Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 212 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
fishing at Mirror lake
#28050 09/26/12 01:00 PM
J
jtmann Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey everyone,

Plan on camping at Outpost camp and Trail camp before summiting the next day. anyone know how the fishing is at Mirror and Consultation lakes? Also, we (2 people) will be trying to score some walk up overnight permits on Friday, October 5th. From what I've been reading and after looking at the unused permits for the last few years, I feel like our chances are pretty good. Any thoughts on the fishing and/or permit chances?

Thanks

Re: fishing at Mirror lake
jtmann #28054 09/26/12 03:06 PM
dbd Offline
The Lone Pine Creek drainage has brooks and rainbows. Doug Sr at the portal store told me that the DFG has stocked Lone Pine Lake this summer. These would be rainbows. The fish I see at the log crossing are rainbows. Outpost Camp has held a very few brooks since a flash flood in the early 80's nearly filler in the several foot deep pond that was once at the lower end of Bighorn Park. I have occasionally seen brooks spawning near the point where the trail starts to climb from Outpost. Mirror Lake has good populations of both brook and rainbow trout. The CA-DFG claims rainbows in Consultation Lake.

This is a good time of year to look for brook trout spawning in the creek that feeds Mirror Lake. Look for (usually lighter colored) depressions in the gravel 8 to 12 inches in diameter, occupied by one or two horny trout.

Brown trout are also fall spawners. A good place to see both brook ans brown trout spawn is the creek that enters North Lake, sometime between now and the end of October. There will also be browns in the Owens Valley streams when their temperatures drop low enough.

This was Nov. 7, 2006 down on the valley floor. The larger fish is probably the female, about 24". The smaller fish to the left and back is probably the male.

Dale B. Dalrymple

dbd #28056 09/26/12 03:41 PM
J
jtmann Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks dbd. That's just the kind of info I was looking for. Are you talking about the North Lake up out of Bishop, or is there one in the Whitney drainage?

jtmann #28057 09/26/12 03:54 PM
dbd Offline
Bishop Creek North Lake. There aren't any browns in the Lone Pine Creek drainage, although they are common in many other parts of the Owens drainage. When talking about fish, I suggest that creek for viewing because it is one of the few that are in low gradient partially open meadows where you call see the fish easily.

Dale B. Dalrymple

jtmann #28067 09/26/12 08:21 PM
I have always thought that fishing along the trail is much under-valued activity. I don't know about Consultation, but the lower reaches are just teeming with beautiful (if small) trout. If you are only going to Outpost the first day, check out Lone Pine Lake and especially the maze of meandering creeks in the willows at Bighorn Park. I would not be surprised if you found some deeper holes there holding some bigger fish.

I would go ultralight here: I mean a 2 weight if you can find one with nothing bigger than a 12 hook, but a 4 weight and 8 hooks are always good in the Sierra. Have fun, and let us know about it!!

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #28069 09/26/12 08:44 PM
J
jtmann Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Saltydog,

Thanks for the input. I am just planning on bringing my light weight spinning gear rigged up with a clear bobber, swivel, long leader and fly/nymph. If that doesn't work throw some spinners. Usually catch fish with one of these methods in the high country lakes. Figured it would be a good way to spend some time while acclimating. Hope the weather holds.

Thanks

jtmann #28071 09/26/12 09:04 PM
R
R
We just got back from our trip and Fished both Consultation lake and Lone Pine lake. Used spinners and spoons in gold and brighter colors. The spinners with the feathers at the end seemed to work best. Lone pine lake had a great bite but with fish in the 5-6 inch range. Consultation lake had a slower bite but had much larger fish in the 12 inch range. These fish were fun to catch and put on a great show. Both lakes we fished by ourselves.

Link Copied to Clipboard