GO RANGERS!

Angels fan...

Nolan Ryan was my idol...

Gotta go with the American League.

Have fun...

Journey well...
Re: 2010 World Series
+ @ti2d #8722 10/27/10 02:57 PM
The Yankees are not in it smile , and that's really all I want every year since my Braves are no longer the team to beat every season (but man that was a great 15-year run!).

Sorry all you LA types, but I've gotta pull for the Giants. No emotional investment, just a National League guy born and bred. Don't hate me.

Bulldog34 #8723 10/27/10 03:11 PM
Rod Offline
Sorry I am SoCal guy. Hate the Giants. GO RANGERS

Last edited by Rod; 10/27/10 03:13 PM.
Rod #8725 10/27/10 03:49 PM
Besides, the way some see this, it's the New York Giants vs the Washington Senators. Franchise movement still befuddles me. I still can't wrap my head around things like the St. Louis Rams, the Arizona Cardinals or the Baltimore Browns Ravens (which makes the Cleveland Browns not really the Browns?). The Colts should be in Baltimore, the Nationals Expos in Montreal and the Jazz in New Orleans (seriously - Utah "Jazz"? Anyone been to Salt Lake in the past century or so?).

I guess that's why I enjoy college sports so much more; schools do tend to stay in one place and you don't need a scorecard to remember things like the Arizona Cardinals really aren't the newest version of the St. Louis Cardinals, they're the most recent incarnation of the Chicago Cardinals.

So - if the Giants win the series, console youselves by thinking Harlem, not Frisco, and you might feel better. Except they're not really the Giants, they're the Gothams . . .

Sincerely, an Boston Milwaukee Atlanta Braves fan.

Bulldog34 #8729 10/27/10 05:52 PM
T
T
I'm with Rod on this one....I'm more of an Angels guy, but more importantly, I am an anti everything San Francisco guy.

Go Rangers!!

+ @ti2d #8730 10/27/10 05:53 PM
W
W
GO GIANTS!!

Last edited by wazzu; 10/27/10 05:54 PM.
Bulldog34 #8746 10/28/10 04:27 AM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
The Yankees are not in it smile , and that's really all I want every year since my Braves are no longer the team to beat every season (but man that was a great 15-year run!).

Sorry all you LA types, but I've gotta pull for the Giants. No emotional investment, just a National League guy born and bred. Don't hate me.

Baseball won't be the same without Bobby Cox.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #8750 10/28/10 05:58 AM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Baseball won't be the same without Bobby Cox.

We'll miss him, but I'd rather have the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz rotation back (aged 15 years younger, of course).

Sad news for all you Giants Haters last night. This should be an interesting series as all the heavyweights (Yankees, Phillies, Jays) have been eliminated and we have two Cinderella teams going at it.

Bulldog34 #8752 10/28/10 10:20 AM
Sports is NOT the subject that you wanna bring up. It's almost as bad as talking about politics.

With that said, my favorite time for baseball was when I was in my early 20's. I would go to Dodger Stadium with my girlfriend and we would wait in front of the gates for someone to give us tickets. About two out of every three times we went, we would get free tickets from box holders who just didn't want to waste them. It was really nice sitting between home and first, or third and home, sometimes only two or three rows back, to see guys like Garvey, Cey, Lopes, Russell, Baker, Jimmy Winn and my favorite, Reggie Smith.

Of course, the one time we didn't get free tickets, we had to sit in the center field bleachers surrounded by little leaguers. That was probably my favorite game. If you remember pitchers, it was Burt Hooton against the Mets pitcher Tom Seaver. Dave Kingman hit three home runs and came up in the 9th to face Al Downing (Bulldog will remember him.) Al Downing threw every ball outside so Kingman couldn't hit them. The sellout crowd boo'd Downing because they all wanted Kingman to hit a 4th home run. Kingman struck out. Mets won, I think 11 to 2 or 11 to 0.

