Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some questions regarding our first overnight trip...
#32607 08/07/13 09:18 AM
OP Offline
I have a few questions:

1. Are bear canister available @ the Lone Pine ranger station? If so, how much are they?

2. How many bear canisters would you recommend for a group of 7 for an overnight trip?

3. We are most likely staying at Outpost Camp. When leaving camp for a summit attempt, what do people usually do with the gear they leave behind? ie - do you leave tents/packs unzipped to prevent marmot/other critter damage?

The group jokes that I am the worry wart/mother hen of the group. I usually carry more gear than others and have the heaviest pack (been working on reducing pack weight). As a result, some of the things I tell the group fall on deaf ears. I am worried that some people may underestimate how bad the weather can be in August, and not carry enough clothes.

4.Under 'normal' circumstances, what temperatures would you expect for a mid-August overnighter, keeping in mind that we plan to watch sunrise from Trail Crest (most likely) or the Summit?

5. I have read about the temperature dropping down into the 20s in August 2002 (IIRC). Does anyone have any links to stories or posts regarding that? I'd like to share them with my group.

6. Some group members are flying out from the east coast.In the event of bad weather, I am trying to come up with some backup hikes. At this point, my only idea is White Mtn Peak. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Some questions regarding our first overnight trip...
63ChevyII.com #32610 08/07/13 09:57 AM
S
S
I'm also curious about the backpacker parking. Is there a bear locker for each car space? We have three people in our group and if the bear lockers are the size of the single stack ones in Yosemite, I'm not worried about space but can they be locked with a padlock as well?

Thanks from another first timer. Heading up this weekend.

Sally702 #32611 08/07/13 10:02 AM
OP Offline
If I remember correctly, the bear lockers are not assigned/associated to parking spots. There are some parking spots that have bear lockers directly in front of them, but many spots do not.

The bear lockers cannot be secured with a padlock.

When you use the bear lockers, be sure to secure the door using the 'key' attached to the door. It seems pretty obvious, but I have seen people walk away without doing it.

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 08/07/13 10:02 AM.
63ChevyII.com #32612 08/07/13 10:06 AM
S
S
Thank you!

Sally702 #32613 08/07/13 11:05 AM
S
S
Sally, you share the bear lockers with all the others parking there. They are big enough to put many boxes or bags of supplies. So don't expect to put any valuables in them.

63ChevyII.com #32614 08/07/13 11:21 AM
S
S
> Are bear canister available @ the Lone Pine ranger station? If so, how much are they?

You can rent canisters from the Visitor Center where you pick up your permits. Also Whitney Portal Store, and maybe the Hostel, too. I think they're $2 per day.

From the Orientation Notes: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/88/Orientation_Notes_for_Whitney_#C7

> How many bear canisters would you recommend for a group of 7 for an overnight trip?

You only need to store the next day's food in the canister, so maybe 2.

> do you leave tents/packs unzipped to prevent marmot/other critter damage?

That is what I would do, with any remaining snacks, etc, in the canisters.

> The group jokes that I am the worry wart/mother of the group.

Mother Hens are needed to take care of all the details. People who just show up sometimes get lucky and make it to the top. They're the ones who have the crazy stories to tell.

> what temperatures would you expect for a mid-August overnighter,

Watch the NOAA weather forecast closely -- see the Summit Weather link on the Mt Whitney Weather page. At sunrise, it is often frosty at the summit. Then, if there is a wind chill... Be prepared!

Steve C #32616 08/07/13 01:00 PM
P
P
A couple more suggestions: all food smelling trash goes into the canister as well as hygiene products (tooth paste, etc).

And, please hike out your wag bags.

paul

63ChevyII.com #32618 08/07/13 01:43 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
I am worried that some people may underestimate how bad the weather can be in August, and not carry enough clothes.

4.Under 'normal' circumstances, what temperatures would you expect for a mid-August overnighter, keeping in mind that we plan to watch sunrise from Trail Crest (most likely) or the Summit?

5. I have read about the temperature dropping down into the 20s in August 2002 (IIRC). Does anyone have any links to stories or posts regarding that? I'd like to share them with my group.

last august 22, (2012), we saw sun, rain, fog, low clouds, graupel, snow, lightning and heard/felt thunder on our day hike up the main mt whitney trail. my compatriots summitted; i did not as (a) i had summitted several times before, (2) i smelled ozone - a byproduct of very close lightning, and (3) the stories of summitters coming down describing how their hair was standing on end while their trekking poles buzzed from the static electricity convinced me to 180 and live to see another day. it was a grand day.

watch the weather and be prepared for anything.

63ChevyII.com #32623 08/07/13 05:59 PM
W
W
1. Canisters...A nominal fee. If they are out head to the Hostel in town. They are usually less expensive.

2. How many Canisters...For an overnight the way I pack, 1 per 3 or 4 people. The way most pack 1 per 2 or 3 people.

3. Zip or unzip...I leave the tent zipped and packs unzipped. I have never had a problem. However, I have seen a bunch of tents blown to hell and back because they were guyed out and the wind came up. It ain't no fun looking for your tent at the end of the day.

4. August Temperatures...It depends, the coldest night I have spent in the Sierra has been in August at under 10,000'. I've seen <10 F on the summit. I've also had >50 F overnight above 10,000'. Check the California Water Resources Board's Cottonwood Lakes Reporting Station for historical temperature data.

5. Cold...A cold front passing through is not your friend...unless you have the right clothing. Yes, it gets that cold regularly. It just depends on the day you hike.

6. Alternates...Screw alternates, you got the permits. If you have the clothing go as far as you deem it safe. You will have a good time.

wbtravis #32843 08/22/13 11:16 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 08/22/13 11:17 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard