Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alternative Hike for June 28-29
#13788 05/07/11 12:12 PM
P
OP Offline
P
The more I read, the more it looks like I'm not going to be able to attempt to summit Mt. Whitney this year, due to snow and ice on my permit dates. Not interested in crampons/ice axe. So I need advice with the most likely 1 or 2 day hike where snow would hopefully not be as big as an issue? I'm doing Half Dome on the 24-25th. So, I can either go to the SE Sierras as I had planned or go on the westside to Kings Canyon or Sequoia. Mt. Dana was a thought, but, it too, will probably be snow covered as well? I have never been to any of these areas before. Flying into and leaving from Bakersfield. Thanks for any advice. Ron cry

Re: Alternative Hike for June 28-29
passion2explore #13798 05/07/11 01:35 PM
G
G
There is always the possibility that they won't have the cables up at HD, either. Last year, they went up on somewhere around the 12th of June, but I don't think they got quite as much snow last year as they did this year. You might want to have a contingency plan for that hike as well, but I'd say your chances there are better than they are for Whitney.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #13808 05/07/11 03:11 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks!

passion2explore #13810 05/07/11 04:17 PM
R
R
I would call ahead to Yosemite also... I believe the trailheads are booked for overnighters. You might try leaving out of Glacier Point instead of Happy Isle. Give them a call @ 209-372-0740. Last year we were able to leave from the Glacier Point trailhead when Happy Isle was booked to Little Yosemite Valley as a walk in. It's a nice trek with fewer people.

I have a permit for the same time as you, I figure I'll wing it. I don't do snow and ice gear either. I'll enjoy it either way even if I have to turn around and head back. I know there will be a cold one at the bottom.

Rodney

Last edited by Rodney51; 05/07/11 04:21 PM.
Rodney51 #13854 05/09/11 08:20 AM
I wouldn't worry a whole bunch. There are several others from this board going up the same weekend as you. That's one of the reasons for the hiking calender. I would contact them, meet for a burger or breakfast at the portal and make your plans on how to approach the trail. It's a whole lot safer to go with several others, and also can be more fun. You can't beat new friends from the board. Doug Thompson says that there is "500' vertical melt a week now". With that in mind, I think you "should" be fine on a trip to Trail Camp, possibly testing the switchbacks a bit. You never know what conditions could be by then. It could be fairly clear and only snow or ice at the cables.

I'm going up a week later than you and my plans are to go to Trail Camp and see how the switchbacks look. I'm also going to check out the Mountaineer's Route up to Lower Boy Scout. I don't need a permit to go to Lower Boy Scout.

So, my advice is have a contingency plan for another hike if you like, but the snow level will be the same everywhere up there. If it's your goal to take the trail up Whitney, then go for it and stop when the trail becomes a bit iffy. Have fun, eat a burger, talk to all the friendly hikers up there, take lots of pics......and just enjoy the time on the mountain.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier

Link Copied to Clipboard