Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Training question for preventing AMS
#32196 07/16/13 04:01 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I have the permit to day hike mt.whitney on a sunday and I am going to camp on the whitney portal saturday night. I understand that is not adequate acclimatization. But I cannot come ahead of time for various reasons. Does doing a hike at 10000+ elevation, eg., clouds rest at yosemite, the previous weekend help in acclimatization. Could you please share if there is anything else to prevent AMS.

Re: Training question for preventing AMS
weirdfreak #32197 07/16/13 04:28 PM
C
C
1. Get as much rest as possible in the days preceding the hike.
2. Consider seeing a doctor regarding small doses of Diamox
3. During the hike itself intentionally focus on breathing deeply and stay hydrated.

Those three items are the only things I changed last year from a failed summit attempt in August and a successful summit attempt in September.

weirdfreak #32198 07/16/13 04:54 PM
S
S
What Chicago said. Staying hydrated during the hike is very important. I never drink enough because I don't feel thirsty during a hike; then afterwards, I drink like crazy to make up for it, and only then realize how much I should have been drinking.

Also, you might try hiking Mt Dana from Tioga Pass in Yosemite, rather than Clouds Rest on the weekend before. That gets you significantly higher. ...In fact, once you get to the top, sit around, maybe read a book. Spending more time at altitude is better.

Steve C #32199 07/16/13 06:21 PM
W
W
I was like Steve, I didn't drink as much as I should during the hike. Over the last few years, I have taken my break time to make up for what I missed walking up the trail. I do this with an electrolyte replacement drink to kill two birds with one stone. I check my Platypus figure what I should have drank and made it up with the electrolyte replacement.

This mean I don't make a mad dash to any peak to set land speed records. Hmmm...that right, slow down, if you believe this is an issue. One of AMS causes is rapid ascent. If you can do 2.5 MPH up hill, drop your speed to 2 MPH.

wbtravis #32202 07/16/13 10:05 PM
C
C
I should note that when I said the "three things I changed" hydration was something I did correctly on the first failed summit hike.

Besides randomness I rank the changed factors as

1. Breathing technique
2. Diamox
3. A little more rest (even though both involved a red eye flight from Alaska)

I could be wrong and perhaps Diamox made all the difference in the world. I just don't know. I'll probably never know because any future high altitude hike I'll probably default to using Diamox. And it's likely I'll never have time for proper acclimation.

weirdfreak #32205 07/17/13 10:59 AM
I can only add one thing: Pace yourself, but keep moving. If you can’t go 10-20 minutes without stopping to catch your breath, you are going too fast. You will obviously stop to eat, drink, take photos, and pee (unless you aren’t drinking enough). Just don’t fiddle around more than necessary. Slow and steady beats jackrabbit sprints with lots of breaks every time.

weirdfreak #32214 07/17/13 01:40 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for all the wealth of advice. I will head to mt.Dana the previous weekend, and report back on how my mt. Whitney attempt went in mid August.

weirdfreak #32280 07/20/13 02:04 PM
J
J
You could consider slightly altering your plans to sleep at the Portal the night before your hike (because it's right next to the trailhead) to spending the night before (or two would be even better) the hike at Horseshoe Meadows campgrounds at 10,000 feet which would help you acclimate so much more completely. It's a 50 minute drive down from there to the Whitney Portal (yes, I timed it) plus the sites are cheap $6 first come. If you stay two nights then you could do some light hiking in the area and take in the scenery and fresh air without exerting oneself too much. BTW, nothing I have read of or know from personal experience would indicate a hike to altitude a week before would have any effect or help with the acclimatization process whatsoever.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Link Copied to Clipboard