Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good alternates to Mt. Whitney
#6907 08/25/10 08:37 PM
T
T2n Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Folks,

Some of you have seen my other post trying to hike Mt. Whitney on Oct 16. But based on feedback I am dumping that idea (ice/snow) and will try my luck for unused day hike permits on a Saturday in mid to late Sep.

If I don't get lucky with the permit on my chosen Saturday, I want to pre-decide on an alternate peak in the vicinity so as not to waste the long drive. I am thinking about 1 of these 3:
- White Mt
- Split Mt.
- Telescope Peak (in Death Valley)

How would you guys rate these in terms of hike quality and view? Feel free to use your own interpretation of "hike quality and view".

Thanks,
T2n

Re: Good alternates to Mt. Whitney
T2n #6910 08/25/10 11:11 PM
S
S
All worthy mountains!

Split Mtn is a off trail after Red Lake, and the road in to the trail head requires a high-clearance vehicle. (not 4wd, but almost). Certainly one you could do, but... not top of the list.

White Mtn is a definite must-see mountain. Not nearly as difficult as Whitney. There is a 4wd road to the summit, but you have to hike it. The road in is 15+ miles of dirt with washboard in places, so it's a slow drive.

You might consider Mt Langley, out of Horseshoe meadows, take either New Army Pass or the older un-maintained Army Pass. Once on the pass, there is no trail, but it is just a walk (sometimes through loose decomposed granite) to the top. Quite a bit longer than White Mtn, but not as far as Mt. Whitney.

T2n #6911 08/26/10 06:53 AM
W
W
What do you mean by hike quality? The journey, destination, difficulty (a trail walk vs. a Class 2-3 combination) or a combination of the three.

White is a great mountain once you are there...on clear day you can see about 200 miles of the Sierra.

Langley is your basic slog to a peak with very good views.

Telescope is a worthy 3-bagger...if you include Bennett and Rogers.

Split is still on my list.

The last Sierra mountain I did was Mt. Pickering, which turned out to be a one of my favorite Sierra trips.

wbtravis #6915 08/26/10 06:10 PM
If you do White, don't underestimate the rather long time it takes to drive to the trailhead. The road after the Shulmann VC can be rough, and often the rock is very sharp.

On Sunday, September 5, there's "Open Gate" day at the trailhead, so you can drive up to the Barcroft Station, and save about a mile of road walk and 1K'+/- of elevation gain. You also don't have to worry about the marmots chewing on your tires if you park at the station, either.

Link Copied to Clipboard