Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New to group - Hi
#7747 09/24/10 01:43 PM
OP Offline
True Power Lunch!

Had lunch yesterday with the Orange County Seven Mt. Everest summiteers (yes I was one of them) smile

Mike, Ryan, John, Denise, Paul, Cindy, Bill (the oldest American to summit Mt. Everest)

Re: New to group - Hi
Cindy Abbott #7750 09/24/10 02:03 PM
Cindy,

Thank you so much for sharing your Mt. Everest summit. I got the chills reading your advice on the Whitney Zone for another person requesting clothing advice. You are one gutsy woman, what an awesome accomplishment. I'll have to search to find more about your climb. One of the guys in your photo I have actually seen before, the man on the far left, and I recently heard about the oldest man to climb Mt. Everest, but I didn't realize he was from Orange County. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 09/24/10 02:05 PM.

Lynnaroo
Cindy Abbott #7752 09/24/10 02:45 PM
Welcome to the forums, you can show the rest of us how it's done in our tiny little mountains! =P

Cindy Abbott #7759 09/24/10 06:48 PM
Welcome to The Zone Cindy! I've enjoyed reading your posts on WPS and look forward to your participation here as well. Many, many dual users between the two boards.

Cindy Abbott #7861 09/27/10 05:14 PM
H
H
Cindy, welcome. I sometimes try here to explain medical issues, but explaining WG is way out of my league. Will keep to simple stuff like AMS/HACE/HAPE.

I looked at your site. Got a kick (literally) out of your Aconcagua story. I did something similar when I jabbed my crampons into the other foots gaiters. Fell and very nearly rolled off that mountain. Congrats on the Big E. Harvey

Harvey Lankford #7878 09/28/10 11:50 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
Cindy, welcome. I sometimes try here to explain medical issues, but explaining WG is way out of my league. Will keep to simple stuff like AMS/HACE/HAPE.

I looked at your site. Got a kick (literally) out of your Aconcagua story. I did something similar when I jabbed my crampons into the other foots gaiters. Fell and very nearly rolled off that mountain. Congrats on the Big E. Harvey

Hi Harvey,
At least when I broke my leg it was a good story: fell on Aconcagua at 19,000 ft and had to hike down to base camp. It's a lot better then "oh, I stepped off the curb wrong" cool

Trying to explain Wegener's is almost impossible!

Thanks for the congrats for Everest. That's another topic that will take a book to describe.

Cindy Abbott #7892 09/28/10 09:18 PM
Rod Offline
Welcome and a huge congrats on a successful Everest summit. That is tremendous.

Rod #7989 10/02/10 08:45 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Rod.

Everest was the most difficult thing I have ever done. Six weeks at 17,500 ft or higher take a lot of mental and physical endurance.

It was an amazing experience.

Cindy Abbott #8247 10/11/10 06:40 PM
W
W
Cindy,

I saw on your web site you will be presenting your Everest trip at the new Tustin REI store Dec 4th. Count me in to be in attendence.

Anybody else in the area able to make it?

wazzu #8250 10/11/10 11:10 PM
Rod Offline
Cindy I read some of your Blog. You have quite a story.Is your vasculitis in any way related to scuba diving or mountain climbing? .I know the Jules Stein eye institue is the best and you saw a rheumatologist. Eye vasulitis and TIA another vasulular disorder.
How did the TIAs play into all this and how did you train through all that? Anyways I was fascinated with your site and story.I have to take more time to read all of it.

Last edited by Rod; 10/12/10 09:00 AM.
Rod #8302 10/14/10 03:31 PM
OP Offline
wazzu, Glad you can come to my speaking event. I have some great photos that add a lot of perspective to climbing Everest.

Rob, You must have significant medical experience to even ask such questions - I wish you could come to the REI presentation. I have some cool medical photos I've included to help people understand the serious nature of my disease.

Diving or climbing related cause: They have not been able to relate it to anything. I have been diving for almost 20 years and with the exception of Kilimanjaro, I did not take up climbing until after I was diagnosed.

Making the decision to continue my training for Everest was difficult. No doctor had ever dealt with my situation. I was working with Dr. Peter Hackett of the Intitute for Altitude Medicine for about a year before I went. He was at the Everest ER when I was there. It was comforting to know he was only a radio call away while I was up on the mountain. Not that anything can be done once you get that high but I still found comfort knowing I could talk to him if something happened.

Anyone who steps onto that mountain understands that any rescue or help is . . . well. . .

This is such a complex story. That is why I am writing the book. I am no writer and never had any plans to do this - but I think it is a story people will read.

Frankly, I still find it hard to believe I climbed that mountain! But I am so glad I did smile

Cindy Abbott #8307 10/14/10 07:46 PM
Cindy, I just caught a couple of episodes of "Everest: Beyond the Limit" tonight and thought of you. I had watched both seasons when they first aired, but it's been a couple of years or so. Watching these episodes again just made me shake my head in amazement at the intensity and hardship of that climb to the top of the world. My favorite line of the day: "Can't wait to get back down to 23,000 feet and breathe again."

Just gotta tell you again - massive kudos!

Bulldog34 #8308 10/14/10 08:34 PM
Rod Offline
Yes Cindy I am a Chiropractor and I have a BS in Chemistry. I used to scuba dive and fly airplanes. We were never allowed to do both in the same day due to to atmosheric change. Of course I am familar with Boyles Law.The atmospheric pressure with scuba diving,depth and rate of accent are so important. Then the problems of climbing to altitude causing AMS including HAPE and HACE come to mind. So you are challenging the vascular system with both scuba and climbing.I just wonder if they had anything to do with you eye and cerebral vascular conditions.Scuba diving and climbing create extreme opposites of atmospheric pressure.Just made me stop and think about causation.
I would love to come to you REI lecture. It is too early for me to know if I can make that. I will try to squeeze it in.

Link Copied to Clipboard