Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fall Hikes in the Eastern Sierra?
#19123 10/11/11 01:50 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. I've got two nights in the June Lake area this weekend. Any suggestions for hikes in the Eastern Sierra for this time a year? The leaves be a changin'.... We are happy to drive down as far as Lone Pine/Whitney on one of the days (or maybe the Piaute Pass area, or Kearsarge, or Duck Pass?).

I love the higher elevation hikes. But I am guessing that the higher elevations have snow that is too messy, as yet, for snowshoes? That we are in an inbetween period where lower elevations may be the place to be?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Fall Hikes in the Eastern Sierra?
Akichow #19130 10/11/11 09:29 PM
S
S
I haven't hiked around June Lake, but the maps show trails climbing to the west from Silver Lake or near Silver Lake. The colors in the area should be stunning -- I was there several years ago in mid-October.

There is a trail to Fern Lake, to about 9,000', that might take you above the valley high enough to view the groves of yellow aspen. A more ambitious trail takes you up to Agnew and Gem lakes. ...or Spooky Meadow -- fitting for October smile   Check them out (don't forget your camera), and do report back!

Here's a link to the map:   June Lakes map

Akichow #19133 10/11/11 10:45 PM
G
G
I grew up hiking and backpacking around the June Lake Loop. We spent many a summer (and sometimes a fall and winter) tramping through the area. Not many lakes and passes that I haven't seen through there.

It looks like recent snows are sticking in the higher elevations now. That will probably rule out a lot of things past Gem Lake above Silver. The best hikes in that area (in my humble opinion, anyway) are in the Ansel Adams Wilderness between the Rush Creek trailhead at Silver Lake, and Agnew Meadows in Mammoth. My favorite trips usually begin at Agnew Meadows, and end at Silver Lake, with any number of lakes and mountains visited in between, dependent on how much time I have.

Steves recommendation of Fern Lake is solid, but it's a short day. It's not very long distance wise, but it is fairly steep. And gorgeous. It's a pretty little lake. The Yost Lake trail will take you past Fern Lake up to Yost Lake, and that's more of a day trip. Yost isn't as pretty as Fern in my opinion, but still very worth seeing. I doubt these areas are as snow covered as what lies above the Agnew dam at this point.

The Yost Lake trailhead has parking, but when I was up there this summer, the parking area had been closed to motor vehicles all three times. Not sure if it's open at this point or not. There's plenty of places to park nearby though, it shouldn't be a problem.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #19137 10/12/11 08:04 AM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
Great tips, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akichow #19160 10/12/11 04:36 PM
W
W
Wherever the aspens are turning.

June Lake, Little Lakes Valley and Virgina Canyon...I think South Lake would be good, too. If there is a cold snap the aspens turn brown and all you are left with is 1,000 photographs looking for something that no longer exists.

wbtravis #19161 10/12/11 05:33 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
That's the thing ... the nice folks at Rock Creek Lodge told me that, at elevation, there has been a cold snap. So I am thinking to concentrate on lower elevation hikes. We're going to swing through Hope Valley (which should be spectacular) and then head South ....

Link Copied to Clipboard