Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winter Training Motivation for Spring-Summer Hiking
#9915 01/08/11 06:50 PM
W
wazzu Offline OP
OP Offline
W
A couple of my commitments for 2011 is to train and participate in the Wild Wild West marathon (my first marathon trail course)and a 3rd attempt at a Whitney summit. In doing research on how to train for a trail race, I stumbled upon a event in a few weeks that I thought I would share, in case anyone else might be interested in participating.

It's the 1st Battalion, 1st Marines Beach Challenge .
Be sure the check out the course details. I'm looking forward to the grenade toss. laugh

The event will be held rain or shine. A good quote on the event brochure "if it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin' ".

I use these small weekend events to help with the mid-week workout motivation.

How about posting your motivation tips/techniques for those of us that don't have crampons, ice axe, or snowshoes? blush

Re: Winter Training Motivation for Spring-Summer Hiking
wazzu #9922 01/08/11 10:10 PM
S
S
That Marine challenge would likely kill me!

My main motivation these days is to just go out and do my 3 workouts per week ...and complete them without getting another knotted calf or hamstring. mad

And that motivation is strong, since I've been working out like that for decades. But with time marching on, it's getting harder and harder to keep doing it. And THAT annoys me.

Furthermore, what motivates me is knowing that if I stop working out, it could be almost impossible (well, it would take a very long time) to get back into my normal condition.

Steve C #9924 01/08/11 10:42 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Motivation is a toughie.

I also plan on doing the Wild Wild West marathon, but will walk most of the course. I may run uphill, because that doesn't put as much pressure on my hip. I did the WWW last in 1999, so this should be interesting.

Well, my goal while it's wet and cold has been to go to the gym, as always. My goal per week on the stairmaster and treadmill (highest elevation level) is 4 hours a week, with a year goal of between 200 and 240 hours. I had a stomach virus the first three days of the year (no, not a hangover) but was still able to get in 4.5 hours. Today was the start of the second week and I got in my 1.25 hours.

Now, if I could just get a healthy diet like I used to have. To much coffee (I know that's blasphemous to some.) And...to many carbs and late eating. But, it's 11:39 and I'm still working on a Saturday. And yes, Steve, what is this "getting old" crap all about. My legs are pretty strong, but at 54, it seems to be a bit harder to do some of the things I used to do without a minor or nagging injury. If I could only ride the bike the way I did when I was in my 20's!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #9933 01/09/11 06:47 AM
Ah, the best intentions . . .

Last year I headed into the winter months with a conditioning plan to make Whitney 2010 a lot easier than 2009. Between family emergencies, hiccups at work, and an excessively wet winter/spring, my plan went mostly down the tubes and I arrived at Whitney at about 50%. I managed to tough it out, but swore (again) that "next year" would be more disciplined.

So far this year, though, the plan is in place and working. In previous years I would consolidate hiking with mountain biking, static upper body and core workouts, and whatever else struck my fancy. This year it's all about hiking. I logged 289 trail miles last year with a pack, but my goal this year is a minimum of 400, with a bold goal of 500.

I'm fortunate that I have an NPS-managed park with two mountains about 15 minutes from the house (Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park). It has a nice network of trails that lace the two mountains, and after years of hiking these trails I've put together a 6-mile training network that gets me about 1700 feet of elevation gain in an hour and forty-five minute workout (15 pound pack). I've managed to stick to my goal of hitting this trail network an average of twice per week, regardless of weather (did it in a fair amount of snow two weeks ago!), and have kept to it for about 4 months now. From a conditioning standpoint, I'm way ahead of where I was a year ago.

The plan is to ensure I continue to hit these trails twice per week at a minimum, increasing distance through the spring until I'm at the point I can approximate a Whitney dayhike (sans altitude) by doing this route four times in a day (24 miles, 6800 feet of gain). Last year, just prior to Whitney, I reached the point where two circuits were the max I could do in one day - and it showed once I got to the Sierra.

At 53, this is about as aggressive as I can get with training. In the past I've felt it was important to have a variety of workouts in place, but after two times on Whitney with not as much leg strength or stamina as I really needed, hiking uphill with weight on my back has taken precedence over everything else. I'll get other training in here and there, but hitting the mountains is Job One to ensure I've got the legs for the next trip to the Sierra in July.

