Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Introduction
#8528 10/22/10 10:54 AM
W
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and found you while doing research on hiking Mount Whitney for the San Diego County Firefighters' Endurance Sports Team.

We are Firefighter Athletes from the San Diego region whom participate in endurance sports such as triathlon, marathon/ultra marathon, cycling, swimming, paddle boarding, climbing, etc. We are a non-profit organization utilizing sport and competition to bring awareness to causes which impact our profession and communities such as LIVESTRONG, The Muscular Dystrophy Association, Firefighter Cancer Support Network, the Wounded Warrior Project and many others.

Next year marks the ten year anniversary of the terrorist events of September 11th 2001 which killed 343 firefighters and 2,665 others. We intend to enable a team of Firefighters to summit Mount Whitney in September of 2011 honoring the memory of those lost on that tragic day.

I am the Project Lead for this event and am working hard to plan, fund, train and equip our Team for success. Through this Forum I hope to access valuable resources and experience to support our unique tribute in the memory of those lost on 9-11. I have many questions but will research the forum before I trouble you with newbie posts. Looking forward to learning!

Best-

Woody

Re: Introduction
Woody #8529 10/22/10 11:28 AM
Welcome, Woody

You come to the right place!

Seems another "endurance" team encountered a "half-summit" but that is another story.

Since 09-11-2011 falls on a Sunday, I am sure all Americans will take time to honor the brave on this special anniversary. Always remember, never forget.

If you click on the "Orientation Notes for Whitney First Timers" and "What Can Go Wrong on Whitney" you will find some very valuable information.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Journey well...
Woody #8530 10/22/10 11:28 AM
Bee Offline
Welcome, Woody! It sounds like you are involved in many interesting and honorable pursuits. I hope that we will be of assistance to you and at the same time, you will keep us informed with your many activities.

Bee

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Woody #8531 10/22/10 01:07 PM
T
T
Hey Woody,
This sounds like a great idea/event!

one thing you will want to familiarize yourself with is the Whitney Permit Lottery process. You can get information on it by clicking on the "wilderness permit options" in the left hand column
<--------right over there

probably not a bad idea to call the wilderness permit office to see if they have a special process for events.

Woody #8534 10/22/10 05:11 PM
Woody, glad to have you here. You'll find a wealth of information and many experienced folks willing to assist however they can.

First up, though, take tdz's advice and get in touch with the Inyo NFS office re Mt. Whitney permits. They are like gold during the summer season and quite limited. I'd be shocked, though, if they were not willing to make some special permit concession for your event for the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. Reach as high as you can in the INFS.

Thanks for all you do!

Bulldog34 #8675 10/26/10 03:46 PM
W
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the welcome all! I haven't been silently rude... I've just been following your advice and doing research. There is a wealth of information to fish off this site and lots of side trails to peak at as well.

The 'First Timer Note's and 'What Can Go Wrong' were great reading over the rainy weekend. I'd love to hear more about the other "endurance" team that encountered a "half-summit"(?)... Please elaborate!

Best- Woody

Woody #8679 10/26/10 04:56 PM
S
S
Hi Woody,

The other endurance team refers to the group from Omaha Nebraska who climbed last Monday (Oct. 19) and got themselves into trouble, and then called for a rescue.  They were subsequently hauled off the summit by a helicopter from Stockton on Wednesday, Oct 21.

Those hikers were connected to a real estate company in Omaha, the Landmark Endurance Team, website here.

And the "half summit" means they got to the top, but had to be hauled off. Their folly was created because they failed to think about a safe turnaround time, and continued to climb higher as the weather worsened.

The main thread is here:  Hikers FOUND!!! -- SAR on Whitney
And George Durkee, a Sequoia N.P. backcountry ranger started a subsequent thread here:
    How not to die on Mt. Whitney (and elsewhere...

Steve C #8698 10/26/10 10:38 PM
W
Woody Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Oh'... Ok, I know the "Omaha" story. Yeah' that was (um') not good at all. Given my initial post and the timely yet safe 'pick of the Omaha Crew of the mountain'... I totally get the reference (and smile inwardly).

That said, let's set the stage with regards to the Project I am working on... Our "Endurance Team" is comprised of seasoned Firefighter Athletes whom participate competitively in their given discipline at the level of experience and fitness they are qualified to participate at. We consist of routine fitness fanatics all the way up to Ironmen (and women), Marathoners & Ultra Champions, Cross/Cycling Centurions, Open Water Masters Swimmers, Triple Crown Surfers/Paddle Boarders, and; experienced Mountaineers. When our Athletes are not training in their given sport, they work out of Firehouses immersed in an even more mentally and physically stressful environment that is definitely not sedentary or business casual (smiling inwardly again).

As Expedition Director for this project I am responsible for the life, health and safety of everyone involved. Although I have no experience on Mt Whitney I completely respect the Eastern Sierra energy and power. I am a retired 21 year military Veteran who spent 4 years on a Mountain Warfare SOF Team and flew high altitude MEDEVAC as a Medic for seven years. And now as a Fire Chief involved with this project I insist our Teams be evaluated for fitness and capability then trained and conditioned to meet their objectives. My folks will be prepared for this Project. If anyone in my organization is suspect (either physically or mentally) they won't participate.

Our Teams will also have benefit of standby support from a Medical Team with wilderness and altitude medicine experience --and- a land mobile radio system both of which are definitely not the norm on an average day on Mt Whitney. This project is much bigger than me or the egos of those involved... This whole thing is all about honoring the memory of the souls lost on 9-11. My objective is to do so while protecting the life, health and safety of those involved. That's just how we role here in the San Diego Firefighters' Endurance Sports Team!

Best- Woody

P.S. I got my response back from USDA-FS regarding Permits so expect more requests for advice on our Trip Plan in the coming days grin

Woody #8699 10/26/10 10:45 PM
S
S
Woody, what are your expected numbers of participants for the Whitney hike?

Link Copied to Clipboard