Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Torn Medial Meniscus-ideas for getting back to normal
#8783 10/30/10 02:42 PM
A
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I've posted on the Whitney Portal Store the same question as this. I'm aware a lot of you out there in cyber space visit both sites so what I was looking for are others who are on this site only and have had recovery experiences with this type of injury. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but just learn as much as I can so I'm back in the mountains quicker and healthier.

Arne

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". John Lennon
Re: Torn Medial Meniscus-ideas for getting back to normal
Arne #8808 10/31/10 08:54 PM
Rod Offline
You will have to give more information on where the tear is, how big is the tear? How did you do it? How bad does it hurt? What is your Range of motion? How long have you had the tear?
First of all a torn meniscus will never heal.It might lay down and be benign or it might keep lifting up and causing inflamation and pain.An MRI will give more information about the chances of recovering without surgery.If the tear is not large or a complete tear then there is a chance that the tear can lie down and not cause problems.If it is a large tear and is very symtomatic then surgery may be your only option.

Rod #8812 10/31/10 11:25 PM
S
S
I had a torn meniscus repaired about 15 years ago. I think it was a pretty minor one, though, since I was walking on it soon, and did a Half Dome hike 6 weeks after the surgery.

As Rod says, I think your recovery depends on how bad it was and how much cleanup needed to be done in the surgery.

Steve C #8814 11/01/10 07:32 AM
A
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I had surgery on 10-22-10 and there was clean up of the tear plus removal of arthritis. I have no idea how I tore it. It bothered me for about a year and thinking it "just" arthritis, I kept on going until this school year where I couldn't last a full day on my feet. I teach PE.
Today is 9 days after surgery and it's feeling better. Does anyone know any "home remedy" type PT that they did or are doing?

Arne

Arne #8816 11/01/10 09:21 AM
Rod Offline
OK I see you already had surgery and your question is about how to speed up the rehabilitation.
Get some theraband and start doing bent knee while sitting leg extensions with the theraband tied to your ankle.This will increase ROM while giving some resistance for strength building. You can also do the same leg extension exercise with a small ankle weight but theraband is best.Avoid squats and deep knee bend exercises.Slowly increase walking to pain tolerance and begin to slowly increase hiking only if there is no pain or swelling immediately following it.

Rod #8819 11/01/10 11:24 AM
D
D
I had a torn medial meniscus which responded well to a program of leg extension exercises--Rod has given you some good (& free) professional advice. I didn't have surgery but patience and by following my own Chiropractor's recommendations I have recovered to the extent that I have not had a problem since (2009). It took about 3 months before I could walk normally and without feeling anything in the knee. I do now hike with a Cho-pat knee brace and have put it on occasionally when I feel a strange twinge.

Arne #8820 11/01/10 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Arne
I had surgery on 10-22-10 and there was clean up of the tear plus removal of arthritis. I have no idea how I tore it. It bothered me for about a year and thinking it "just" arthritis, I kept on going until this school year where I couldn't last a full day on my feet. I teach PE.
Today is 9 days after surgery and it's feeling better. Does anyone know any "home remedy" type PT that they did or are doing?

Stronly advise listening to your orthopedic surgeon or physical therapist.

Stay away from squats or deep-knee bends.

Walking is excellent therapy but beware of hazards on the roads or trails you tread upon.

A stationary bicycle may be of some benefit, provided you limit your time on the bike. Recommend starting out a 5 minutes for one week, increase to 10 minutes with the same amount of resistance the following week, increase to 15 minutes with same amount of resistance.

Doing leg extensions in the swimming pool or spa may help. No sudden jerking. Smooth repetitions. The cool water may be of benefit.

After your workouts, apply cryotherapy.

I did not suffer a torn meniscus (medial collateral strain with arthroscopic surgery in 1987, US Naval Hospital Long Beach). These "therapy sessions" worked for me during my recovery period. Haven't had a problem yet with the left knee.

Here's to you and a speedy recovery.

Have fun...

Journey well...
Arne #8890 11/03/10 04:53 AM
J
J
I was scoped in 2002 for a small meniscus tear and also removal of scar tissue behind the patella. The first few months for me were pretty discouraging in terms of rehab and being able to get out and enjoy the outdoors. The main focus, for me, was developing knee stability and strength, both slowly through careful and CONSISTENT exercises. Already being somewhat of a gym-rat and working with my physical therapist, I was able to incorporate important PT exercises into my workouts on a daily basis. I still to this day utilize many of the exercises I learned and practiced to maintain strength and stability in both of my knees.

My suggestion is this:

1. Follow the recovery advice of your surgeon and Physical Therapist to the letter.
2. Be patient! The recovery process will take time -how much depends on your body but expect at least 3-6 months of hard work before you feel close to 100% confidence in your knee (it took me a year). The mountains will be there when you are ready.
3. Be religiously diligent in your physical therapy, don't slack off because it doesn't hurt or it feels fine. Always be thinking of keeping your knees (yes both) strong and stable.

Good luck!

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
John P. #8897 11/03/10 11:17 AM
Rod Offline
Your results may vary.
A lot depends on your age and physical condition at the time of surgery. I had a professional raquetball player have meniscus surgery and play profesionaly in 2 weeks. My son played football for Pitt as a place kicker had a large piece of meniscus removed surgicaly during his senior year.He was kicking a football in 10 days and played in a game where he kicked 3 field goals in cold slushy weather 2 weeks to the day after his surgery. Yes they were both young and in excellent shape. Their experience may not be yours. Same as John P's experience may not be yours.
Your recovery depends on you and your unique circumstances.There is no cookie cutter recipe for recovery.There are only recommendations and guidelines and the rest is up to you and your bodies ability to heal.

Rod #9005 11/06/10 08:16 PM
A
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Gosh do I love this site. I'm taking these recommendations to heart and will incorporate them along with my PT. I'm an athlete who is getting older (60 in April) but my mind keeps telling me, Arne, you are 20+/- HA!. PATIENCE!!!!
Thanks for all your encouragement.

Hopefully I will meet some of you at the Everest talk at the Tustin REI.

Arne

Arne #9026 11/07/10 02:43 PM
J
J
My impression with injuries and healing has more to do with one's wisdom gained through time and experience than with the perceived advantages one has with youth. The older you are the more one tends to be smarter and hence more conservative towards getting back to doing those activities we enjoy. Youth often times carries with it the attitude of indestructibility through ignorance of the consequences of one's own actions. It's a learning process gained over time with pain most often being the stern teacher. It is troubling to hear of some miraculous recovery/healing from a major injury and subsequent surgery just a few weeks or even days afterward when the body just does not heal that quickly regardless of age.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Link Copied to Clipboard