Next Thread
Print Thread
Overnight vs. Day Use Permits
#20454 12/30/11 05:26 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello!
I am new to this board, and I am planning to enter this year's lottery to hike the Mt. Whitney Trail. Can someone please help me out with my confusion regarding the Day Use Permits and Overnight Permits.
Obviously, if I plan to camp at the Outpost or Trail Campgrounds along the trail, I know that I will need to apply for an Overnight Permit. What I am confused about is whether or not an Overnight Permit is required if I spend one or two nights at the Whitney Portal Campground at the TrailHead. It seems like everyone that desires an early start must spend the night there. Do people just sleep in their cars or do they pitch tents and sleep in them? If you apply for a Day Use Permit are you then required to drive up to the TH in the early morning?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Overnight vs. Day Use Permits
MountainGoat #20455 12/30/11 06:13 PM
T
tif Offline
T
You don't need an overnight permit to camp at the portal. There are 'backpackers' sites that are first come first served near the trail head that many folks use (setting up tents or just sleeping bags) If you want to spend a couple nights up there for acclimatization - you may want to reserve a 'regular' site in the main campground. Book early though, as they fill up pretty quickly in my experience

MountainGoat #20458 12/31/11 05:36 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: MountainGoat
What I am confused about is whether or not an Overnight Permit is required if I spend one or two nights at the Whitney Portal Campground at the TrailHead.

one only needs a permit - day use or overnight - if one enters the whitney zone.

whitney portal and the camping areas in that area are not in the whitney zone.

on the main trail you will encounter the whitney zone boundary sign - can't miss it unless you're sleeping - between lone pine lake and bighorn park. about three ( 3 ) miles up the trail from the portal.

tom harrison maps has a 'mt. whitney zone trail map'. widely available + on the net.

tif #20505 01/03/12 10:06 AM
Originally Posted By: tif
If you want to spend a couple nights up there for acclimatization - you may want to reserve a 'regular' site in the main campground. Book early though, as they fill up pretty quickly in my experience

As Tif wrote, the campground often fills up way before you get an answer from the lottery. I hear Inyo is switching to a modern online permit system, so maybe someday they can coordinate these two reservation timelines. I would plan on spending the evening before your hike at the portal somewhere with our without a camp reservation.

If you have more time to acclimate, I recommend spending a day or more at the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead parking area (10,000 ft). Nice warm-up hike to Cottonwood Pass (11,000 ft) or beyond. They have hike-in spots with bear boxes. I like to acclimated there, but I sleep better at lower elevation at the Portal (8,000+ ft). I have a camper shell truck so its easy for me to move around, but there should be room for a tent somewhere at the Portal.

Just be flexible and creative and it will all work out. Good luck.

SierraNevada #20520 01/04/12 06:14 AM
B
B
See my post regarding the revised reservation system.

Bob West #20525 01/04/12 07:44 AM
Thanks, Bob. For everyone else, here's the link to Bob's post about the new Reservation.gov system:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/20519/Revised_Inyo_Forest_Permit_Sys#Post20519

The new system doesn't seem to change the timing on getting a permit, so this won't help someone trying to coordinate a campsite at the Portal. But it does make the paperwork easier. Personally, I'll never use the lottery again. I've had good luck just calling a few days ahead to pick up a cancellation. Just need to be flexible. The lottery seems like a better strategy for a group where you need a firm plan.

Here's a cut from the latest info from Inyo, which is in a Word document at:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5342664.docx

The Web page for 2012 Mt. Whitney Permits can be previewed. Online applications will be accepted starting February 1, 2012.
Permits for Mt. Whitney are reserved by a lottery due to the high demand for reservations. All the applications will be included in a computerized lottery. Applications are made online for the dates and group size you would like. You can list up to 10 alternate choices. For each choice, indicate if it's a day hike or overnight permit. Dates in July, August and September usually fill completely from the lottery.
•   Applications will be accepted online from February 1 through March 15.
•   After March 15 lottery applications will not be accepted.
•   All lottery applications that are submitted online from February 1 through March 15 will be processed in a computerized random drawing.
•   Results will be sent by email before April 1.
•   Permit reservations cannot be changed, transferred or resold. Only the leader or alternate leader can use the permit. There are no refunds.
•   Starting April 1 the remaining space will be made available for reservations on a first-come, first-served basis either online or through the Recreation.gov call center.
•   Reservations can be made until two days before a trip entry date if space is available.
•   Space is not saved for walk-in permits for Mt. Whitney. There is no wait list for cancellations. Cancellations will go back on the calendar within 24 hours.

Link Copied to Clipboard