Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Road Not There
#8222 10/10/10 05:35 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Apologies to Mr Frost & Mr.Whitman.

The Fresno Bee published an article about the upcoming Amgen Tour of California route.

Here is a quote:

"The race might also get it's first true summit finish atop Mount Baldy in Southern California."

"We'll have our first legitimate mountaintop finish and we think it will be the hardest final 10 miles that we've ever done"

Yup, carrying your bike in cycling shoes for 10 miles will be tougher even than Belgium cobblestones.

PS. I emailed the Bee re this & didn't get a reply.

Last edited by wagga; 10/10/10 06:15 PM.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Re: The Road Not There
wagga #8237 10/11/10 02:14 PM
wagga...

If they start at Baseline and then go up via Manker Flats via the service road, it will be a buttkicker. I believe they will only go as far as the ski lift since the road ends there.

Just gotta watch out for falling rocks...

Have fun.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #8240 10/11/10 02:37 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
In the Bee they said "mountaintop finish". If it's in the Bee, it's gotta be true.

wagga #8241 10/11/10 03:04 PM
Well, they have three options to the summit:

Ski Hut Trail
Devil's Backbone
Chute (Bang)

Ain't gonna happen on any three.

Hope the cyclists will have their Adventure Passes at the ready!

Journey well...
wagga #8242 10/11/10 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
...If it's in the Bee, it's gotta be true.

For a wagga pun I think you meant to say: ...it's gotta BEE true...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #8243 10/11/10 03:38 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Served that up for a grand slam from our very own Bee - I suppose she didn't see it.

wagga #8244 10/11/10 04:27 PM
I'm really confused on this. I don't know how they make the summit without walking from the ski lift, walking from the ski hut or??? Bear Canyon's too steep. Backbone too dangerous (and you need to walk at some point.) Bowl's too steep.

In the times I've hiked Baldy, I've never seen a bike, not even on the fire road. I would think Mt Wilson or Santiago Peak would be better. Santiago's a bitch on a bike!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #8252 10/12/10 07:08 AM
I am sure that the "Bee" writer MAY HAVE intended to say that the race will go up from Baseline, to Baldy Village, Manker Flats and on to the parking area of the ski lift and no further. A "summit" for cyclists but a "false summit" for us we-know-who-we-are-cuz-we-been-at-the-top! Get up off that! grin

I doubt any "road" bike can make it up the maintenance road to Baldy Notch.

Now, should they switch to MB for that segment from Manker Flats to Baldy Notch, then I would like to stay tuned to my television to see THAT happen!

Have fun.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #8253 10/12/10 08:52 AM
I just love the fact that they are coming in to our neck of the woods, so to say. In road bike racing, they will call a stage of a race that finishes up high but does not descend, a "mountain top finish." They wont even have the proposed route picked out until sometime in February. The speculation is that they will come west from Claremont and eventually climb Glendora Mountain Road to Glendora Ridge Road in to Baldy Village and then up to the Baldy Ski area parking lot to finish. If you can't tell, I'm an avid road bike fan and really looking forward to this stage.

Everything I ever needed to know about parenting, I learned from watching Davey and Goliath
+ @ti2d #8255 10/12/10 09:15 AM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d

Nah -- they can make it easily... in the back of a truck.

I agree that no one in this race is going to be riding up to the Notch or taking a side trip to the Baldy summit. But this will be a great stage and it would be fun to figure out a way to be there for it. It'll be a zoo for sure!

AlanK #8259 10/12/10 02:30 PM
Alan, I agree it will be a great stage. I road bike Glendora Mountain Road (GMR) 3x's a week and am already scoping out my prime viewing spot if it comes this way. When the race gets closer, if anyone wants info on the good spots, let me know.

Gary

Everything I ever needed to know about parenting, I learned from watching Davey and Goliath
AlanK #8260 10/12/10 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: AlanK
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d

Nah -- they can make it easily... in the back of a truck.

I agree that no one in this race is going to be riding up to the Notch or taking a side trip to the Baldy summit. But this will be a great stage and it would be fun to figure out a way to be there for it. It'll be a zoo for sure!

Now, I am thinking how "cool" it would be to ride a bike from the holy city of Lone Pine, then hike/run to the summit and and back, then ride back down to Lone Pine for a "funsy" mini-"Badwater"-type variant only on two-wheels.

Who knows...could be the start of a great idea!

Journey well...
duelmen3 #8262 10/12/10 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: duelmen3
I just love the fact that they are coming in to our neck of the woods, so to say. In road bike racing, they will call a stage of a race that finishes up high but does not descend, a "mountain top finish." They wont even have the proposed route picked out until sometime in February. The speculation is that they will come west from Claremont and eventually climb Glendora Mountain Road to Glendora Ridge Road in to Baldy Village and then up to the Baldy Ski area parking lot to finish. If you can't tell, I'm an avid road bike fan and really looking forward to this stage.

When the AMGEN came to our neck of the woods in 02-18-09, it was AWESOME! My uncle, who lives on Road 426, managed to get a camera shot of Lance. It was just a blur but you could make out his jersey. Hey, it looked like his jersey but could not confirm. Earlier that week during Presidents' Day weekend, it snowed at the higher elevations. The CalTrans crews did a remarkable job of keeping SR 49 clear of snow making the ride safe for the riders.

Later that day we say that portion of the ride on Versus.

Journey well...

Link Copied to Clipboard