I don't think I've been to Dodger stadium since those days, with the exception to see the Rolling Stones.

Oh yea, go Lakers.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #8753 10/28/10 10:51 AM
T
T
"my favorite, Reggie Smith."

Joe,
I see Reggie Smith every weekend. He is the Baseball Pro at Encino Little League. My son has a signed baseball, hat, glove and 1978 Topps baseball card.

A couple of the kids on my team get private lessons from him as well.

Let me know if you need a signed baseball or anything....
Tom

quillansculpture #8754 10/28/10 11:08 AM
Hey Joe, 'Tude-Gary started the thread, not Bulldog-Gary!

I grew up watching Hank Aaron hit homer after homer after homer at Atlanta/Fulton County Stadium. Y'know - the legit kind. Not the chemically enhanced sort that a certain Bay Area bomber gets undue credit for (uh-oh, here we go . . .). Hammerin' Hank was my idol when I was a kid, not just for the way he played the game, but for the way he gracefully handled all the hate and negativism as he got closer and closer to Ruth's record.

The first time I saw him play in person he hit two club-level shots and single-handedly beat the Pirates (Willie Stargell and the Murderer's Row). I would have given anything to be at the park the night he stroked # 715 against Al Downing and the Dodgers (yep, Joe - Al Downing is forever on my Christmas card list!) - but I was listening on the radio.

I got to meet Hank for the first time about 20 years ago at a business luncheon. I was (1) shocked at how big his wrists and hands were for his size, and (2) amazed at the strength of his grip at his age. I've had the privilege of shaking his hand several more times over the succeeding years, and I swear he could still put one over the fence at Turner Field today even in his mid-70s.

tdtz #8756 10/28/10 12:11 PM
tdtz. When I went to Pierce College, I actually sculpted my first figurative piece and it was Reggie Smith. Im had it done in wax, about 20 inches tall, but never cast it in bronze. It is long gone. I had him in that usual home run stance with the bat way above his head. He was the deadliest hitter I ever saw with a 3 - 1 count.
When I lived in the Valley, I would go to Buddies Bat-A-Way (on Van Nuys, I think) every day.....yes, every day. My friends dad owned the place and we would bat for hours, yes, again for free. My favorite is when we would go in the cage where the machine would throw the ball up to 90 or so miles per hour. If nobody was around, we would gather all the cut balls, damaged balls, etc and put them in the machine. They would fly everywhere when you were at bat! I used to hit really good as I had every machine timed. One day, some guy saw me and asked me to try out for a team at one of the parks. I just whacked the fastballs........then something happened I hadn't expected. The pitcher threw me an offspeed pitch. I swung and the ball was still coming to the plate. Everybody laughed and that was pretty much the end of any of my thoughts to join any team.
BTW; some of the Dodgers would come to the cage. I especially remember Dusty Baker. I thought the ball was going to go through the netting!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #8758 10/28/10 02:29 PM
C
C
I have been a Yankees fan since 1946 when I read Pride of the Yankees by Frank Graham. I'm sure this is way before most of you started following baseball at all.

I was a pretty good softball player, and dreamed of a big high school baseball career. I hit fastballs just as you reported but my big awakening came when I found I could not hit curve balls. Thus my dreams and baseball career ended abruptly & I became a runner instead.

quillansculpture #8759 10/28/10 03:17 PM
T
T
JQ,
it sounds like we are similarly enthusiastic about baseball. My grandfather was the sports photo editor for AP, so when I was young, I got to go to a lot of games, including world series games.

I do love going to the batting cages with the kids. I always go in for one session and the kids try to guess how many I will hit. I usually come in around 29 for 30.

I love the cages so much that I put one in my backyard.

check out the kid's form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef22bUj7tdY

Last edited by tdtz; 10/28/10 03:17 PM.
CMC2 #8760 10/28/10 03:25 PM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
I for one came "this close" to playing in the minor leagues in the early 80s.

While I was in the Marines, I took a 30-day leave to tryout for a team on the East Coast. I was a LHP and had a cannon around 85-90 mph and I was a switch hitter.

I informed my superiors that I will be signing a professional contract. The Marine Corps higher-up said, "No. Permission denied." I had to fulfill my obligation. I did. I hung up my cleats and glove. Never picked up another baseball again.

Some of the players I met during that tryout made it to The Show and eventually got their WS rings. It did my heart good to know they did it. I choose to keep their names private. We keep in touch. They no longer play baseball.

My version of a "Field of Dreams."

I played a lot of softball. Six nights a week. Pitcher, catcher, 1B, OF. Played Southern California Softball Associaton (SCSA) slo-pitch tournaments on weekends in Orange County in the late 80s and early to mid-90s. I played on one team and we were the only team in SCSA history to win back-to-back tournaments during one weekend. Good memories.

Hernitated disc, sciatica, hamstring tears of the black-and-blue variety forced me to hang it up for good. I wound up dismantling all my trophies (about 60) and throwing them in the dumpster. I kept the marble from some of the trophies. The trophies are gone but the memories remain.

Then, along comes Whitney...my Mecca West...my trophy.

I may "hang up" the packs, but they soon come down again.

Have fun.

Journey well...
CMC2 #8762 10/28/10 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: CMC2
Thus my dreams and baseball career ended abruptly & I became a runner instead.

And a mighty fine runner you developed into Ernie!

For those of you that don't know, CMC2 (CMC on the WPSMB) is Ernie Cunliffe, one of the all-time track greats to come out of Stanford and the PAC 10. He's won titles in the US Indoor Championships, and still holds the 2nd best 800 meter time ever run by a Stanford student - a 1:46.6 in 1960! Folks, coming from a former track guy as well, that was blazing back in my heyday of the late 70s, let alone 1960! Ernie has also coached a number of "big-boy" track teams from the US Air Force Academy, US National Teams and US Olympic teams. Google him and you'll get a couple of pages of results. Very cool dude I consider a long distance friend. Lives (and plays) in the shadow of Pikes Peak, but loves Whitney and the Sierra just like the rest of us. Cool enough to be forgiven that one sin of being a Yankee fan . . .

I diverged from the baseball theme, but I just had to jump on Ernie's last sentence!

Bulldog34 #8763 10/28/10 05:47 PM
Rod Offline
Ernie you are so modest.In all our emails I never knew your running history.'Thanks Gary for "outing" him as a legendary Stanford runner.
I grew up loving the Dodgers.First time I ever saw the LA Dodgers was at the LA Coliseum where they played before they stole Chavez Ravine from the local residents in a shady land deal.I remember big Frank Howard, Sandy Kofax and Don Drysdale.I grew up loving LA, hating NY and SF.I loved when an entire baseball team would play their whole careers with one team and then came free-agency.No longer were the Cey, Russel,Lopes,Garvey infield for ten years possible.
The baseball strike in 1994 ended my love of professional baseball.From that point on I realized that neither BB owners or BB players cared anything about the fan.I have been done and don't give a rats ass about any BB team anymore.I did go a little band wagon with the Angles last World Series win and the whole ralley monkey thing.But other than that I don't care who wins or not.

+ @ti2d #8764 10/28/10 06:24 PM
Gary, awesome! Didn't know that, but I can see it when I think about it. If the marmots at TC are smart, they know to haul ass if they see you reach down for a rock . . .

+ @ti2d #8831 11/01/10 07:33 PM
W
W
GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES !!!!!!!!!!!!

wazzu #8834 11/02/10 07:27 AM
+ @ti2d Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: wazzu
GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, congratulations to the San Francisco Giants. Fifty-six years is a long time.

And to think the voluntary reporting date for pitchers, catchers, and injured players is February 13, 2011. Hey, did I forget to mention some sort of lottery on February 1, 2011?

God, I love baseball and mountains... grin

Have fun...

Journey well...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard