Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Trail Permit Limitations
#26200 07/25/12 06:33 PM
A
OP Offline
A
We are hiking Mt. Whitney on Aug.1. Original Plan was to summit via the Mountaineers Route. However, upon further study. My Cali buddy misread the permit. We have an overnight Whitney Trail permit. My question is this: Can we access the wilderness via the Whitney Trail, climb Thor Peak, descend to Iceberg Lake and continue to the summit on the Mountaineers Route? Does the permit encompass that plan. Or, is it strictly Mount Whitney Trail ONLY?
Thank you
Aaron

Re: Whitney Trail Permit Limitations
aaron479 #26210 07/25/12 10:20 PM
V
V
That is an interesting situation. About 5 years ago you did not need a day hike permit to day hike the North Fork and only needed an overnight permit to stay overnight. At that time, main trail permits were strictly for the entry via the main trail. Then the regulations changed to require all day hikers within the Whitney Zone to have a Whitney Zone day hike permit. That essentially put the North Fork and the main trail under the same quota for day hikes. Nonetheless, the regulations were not changed for overnight hikes. A main trail day hike permit will cover a North Fork day hike, but a main trail overnight permit only covers a main trail entry. Technically you could enter via the main trail and exit via North Fork on a main trail overnight permit, but a North Fork entry requires a North Fork permit.

Sorry for all the technical data. The current regulations were implemented at different points in time so there are a lot of gray areas. You may be able to cancel your main trail reservation and pick up a North Fork walk-in permit when you arrive at the Visitor Center. Just ask.

aaron479 #26211 07/25/12 10:49 PM
S
S
> Can we access the wilderness via the Whitney Trail, climb Thor Peak, descend to Iceberg Lake and continue to the summit on the Mountaineers Route?

Technically, yes. You could climb Thor from Mirror Lake, and descend to near Lower Boy Scout Lake. But that would be a mighty grunt to haul backpacks up and over.

The North Fork overnight permits has a 10 permit quota, 6 reservable online at recreation.gov, and 4 available for walk-ins at 11 AM the day before the hike entry date. ...and of the 6 reservable, if there are any no-shows, they become available at 11 AM on the day of entry. If I were you, I'd try for an actual North Fork overnight permit.

Now, you didn't say, but it sounds like you might prefer a day hike permit. In that case, like V.Fred wrote, a Main Trail day hike permit is what you need. Since Aug 1 is a Wednesday, you are quite likely to be able to score those on Tuesday (at 2 PM, they make all the no-shows available.) Last year, there were never fewer than 14 unused day hike permits on any Wednesday in August. (Unused Permits link)

aaron479 #26235 07/26/12 02:16 PM
Another option would be Pinnacle Pass.

QITNL #26239 07/26/12 05:44 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the quick responses! I have another question for all you who are savvy to the topography of the area. I spoke with a ranger today and my plan is ok. Only thing is that our overnight is for the Whitney Trail. So, looking at the map, I figured that we would stay overnight at Outpost, hike Pinnacle Pass to Iceberg Lk, summit via the Mountaineers route and down the main Whitney Tr to our gear at outpost. Does this sound doable? The mileage is actually less than that of the Whitney Trail, and if we use the drainage from Mirror Lake and hike up to Iceberg Lake via Pinnacle it does not look all that bad. But, I am looking at a map without downed tree's and large boulders a part of my sight. Any advice would be appreciated.
Aaron

aaron479 #26240 07/26/12 06:10 PM
That sounds about right. If you are comfortable with third class and pick the right pass, it shouldn't be a problem. Secor gives a good description. If you get sketched, just head around Wotan's and rejoin the main trail. If you have time, tag Muir. Have fun.

QITNL #26241 07/26/12 06:28 PM
If you don't have Secor, then try this.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #26276 07/27/12 02:53 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for those guides...appreciate all the info. We are going to be camping near Mirror Lk, Pinnacle Pass, Iceberg Lk, Mountaineers Route, Whitney Trail, "Mt. Muir" (possible), then to Mirror Lk. Should be a good trip. And, again ... thank you all for the information. This helped out!
Aaron

Link Copied to Clipboard