Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip planning and weather
#21836 03/08/12 03:41 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have a 4 day trip planned from Cottonwood Lakes to Whitney Portal with some friends. Originally we were going to go in early September. I have a friend who wants to join us but can't go until later. I've only been out there in August and early September. What is weather typically like late September/beginning of October? I'm sure it depends on the year somewhat. I'd like to avoid snow shoes, crampons, axe, etc and I'm trying to figure out how late I can plan the trip and still be somewhat sure that I won't need to bring winter gear along.

Re: Trip planning and weather
Catalyst #21839 03/08/12 10:10 PM
S
S
Welcome to WhitneyZone, Catalyst. cool

Checking the unused permits pages, last fall there was a major snow storm Oct 4. In 2010, it was Oct 5, with a major rescue after the second storm Oct 18. Snow on Oct 12, 2009.

Checking the USNavy civil twilight site, on Oct. 1, it gets dark at 7 PM, dawn at 6:30 AM. So you will have a lot less daylight.

I think I'd try for no later than the end of September, based on snow storm records.

Also note that the Mt Whitney trail is closed Sept 4 - 13 (but open Sept 8 & 9).

Steve C #21842 03/09/12 06:05 AM
W
W
I've gone the last two times in late September and it has become my preferred time to do Mt. Whitney. However, you have to keep and eye on the weather and you will need to bring some extra warmies.

3 years ago, you could not have asked for better weather. All 4 days in shorts and sleeping under the stars, with few folks. 5 years ago, the weather leading up to our trip with frigid but it warmed up for the 2 of the 3 days we were out...the last was a day of single digit temperature on the summit with high winds; however, it was in the mid-60s when we reached the Portal in the early PM.

The pack will be a touch heavier but wilderness will be lightly traveled west of the Sierra Crest.

wbtravis #21844 03/09/12 07:37 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Looks like I should probably keep it to the mid-end of September to play it safe. Thanks for the information!

Catalyst #21855 03/09/12 07:53 PM
S
S
Catalyst, I see your response regarding permits on the other forum:
Quote:
Getting a walk in permit would be ideal, but we have some people driving down from Washington, so we want to make sure we can get a permit, hence the reservation. Maybe we could plan the trip to be flexible and hold off a day or two if the weather is looking bad though. A walk in permit a few days later is better than not going at all earlier due to foul weather.

I have heard, generally, that permits are plentiful out of Horseshoe Meadows. (I think wbtravis can verify this.) And you are talking about late September. The demand for permits drops off dramatically toward the end of September. And looking at the permit quotas page, between Cottonwood Pass and Cottonwood Lakes, there are 100 permits per DAY available, and 40% of those are held back for walk-in requests. Those walk-in requests are available first-come first-serve at 11 AM at the visitor center the day before, and no-shows are available 11 AM same day. You DON'T NEED to worry about permits.

You will also need a Trail Crest Exit permit do do the Whitney loop, but again, that late in the season should not be a problem. (Those exit permits are 40% walk-in, too.)

Catalyst #21870 03/10/12 10:49 AM
W
W
My friends and I climbed the Mountaineers Route at the end of September last year. The weather was great, plenty of water and sunshine. This year there is LITTLE snowfall which I think will make the whole season a great time.. Soon after we climbed the mtn storms came it and it seemed that is the case with most years. Mid Sept I think is your best bet and I would not make it much later.

A friend and I are going to climb the MR again at the end of April and will keep you posted as I know its hard for good info to come by sometimes when planning.

We encountered snow/ice at the "notch" but I doubt this will apply to you if your coming up and intersecting the main trail on the ridge. happy climbing smile

Steve C #21887 03/11/12 06:48 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Catalyst, I see your response regarding permits on the other forum:
Quote:
Getting a walk in permit would be ideal, but we have some people driving down from Washington, so we want to make sure we can get a permit, hence the reservation. Maybe we could plan the trip to be flexible and hold off a day or two if the weather is looking bad though. A walk in permit a few days later is better than not going at all earlier due to foul weather.

I have heard, generally, that permits are plentiful out of Horseshoe Meadows. (I think wbtravis can verify this.) And you are talking about late September. The demand for permits drops off dramatically toward the end of September. And looking at the permit quotas page, between Cottonwood Pass and Cottonwood Lakes, there are 100 permits per DAY available, and 40% of those are held back for walk-in requests. Those walk-in requests are available first-come first-serve at 11 AM at the visitor center the day before, and no-shows are available 11 AM same day. You DON'T NEED to worry about permits.

Good to know, thanks!

Quote:

You will also need a Trail Crest Exit permit do do the Whitney loop, but again, that late in the season should not be a problem. (Those exit permits are 40% walk-in, too.)

Didn't realize that. For some reason I always thought that doing the loop instead of going down the main trail was a way to avoid needing the trail crest exit permit.

Catalyst #21888 03/11/12 07:06 AM
W
W
The permits to get started from Horseshoe Meadow are always plentiful because of the non quota Trail Pass Trailhead and high quota Cottonwood Lakes and Cottonwood Pass Trailheads. However, the limiting factor is Exit permit but if you go into the Visitor Center the day before you enter the wilderness at opening you should not have a problem getting either a trailhead or exit permit, since 40% are held back for walk-in. The problem, as I see it, is if you want to go the same day or get to the ESIVC (Visitor Center) late in the day before.

Catalyst #21893 03/11/12 09:55 AM
S
S
>> You will also need a Trail Crest Exit permit

> Didn't realize that. For some reason I always thought that doing the loop instead of going down the main trail was a way to avoid needing the trail crest exit permit.

That is the reason they created the exit permit. Lots of people were doing loop hikes and increasing the numbers on the Main Trail.

Steve C #21894 03/11/12 11:24 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Going from Cottonwood Lakes to the peak and then back the same way aren't you avoiding the main trail or is the part from trail crest to the peak considered part of the main trail?

Catalyst #21901 03/11/12 08:55 PM
S
S
I may have misunderstood your plans. You need the Trail Crest exit permit if you start at any trail in Inyo National Forest, and then descend via the MMWT (Main Mt Whitney Trail) to Whitney Portal. I thought that is what you had planned with the loop trip.

However, if you start at Horseshoe Meadows, go to the Mt Whitney summit, and then return to the same trail head, (or any trail other than the MMWT), you don't need that exit permit.

But you are going very late in the season, so those exit permits should also be available.

Catalyst #21907 03/12/12 04:11 AM
W
W
The Inyo National Forest unnecessarily complicates the permit process for Mt. Whitney...IMHO.

You are right you have to cross Trail Crest to the east to require an exit permit. That is how most do it because it is a same day out or one more night on the mountain rather than upwards to 4 days doing a reciprocal.

wbtravis #21909 03/12/12 05:39 AM
C
OP Offline
C
O.K. Yeah, the loop was a contingency plan in case we couldn't get exit permits, but it doesn't sound like that will be a problem.

Catalyst #21912 03/12/12 06:31 AM
W
W
Never missed on a Whitney permit I wanted and never participated in the lottery.

You should not have any problems, if you walk in the day before at opening. If you want some of the tricks I've used to secure an exit permit, email me.

Link Copied to Clipboard