Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lost camera
Rod #7921 09/30/10 07:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Rod
Don't give up yet. Lost things in the Sierras have a way of finding their way home. Someone will find it and it will get back to its owner. Trust me it will happen.

which reminds me of something that happened to me in the 90s - back in 1988, I climbed Half Dome with a home made daypack hanging over my shoulder, and two nice Nikon lenses popped out of the poorly designed opening, bouncing down from the middle of the cables, one apparently down to Yosemite Valley, the other down to Nevada Fall. Big bummer.

4 years later, in the early internet days, I met a hiker who I had been talking to on the rec.backcountry newsgroup (about the only place you could chat about the outdoors back then). I had told him the story about my lenses, and when we met in Tuolumne Meadows at the store parking lot, he spotted my Wisconsin license plate to ID me and walked up asking me "Sir, does this belong to you?" He was holding one of my lens caps (easily ID'd by the cap having marks I rememebred), found at the foot of the cables on a rock ledge a few years earlier. Now what are the chances that you meet that guy on the internet at a time only 0.5% of the population even knew what email was? OK, so I didn't get my lenses back - those will be going back into the earth's crust anbd become the silicon they were created from at some point in the distant future, but it proves that sometimes absolutely unlikely things will happen to you.

Like meeting the same people you don't even know the names of at almost the same spot on the Muir Trail two years in a row? And then have that happen twice with two different hikers? It happened to us in '09 and '10 - although that may only be proof that some folks go there a lot ;-)

Rod #9856 01/05/11 04:31 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Rod
Don't give up yet. Lost things in the Sierras have a way of finding their way home. Someone will find it and it will get back to its owner. Trust me it will happen.

To all of you following this thread:

I am very excited to inform you, that Rod was right. On Dec 31, 4 months after the loss, I got a mail stating that someone was trying to get in contact with me to return a camera. FedEx delivered it today. It was not through this forum though. However, you people here have helped me alot and I wanted not only to post a feed back but to thank you all for participating in the search. I have learned a lot from you! The fact that people out there care was a worthwhile experience.

Take care hiking

Happy Chris

Condorito #9857 01/05/11 08:10 AM
S
S
Congratulations, Chris!!!

What a bright spot to see that your camera found its way home ...all the way to Switzerland!

And thanks for posting to let us all know.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Based on the several lost camera reports I've seen, I have done two things to my camera:

1. Printed my name, address and telephone number on a piece of paper and took a picture of it. That picture never gets deleted from t he camera's memory chip, so anyone looking for pictures will find it.

2. Printed the info in tiny font and taped it to the camera battery. I also folded an edge of the paper around the battery that says "Owner info", so when the battery slot is opened, you see that text. Slide the battery out, and anyone can see who to call.

Condorito #9859 01/05/11 08:44 AM
W
W
Congrats on the return of your camera! I hope you are able to download all your pictures and post a few. wink

Condorito #9860 01/05/11 08:44 AM
CaT Offline
Excellent, Chris!!!

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #9861 01/05/11 08:52 AM
Steve,
Can you dig up the story of the chip found at Half Dome during a clean up?

Mike
Mike Condron #9864 01/05/11 10:03 AM
S
S
> Can you dig up the story of the chip found at Half Dome during a clean up?

Here it is:  Of cameras and granite

Steve C #9865 01/05/11 10:19 AM
It's a long read but it's well worth it.

Mike
Steve C #9867 01/05/11 02:02 PM
CaT Offline
Just for kicks, I clicked on the link to the old WPSMB thread that I started. First thing I noticed was that the first photo of the back side of Half Dome with the red line I drew on it to indicate the approximate "fall path" and landing location of the camera/chip is no longer displaying because I have long since canceled the Smugmug account I had at the time. If I can figure out what I did with that picture, perhaps I can upload it to my wife's Flickr account (I let my Flickr Pro account expire recently -- don't use it enough to justify keeping it), and then rework the link reference on the old WPSMB thread so that it displays properly for posterity.

Man, this thread sure is like the energizer bunny -- it keeps on goin'.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #9875 01/05/11 08:03 PM
Rod Offline
Wow have to admit I sounded like Nostradamus. That was pretty good call on my part.Mountain people are just really good about respecting and returning lost and found items.I knew it would get back to "home"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard