Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 212 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lake Sabrina to Tyee Lakes hike info needed
#17427 08/11/11 07:17 AM
OP Offline
I am considering doing a dayhike of Tyee Lakes at the end of the month. I am looking at beginning near Willow Campground, going to Tyee Lakes near the top of Table Mountain, and then crossing over to connect with the George Lake trail to Lake Sabrina.

Can anyone who has done the route, or knows something of it, provide some scoop?

From my map it looks to be about 10 miles with a couple thousand feet of gain/loss, and I know I will need a shuttle. I am open to going in other direction if that is more favorable. Any input is appreciated. smile

Thanks,
J-G

Re: Lake Sabrina to Tyee Lakes hike info needed
Jean-Guille #17480 08/13/11 09:25 AM
B
B
Start from the regular Tyee Lakes trail head on the South Fork of Bishop Creek road. This is a short route to Tyee Lakes, with ample overnight parking at the trail head, and pretty forest scenery enroute. One easy stream crossing on this trail.

After the upper Tyee Lake, continue uphill, with several steep switchbacks, finally reaching an open, sandy area near the top of the Table Mountain area (Moonscape!). You will have to stay alert to locate the trail down to George Lake, since there are many variations through this sandy area. Excellent panorama views in all directions from the top. The trail from George to Sabrina is a very steep, but good trail. At Sabrina, turn right onto the Sabrina - Blue Lake Trail. The fishing lodge at Lake Sabrina serves a simple, but ample lunch. Say hi to Rick, the owner, and ask to see his Mountain Lion picture.

The reverse of this route is very steep from Sabrina to George, and overnight parking is restricted to an area about a 1/2 mile downhill from the Blue Lake trailhead at Lake Sabrina. Day use parking is very limited near Lake Sabrina, unless you arrive very early in the morning and get lucky.

If you do start from Lake Sabrina, use the Blue Lake trail that goes around the left side of Sabrina. After about a mile, you will encounter the George Lake trail turn-off on your left. look up - it's steep! If you come to a major stream crossing, you've missed the turn to George.

The Tom Harrison map of the Bishop Pass area shows this route very clearly. Many Bishop locals do this as a car-key-exchange day hike.

Have fun!

Bob West #17500 08/14/11 03:02 PM
OP Offline
Bob,

Thank you for your detailed response. I am still mulling over my options. I have done the Bishop Pass trail before, but never looped around to Ruwau, the Chocolate Lakes, and Bull Lake before, so I am considering that route. Another option is Lamarck Col via the North Lake trailhead. I only have one day to hike, so I'll have to pick something.

It's horrible to have to make this kind of decision, huh? laugh

Thanks again,

J-G

Jean-Guille #17511 08/15/11 04:18 AM
B
B
The Chocolate-Ruwau-Long Lake loop is beautiful...except... from Ruwau it is a steep, loose, slightly confusing up-hill slog over the little pass that eventually drops you down to Long Lake. From the pass you'll need to make your own way down, because the trail is very hard to follow (it hasn't been maintained in years.) But fun and beautiful, all the same. Take a map and compass, and navigate toward Long Lake from above Ruwau.

The reverse of that route starts from part way around Long lake, and is sign posted. Again, route finding problems on the approach to the little pass above Ruwau. Loose down-hill going down from the pass to Ruwau.

There is still some snow on the approach to Lamarck Col. Just below Upper Lamarck Lake, watch for the trail heading up and to the left across the stream. The trail wanders up and eventually traverses around the left side of a ridge. From there it's a long,obvious trudge up to the Col. DO NOT walk around the left side of Upper Lamarck Lake and take the easy looking chute above the lake...it ain't easy...it's a large talus trap!

Just about any hike in the Bishop Creek drainage is beautiful...my "back yard." Perhaps you ought to consider Sabrina-Blue Lake-Hungry Packer Lake...just to confuse you a little more. Stunning views of Picture Peak and Echo Col.

Last edited by Bob West; 08/15/11 04:25 AM.
Jean-Guille #17596 08/17/11 06:19 PM
We did the Chocolate-Ruwau-Long Lake loop a few years ago. Study the USGS 7.5 minute map and note how the trail winds around the three Chocolate Lakes. Sometimes the trail disappears and reappears. When we reached the high point between the third Chocolate Lake and Ruwau Lake, we lost the trail and just boulder scrambled down to Ruwau Lake where we picked up the trail again. It's beautiful country.

RichardK #17621 08/18/11 08:13 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info, gents...I had considered doing something out of the Lake Sabrina trailhead as well...it may end up being a game-time decision for me... smile

Link Copied to Clipboard