This year on Whitney Joe won't have to pause every couple of hundred yards on the uphills to wait for me to catch up . . .

wazzu #9934 01/09/11 07:05 AM
B
B
Three days a week at the local gym: legs, upper body, and abs. I discovered, the hard way, that having strong legs is not enough; you need good core body strength to manage a heavy pack over long distances. (Thank you Laura!) The older you get, the more core strength is important for hiking endurance(I'm 72 and hope to hike until I can't get out of bed).

A good personal trainer (at most gyms) can help you set up an exercise routine. Keep at it faithfully and you'll be ready to rock and roll this Spring. The hardest part of any training is in getting out the front door!

Bob West #9935 01/09/11 08:01 AM
My goal is to hike twice a week, year-round, and gyms don't do it for me, although I've tried. Have always lived in/near mountains, and could never live anywhere else.

Most hikes are anywhere from 2,500-4,000' elevation gain, and for me, elevation is more important than miles. I get above 10K' at least once a month to remind my body of what it feels like. In the 3 seasons that's not a problem, but in winter is a bit more effort. However, there's always Baldy and San Jacinto within dayhike distance. I don't worry too much about the occasional 6 or 7'K day - just start a little earlier/go a little slower and include a recovery day. As I get older the recovery day becomes more obvious. I don't worry too much about hiking slower on the ups than others - a heart attack many years ago left me with about 75% of function, which I've discovered makes it all the easier to smell the roses and realize that each day is a gift.

Am only 63, and hike with several in their 70's. I don't need to hear the adage "use it or lose it" as I see it happening all around to those in my age group who don't get out regularly. Like Bob West, I want to be doing this for a long time, although with my family history it would be probably be "until I forget how to get out of bed".

wazzu #9946 01/10/11 05:28 AM
Originally Posted By: wazzu
How about posting your motivation tips/techniques for those of us that don't have crampons, ice axe, or snowshoes? blush

Wazzu,
I find my motivation by visualizing the goal. As I spend the hours on the stepper or lifting weights at the gym, I daydream about whatever it is I am training for.
It sounds simple, but it works for me smile

Bulldog34 #9948 01/10/11 08:29 AM
Gary:

Be sure to include some rock climbing practice in your training. I promise to make it worth your effort this summer.

Bob

bobpickering #9950 01/10/11 08:54 AM
Bob, it would appear my only option this winter is ice-climbing - we're in the middle of our 3rd winter storm in Atlanta within the past 4 weeks. Very unusual. I'm looking at 8 inches of snow outside my office window right now, quickly converting to ice with the sleet now settling on it. Guess I'll have to invest in ice screws, axe, etc . . .

Actually, I've been able to get in a small amount of class 3 stuff the past few months. I'll probably head for the climbing gym next month, after I get a cortico-steroid injection in my tendinitis-prone right shoulder. That's the main reason I haven't made the effort yet.

Bulldog34 #9952 01/10/11 11:19 AM
Gary:

There are plenty of snow and ice couloirs in the Sierra.

Bob

bobpickering #9956 01/11/11 08:56 AM
My Deep South ice climbing remark was tongue-in-cheek, but catpappy called me this morning and pointed out this site in North Carolina, about 3 hours north of Atlanta, called Winding Stair Gap. Apparently there is ice-climbing to be had around here - I had no clue.

catpappy: "Hey, we need to get up there this winter!"

Me: "And do what?"

catpappy: "Oh, watch . . . "

Plenty more shots here.

Bulldog34 #9957 01/11/11 10:09 AM
C
C
Gary, I can just see us getting into this. The progression would go something like this:

Go up and watch.

Rent some gear and attempt.

Crap in our pants.

Go back to just watching.

catpappy #9958 01/11/11 10:25 AM
I thought that was Catpappy. But I guess that's a Canadian, eh?

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #9959 01/11/11 11:18 AM
C
C
most likely a yocal with a maple leaf sticker.

catpappy #9961 01/11/11 12:58 PM
got no mountains here - nearest real mountain is 1000 miles east...

so I just got me that P90X thing to get ready for the April snow trip and the following summer hike. Let's see how that works out.

I also need to go skiing to learn again how to stay upright on those boards, and I plan to do that without a lift, so I get some cardio in with the climbing skins. Too bad our biggest elevation difference here is something like 300 feet at best and we don't have much snow.

