rock. We hiked through the hills and searched endlessly for the arch but never found it. Gave up and drove to the Dow Villa. We wanted to stay at the hostel, but it was full. Hostel looks very nice inside & out & those working in the lobby were friendly).
Checked-in to the Dow Villa and found the room to be clean, spacious, comfortable and nicely decorated. We are very pleased with the Dow Villa and will return.
Double-checked our packs again before dinner to ensure no duplication of items carried.
Crossed the street for dinner at the Pizza Factory. Good pizza...hot and fresh. Met a guy at the table adjacent to ours browsing the internet on his laptop. He said he could access the WiFi from the hostel when he sat on the patio at the Pizza Factory...nice!
Back at the Dow Villa, we headed for the spa. We met a man and his daughter who had a one day MW hiking pass for themselves and three others beginning the next morning.

Saturday, 9/18/10 Didn't awake early.....WE'RE ON VACATION!!!
Headed across the street for breakfast at the Mt. Whitney Cafe. Delicious food and great service...very friendly.
Departed for the Portal later than we anticipated due to a flat tire. Ended up being just low on air.
Arrived at the Portal and discovered why it's probably a good idea to have one of the great pancake breakfasts at the Portal Store. By the time we arrived, day visitors had already arrived; therefore, parking was scarce.
By 10:30 a.m. we were on the trail.
My pack felt great. I was using my own pack which fits perfectly. I couldn't feel the bear canister on my back like I could in 2005 when I borrowed a friend's pack. I was careful to distribute the weight in my pack evenly by following instructions that came with my backpack. Plus, my pack is made for women, so maybe that helped too.
Our first day of hiking was thoroughly enjoyable. Final stop for the evening was Outpost Camp. Can't remember what time we arrived; however, it was still light out and we had several hours before sunset.
Saw many one-day hikers passing through Outpost Camp on their way back to the Portal. Some looked strong like they just started their hike and some looked extremely tired and one was limping from sore feet. We greeted all the hikers passing through camp asking them if they needed water, food or blister blocks. One guy asked for filtered water so we filled up his camelback.
Windy night. Thank goodness we had two, two-man tents. The temperature was perfect (for me), I never got cold.

Sunday, 9/19/10 We slept until we woke up naturally, ate breakfast, broke camp, and put on our packs and started up the mountain probably about 9 to 10 am.
Another day of enjoyable hiking. We all felt great. The scenery was a lot different from our 2005 trek. We hardly knew where we were without snow. We had lots of fun trying to remember what each area was like with snow.
Arrived at Trail Camp with plenty of daylight left to set up our tents, filter water for the next day and make dinner. Saw a lot of hikers coming down the switch backs after dark. Seeing only their headlamps on the mountain and knowing they must be cold if they didn't prepare properly which brought back bad memories of getting lost in the snow in 2005. I vowed that if any hiker came to my tent asking for shelter, they would have it, even if just to rest before heading down the mountain. It was another windy night so we all hit the sack early to stay warm and broke out reading material and headlamps.

Monday, 9/20/10 Ooops, we woke later than we had planned. Darn alarm clock I bought from Big 5 didn't go off. We must have woke up around 6:30a.m. to 7:00 a.m. We got ready and got on the trail about one hour later. (my memory of times is vague on this day). In my research while preparing for our trip I had read that in mid-September it's a good idea to plan on being back at Trail Camp by noon to 1:00 p.m. because afternoon storms can roll in and bring lightning. The switchbacks were nice, we all enjoyed this portion of the trail, especially after having to climb the chute in deep snow with crampons during our prior Whitney trip. We all made a pact with each other that if we weren't at the summit by 1:30 p.m. that we should turn around wherever we were (out of fear of repeating the mishaps of our last trip). Tammy and Virginia made it to the summit first with Sandy and I arriving approx. 45 min. to an hour later. Sandy and I are slower and Sandy likes to take lots of photos so we do a lot stopping. Our summit went well and we all arrived back at camp safely. A Ranger came by and visited with us while we were making dinner, he was a very friendly guy. We talked about the hikers that were coming down late the night before. He said he woke up several times during the night to look up at the switchbacks and said he saw people coming down all hours of the night. I asked if he ever worries about the hikers coming down late and he says that it's expected that hikers will prepare well so that they're responsible for themselves and shouldn't expect someone to come to their rescue unless it's a dire emergency. We had a nice conversation, ate dinner and jumped into our sleeping bags.

Tuesday, 9/21/10 Woke late again after another good night's sleep (at least I slept well, I love sleeping outdoors). Packed up and headed down the mountain. Virginia had suggested I buy some boot sole inserts like she had, WOW, what a difference the inserts made. Normally, I'm in pain hiking downhill, but not this time. The inserts gave me so much padding under the balls of my feet. I had bought Sof Sole Athletic inserts....they're awesome. We met a girl on the trail who was in pain from her boots, so she switched to her Teva's. We learned from our marathons that we have to wear shoes that are at least a half size to a full size larger and much wider than we would normally wear because our feet swell as we work out. I think hikers who have sore feet or blisters might want to think about switching to larger boots for their hikes to allow for swelling; however, socks should be snug so feet don't slip in the socks causing blisters. We also saw what I call a Wild Turkey on the trail just above the Portal. This bird was so docile, it even walked with us. I would wager to say that someone must feed this bird see every day. We made it back to the Portal mid-afternoon and ordered burgers (veggie for me)and fries (and beer for me - my reward). Earlene was working in the store so we got to see her again. She told me she'd tell Doug we made it down safely, not like last time.

We had a wonderful trip and plan to do it again in 2011. Next year I will take our potty chair with us. I really missed not having it. When I found out the solar toilets had been taken out and that not even the potty chair and wooden screen would be available at Outpost Camp, I decided to buy my own potty chair and bungee cord it to the back of my pack. The receptionist at work painted flowers all over the seat and wrote the letters P.Y.O.P on the seat too (pack your own poop). At the last moment at the Portal before hitting the trail, we decided it was just extra weight and left it in the car (bad decision). Never again, it's going with me next time. By the way, like Tom Dietz, I too carried down from Trail Camp someone else's wagbag they had left hidden in the rocks. Maybe they were coming back for it, but I wasn't going to take a chance that they wouldn't be back to pick it up. Somewhere on the trail, someday, someone might find my permit, it detached from my backpack when the wind blew extremely hard before arriving at Trail Camp. That's All Folks!

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #8622 10/25/10 10:04 PM
T
T
Great Trip report Lynn!

Very good point about having the right pack. It's amazing how the right equipment can make things so much more enjoyable.

I'm a strong believer in no alarm clocks in the wilderness...I vowed that I would sleep in as late as I my body would let me at consultation lake. Of course, I didn't sleep at all that night so my plans and an alarm clock turned out to be a moot point.

Interestingly, I really enjoy the switchbacks too. They look daunting, but I found that I got into a rhythm and the time went by quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard