Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Texting for rescue
#9227 11/23/10 07:13 PM
B
OP Offline
B
It is now possible to text for SAR help in the Highlands of Scotland. Hikers and climbers in Scotland are now able to send a text message to rescue services, when voice cell reception is not good quality. (The 999 number mentioned in the link is the British version of our 911.) Have any of you been successful texting while in the Sierras? Would a emergency text system be useful here?

http://news.scotsman.com/inverness/Mountaineers-get-the-message-texting.6635484.jp

Re: Texting for rescue
Bob West #9228 11/23/10 07:30 PM
S
S
It has been my experience that if one has cellular service, a voice call works too.

In the Sierra, places are so remote that there just isn't a cell tower reachable at all.

I wonder what sort of system it is, that requires people to sign up for the service. Would they be able to text their family, but not the 999 number?

Steve C #9229 11/23/10 07:42 PM
Bee Offline
One of the differences -- benefits -- of texting in the backcountry is that while a call requires a "service" status (connection) at the time of attempt, a text can be composed and stored in the "outbox" until service is available & automatically sent out, thus, one would not have to waste precious battery power by re-dialing. However, I am not sure if this is relevent when referring to the system mentioned in the article.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #9231 11/24/10 05:08 AM
I've not had much luck with texting from the Sierra. On two occasions I've texted my wife that I've reached the summit of Whitney, only to find the msgs still in my Outbox several days later, so I no longer bother. I have AT&T, and while I can get a signal in some places, it's not strong enough for voice. People report better luck with Verizon. I presumed that cell phones continued to re-try sending texts, but apparently the number of retries is limited. Also, in some areas (like Trona) the cell service will only work with Verizon.

I would like to see the costs of such a system. There are many unmet needs for repairing our existing infrastructure. We might need to re-invest in those first before adding new.

Steve C #9250 11/26/10 07:29 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Good question. Here is the link to the service:

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

The registration system helps to prevent misuse of the conventional 999 emergency call system. The government maintains a list of valid emergencysms users, who want the ability to contact SAR services directly. Registration also allows them to spot folks who misuse the service...they know who you are!

Bob West #9414 12/06/10 07:57 AM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
Right. There's very few places in most of the Sierra where you can get a strong enough signal for voice, and especially in Sequoia Kings. But the text approach does have a little more success. The guys stuck in the Whitney hut a month+ ago texted and were able to get a message out when voice didn't work.

SPOT now has a combined gizmo that will do one way (outbound) text. And, as I think I mentioned last spring, the GeoPro Messenger is a satellite device (Iridium) that will do two-way texting; emergency beacon; sending tracklog or individual points etc. Finally, a satellite phone was just released that will do cell or sat (depending on what's available) and the satellite is geosynchronous, so if you get a connection, you keep it.

http://www.terrestar.com/genus.php

http://www.geoprosolutions.com/geopro-messenger/

George

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #9416 12/06/10 09:02 AM
TerreStar is in (protective) bankruptcy.

They apparently have enough bail-out funds on the way to continue.

On the engadget site, read the display on the phone very carefully!

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII

Link Copied to Clipboard