Usually I don't start working out before May so I am going to be way ahead of the curve this summer smile

Fishmonger #9965 01/11/11 05:07 PM
T
T
Excuse the partial thread high jack: Bulldog....I see from the ice climbing photos you posted above that you found Michael Crowder's Southern Ice web page. Yes, there is ice climbing in the South, though it isn't "in" very often. I then clicked on the "more photo's here" ink at the bottom of your post and was surprised to see pictures of my friend Shannon Stegg. I haven't climbed with Shannon in a couple of years, but he is the real deal with over 1,000 first ascents in the South. He has put up some very hard and bold routes over the years. Shannon has also climbed many hard routes in other places; examples: North Face of the Grand Teton, Liberty Ridge on Rainier, El Cap, the Diamond on Longs Peak, Cerro Torre in Patagonia, Buggaboos, Winter routes in the NH White Mountains, East Face of Whitney, etc. Shannon usually ends leading most of the hard pitches on all of these routes. He is quite the character with unbelievable stories. Shannon is just one of the many climbers who very few people know about, yet they quietly accomplish amazing things pursing their passion. You will probably never see him in a magazine and I am sure he will never climb Everest, but he is out there every weekend climbing really hard stuff and often laying it all on the line for his passion. You and I will have to meet up in Atlanta again for a beer(s) sometime and I will introduce you to him.

As for Winter Training Motivation....I try to pick a Spring marathon to train for and supplement all of the running with lifting. If I have a race that I am actively training for, I will religiously follow a training program and will keep my motivation level fairly high. Without a targeted race on the calendar, I just don't seem to train quite as hard.

Kent

trail runner #9978 01/12/11 05:40 AM
Sounds great Kent (your turn to buy, as I recall). Does Shannon live here in Atlanta? When I did Longs Peak a few years ago, I ran across a guy who had done the Diamond the previous day. He was still a bit twitchy over it. Maybe we can rustle up catpappy as well. He was the one who directed me to the sites. He's got some hilarious stories of his AT through-hike.

wazzu, we now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast!

Bulldog34 #9979 01/12/11 08:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
I'm looking at 8 inches of snow outside my office window right now

Gary! What people don't know is that you're in a fancy heated office sipping a Starbucks and ordering all the peons around you to do what you want. I'm so jealous.

Seriously though, that snow I saw in Atlanta was pretty cool. Hoping Bri is having a super time in it. I'm sure her eyes lit up! No snow here. It's dried up a bit since our flood that lasted 40 days and 40 nights. WooooHooo.....Jerry Brown is back in office and going to save us :-0 grumble grumble

Oh yea, wazzu.....I've been to the gym 7 out of the last 8 days. My son is training for his black belt and I'll be heading on the road with him for short jaunts. I might bring a Starbucks.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
wazzu #9982 01/12/11 12:27 PM
Winter training is always difficult for me. Just so hard to get motivated to get out and walk. I do have some foot hills near by that make for a good work out but actually getting up and going is another story. It kind of amazes me that with pretty much no effort to get in shape I managed to make it through my whole hike last summer. crazy

Well this year I have applied to the Student Conservation Association for a 6 month long position working on the Pacific Crest Trail. If accepted that will be all the motivation I need this winter to get into good shape!

wazzu #9999 01/12/11 08:07 PM
W
wazzu Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Interesting posts so far....as far as the side converstaions, that's what makes this board so interesting. I'm waiting for the TR from Bulldog & Catpappy on their ice climbing adventure. Should make for some good story telling over burgers and beer at the portal.

I guess I should have given a little more background on my experience and why I asked the question. Over the last year I found a lot of very useful information on this board, along with the WPS board. I have also discovered, or maybe a better way to say, acknowledge to myself, that I tend to go into winter 'hibernation' mode soon after Halloween and it usually lasts until late Feb or March.

This winter I'm making a conscious effort to change my habits. I also need an 'event' as a goal or incentive to get me moving mid-week. I'm trying to find events like the Marine Beach challenge to use as a short term goal. (Or maybe more like instant gratification?)

I need these events to keep me moving (marines yelling at you early on a Sat morning has to be pretty motivating, right?), because as others have noted and I can relate, as I age it gets harder and takes longer to get back into some type of reasonable physical condition after an extended time away from workouts. I want to be able to keep up with QS at the wild wild west marathon, so no more mid-week hibernation mode for me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard