Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions about Mapping Tools
#7028 09/01/10 09:31 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I saw a recent post naming www.spotwalla.com as a place you could link to a SPOT messenger's output to display a trip. At first look, it appears to have some nice features. But neither Spotwalla nor Google Maps have a link to topographic maps like Postholer and MyTopo.

I have found a way to use Postholer's mapping facility to display topo maps from MyTopo.com. Here's a link to the Whitney area: Mt. Whitney on Postholer.   Note that the map will display in as large an area as your browser can grow. And it is interesting that, viewing the source code of the page, it appears Postholer uses Google maps for that display. Go figure!

MyTopo.com is nice in that you can see the actual topographic map of an area, complete with trails. Mt. Whitney on MyTopo (Click the "MyTopo" button to see the topographic map.) MyTopo has several good features: You can search for a location, and determine the Latitude/Longitude coordinates of a point on the map. But it's map window is so small, it's a big drawback.

So I can use MyTopo to find a location's coordinates, then create a URL into Postholer's map facility to get an enlarged map.

And now, I have a .kml file from trailrunner of his hike up the Mountaineers Route that I'd really like to display on a full-size topo map like Postholer presents. Garmin presents the data on a tiny map (powered by Google) See this. But it would be much nicer on a bigger topographic map.

I would sure love to see a site with the features of all the above!

Anybody have any ideas? I suppose I should post these questions on a Garmin forum.

Re: Questions about Mapping Tools
Steve C #7034 09/01/10 08:55 PM
Rod Offline
Wow Steve you are becoming either a mapping guru or crossed over to a complete mapping geek.

Rod #7035 09/01/10 11:43 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Rod
Wow Steve you are becoming either a mapping guru or crossed over to a complete mapping geek.
Humph! Yeah, I know. My obsession with maps began about the same time as my love for backpacking. I'd pore over a map and decide on a trip based on the terrain and trails (or lack thereof).

And this last JMT hike, I actually got lost for an hour -- partly because I didn't pay close attention to the maps. See the trip report.

...I was afraid nobody would have any suggestions here...

Steve C #7037 09/02/10 06:13 AM
Rod Offline
What could any of us mere mapping mortals add to what you already have? I took a Cartography class as a part of one of many majors. Geology was one of them where we studied topos continously.I worked for a large grading company for years where my job was to figure the dirt that had to be moved on housing tracts mostly in the hills of Thousand Oaks and Semi Valley.I worked all day with the engineered grades superimposed over the topos. I can read a topo like reading a newspaper.When I look at a topo it literaly looks like 3D for me.

Rod #7038 09/02/10 07:15 AM
W
W
I'm a map geek, I admit it...not to Steve's degree. I'm always fiddling with TOPO! CA to cobble together trips, etc.

What amazes me are the cruise control hikers who show up on a trip clueless and without maps. I always know what to expect...it does not always turn out like I envision it but it is close enough.

I guess that is why nothing really surprised me on my first day hike up the MMWT, other than how difficult it was for someone who thought he was in great shape but wasn't.

Steve C #7043 09/02/10 09:23 AM
Hey Steve, I can help you with some of this using the postholer maps.

Originally Posted By: Steve C
So I can use MyTopo to find a location's coordinates, then create a URL into Postholer's map facility to get an enlarged map.

The easiest way to save a map location is to pan/zoom the map, set the desired map type (MyTopo), etc, until you are happy. Just above the map is a "Bookmark" link. Right click it and bookmark it. This is how I save all my map locations.

So this is Mt Whitney

Additionally, if you add &simple=1 to the end of the url, you get only the map without all the postholer fauna.

Also, to get lat/lon of any point, move your mouse over the map and the lat/lon will appear in the status bar, *IF* your browser allows this, by default it does not. In FireFox: Tools->Options->Content Tab->Javascript Pane, Advanced Button->check "Change Status Bar Text"

And now, I have a .kml file from trailrunner of his hike up the Mountaineers Route that I'd really like to display on a full-size topo map like Postholer presents. Garmin presents the data on a tiny map (powered by Google) See this. But it would be much nicer on a bigger topographic map.

The postholer site does not allow users to add kml's, solely because I can't verify the content as authentic. But for special occasions I will add kmls, such as the Station and Sheep fire perimeters from last year that affect PCT hikers this year.

Hope that helps,
-postholer

postholer.com #7046 09/02/10 10:44 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Postholer Scott: Thanks SO MUCH! You're obviously a web+mapping ACE.

> The postholer site does not allow users to add kml's

Might there be anywhere on the web where I could set up a map, as your site enables, and THEN also import/look up a kml file and overlay it on the map? ...or could you create that functionality? That would be so incredibly cool. cool

Steve C #7048 09/02/10 11:25 AM
Might there be anywhere on the web where I could set up a map, as your site enables, and THEN also import/look up a kml file and overlay it on the map? ...or could you create that functionality?

I believe Trails.com will allow you to upload and display kml's. You need to register and all that to get access, though.

The functionality was built into the postholer site long ago, but again, it's about authenticating the kml's as malicious things can be done with the clients browser with bad kml's. I'm not up for dealing with that....at the moment. That's why I don't allow the public to upload kml's or link to them.

Apologies for not being more helpful.

-postholer

postholer.com #7051 09/02/10 03:21 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: postholer.com
I believe Trails.com will allow you to upload and display kml's. You need to register and all that to get access, though.

Trails.com: 14 days Free Trial. Then... Bam! $49.95 per year.   OUCH!!! cry mad mad

I wouldn't mind paying maybe 20 bucks. ...But 50??? I wonder if all the ads disappear if you pay.

Steve C #7053 09/02/10 04:09 PM
Trails.com: 14 days Free Trial. Then... Bam! $49.95 per year.   OUCH!!! cry mad mad

Geez, now that's lame!

I hadn't visited the site in quite some time because it was painfully slow and their kml parsing was utter crap.

Being it's a pay service now, they probably cleaned it up.

Regardless, I wouldn't pay $50 for the service.

-postholer

Steve C #7173 09/09/10 09:20 AM
N
N
There is a free download called GPSBabel which allows you to convert between various formats. You can convert Google .kml format to .gpx for example, and then load the .gpx into Garmin Mapsource and/or National Geographic TOPO.

Norris #7175 09/09/10 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Norris
There is a free download called GPSBabel which allows you to convert between various formats. You can convert Google .kml format to .gpx for example, and then load the .gpx into Garmin Mapsource and/or National Geographic TOPO.

Yes, GPSBabel is a fantastic tool for converting formats!

I think Steve was looking for a public website to display his own custom .kml's, though.

postholer.com #7178 09/09/10 12:57 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well, I'm going to give GMap4 a try soon. See this link:
Gmap4 - Google Maps+topographic. View KML,KMZ,GPX,TPO

Just need to find more time at the end of a day! mad

Steve C #7255 09/13/10 11:38 AM
K
K
I'm not sure if you're looking for a free web based tool in particular, but I just got a program called TopoFusion. It's a desktop (PC) app. Like you, I was looking for a program that would allow me to do trail planning. Most importantly for me, I wanted to use Mytopo maps (the greatest IMHO) and I wanted to be able to download gpx files etc. so I could plot everyone's routes and then plan mine accordingly. The last thing for me, I just bought one of the Garmin Oregon 450's on sale at REI last week and I really wanted to get those mytopo maps and tracks onto my Garmin. I'm not so interested in tracking how far I've gone and all that stuff, I'm more interested in "where am I" as it relates to which trail I'm supposed to be on and where to make the next turn!

Last year going up the MT was a great example; It's 3am, dark, I'm working hard going up and all I need is a quick glance at my GPS showing my dot on the trail route to know I'm going the right way. Taking that guesswork out of the route is invaluable to me.

So anyway, just thought I'd mention TopoFusion, it's a little pricey but it does those 3 things I mentioned above which more than makes sense for me.

Link Copied to Clipboard