0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Plan and more....
#35936 04/21/14 10:34 AM
OP Offline
I'm a new Sierra hiker... 2 questions on my upcoming Whitney Hike for late June...

1. Since I have never been above 11.5K, I have tried to make a very slow ascent and using Diamox (as I have a history of AMS) Any of you 'experts' think this is a good plan to avoid AMS?:
Day 1- Sleep at Hostel in LP
DAY 2-Portal to Outpost
DAY 3-Outpost to Trail Camp
DAY 4-Trail camp to summit back to trail camp
DAY 5-Trail Camp to Portal

2. Can Diamox and Ginko Biloba be taken simultaneously?
Thanks!

"Come and Let Us Climb the Lord's Mountain!" -Isaiah 2:5
Instagram: @jeesparza33

Re: Whitney Plan and more....
SanGorgonioHiker #35939 04/21/14 12:08 PM
S
S
I would sleep at Whitney Portal first night or Horseshoe Meadows, rather than down in Lone Pine. Sleeping at altitude (moderate altitudes like the Sierra) is best for acclimatization. There are walk-in hiker camping spots just below the trailhead that are usually not full.

Not sure how susceptible you are to AMS, or how fast you hike, but you could even do this: Spend two nights at Horseshoe Meadows (which is 10,000' elev), and cut out the day packing from Outpost to Trail Camp. First hiking day, hike to Outpost spend night 3. Summit and back to Outpost. After summiting, spend another night at Outpost or hike out. Getting as high as you can and sleeping, resting, and taking it easy is the best way to get your body to acclimate.

2. You can mix Diamox and Ginko B. Studies have concluded that taking Ginko Biloba has no effect.

Steve C #35944 04/21/14 06:53 PM
R
R

2. You can mix Diamox and Ginko B. Studies have concluded that taking Ginko Biloba has no effect.

[/quote]

Steve, this demonstrates your dedication to offer help and advice to all despite a possible liability risk.

RenoFrank #35946 04/21/14 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank
Steve, this demonstrates your dedication to offer help and advice to all despite a possible liability risk.
Is such risk real?
Have you heard about any lawsuite based on an Internet forum advice?

RenoFrank #35951 04/21/14 09:59 PM
S
S
Ok ok, forget about GB. Anyone else want to give their opinions on the real question -- that is what you think about his plans to summit Whitney? A range of opinions on that would be a lot more helpful.

Steve C #35953 04/21/14 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I would sleep at Whitney Portal first night or Horseshoe Meadows, rather than down in Lone Pine. Sleeping at altitude (moderate altitudes like the Sierra) is best for acclimatization. There are walk-in hiker camping spots just below the trailhead that are usually not full.

Not sure how susceptible you are to AMS, or how fast you hike, but you could even do this: Spend two nights at Horseshoe Meadows (which is 10,000' elev), and cut out the day packing from Outpost to Trail Camp. First hiking day, hike to Outpost spend night 3. Summit and back to Outpost. After summiting, spend another night at Outpost or hike out. Getting as high as you can and sleeping, resting, and taking it easy is the best way to get your body to acclimate.

This better work or I will be getting the best lawyer I can afford. On second thought I will probably have to represent my-self. And if I don't summit for various reason who could I sue? You, Doug? I will think of somebody.

“Any thoughts of guilt, any feelings of regret, had faded. The desert had baked them out.” - Stephen King

Steve C #35955 04/22/14 07:33 AM
Ok ok, forget about GB. Anyone else want to give their opinions on the real question -- that is what you think about his plans to summit Whitney? A range of opinions on that would be a lot more helpful.

Seems like a lot of time to spend for a 22 mile hike. With that amount of time, I would spend 2 days at Horseshoe, digging some of the features of that beautiful area, couple of day hikes up high, then go straight to TC the first day on the MWMT. I also dig the Portal and the Hostel both, so an alternative might include one night each at the Portal and HM, to be able to take in the Portal store and scene a little, and stay at the Hostel after coming off the mountain.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Steve C #35956 04/22/14 08:39 AM

I wouldn't give up entirely on GB. The studies have shown mixed results. It needs to be taken well in advance of the trip and in sufficient dosage. I didn't notice any benefit when I took it right before and during, but I did better when I was taking it for a week or two prior to climbing. There are so many variables involved, it's hard to tell, but I wouldn't eliminate GB as another tool in the box. Likewise, I wouldn't exclude Diamox thinking GB is all you might need. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I've never seen any contraindication of using GB with other meds. Do you own research. Here's what the CDC says about GB:

"When taken before ascent, gingko biloba, 100–120 mg twice a day, was shown to reduce AMS in adults in some trials, but it was not effective in others, probably due to variation in ingredients."

As to the other advice given above, I agree with spending as much time as possible as high on the mountain as comfortable rather than staying at the hostel to acclimate. Personally, I like to hike in the 9,000 - 12,000 ft range during the day and then sleep a little lower in the 8,000 ft range. That regime really helps. With diamox I also have the option of getting a decent night's rest at 10,000 or so, whereas without it I don't sleep well for the first night. As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

SanGorgonioHiker #35959 04/22/14 09:25 AM
W
W
I'd start at Whitney Portal, forget the hostel, and would go directly to Trail Camp. This should be no more than a 3 day trip. If you have already backpacked to San G, you most likely already know how your body is going to react to going to 9,200' from sea level. Whitney Portal is under 8,400'.

However, if I had 5 days like you do, I'd go point to point starting at either Horseshoe Meadow or Onion Valley. I've done the former in 3 days; the latter in 4. They are both prettier trips.

wbtravis #35972 04/22/14 08:53 PM
OP Offline
Thanks guys for your help. Will take all of this in consideration!

"Come and Let Us Climb the Lord's Mountain!" -Isaiah 2:5
Instagram: @jeesparza33

Steve C #35995 04/23/14 04:38 PM
H
H
I would sleep at Whitney Portal first night or Horseshoe Meadows, rather than down in Lone Pine. Sleeping at altitude (moderate altitudes like the Sierra) is best for acclimatization.

I've climbed Rainier and Whitney a couple dozen times and have found that for a 2 day ascent sleeping at altitude the night before is more of a hinderance than a help. I find I am better off getting a good night's sleep down low. My mantra is usually "climb high, sleep low". And in fact your body is not going to be producing any new red blood cells in one night anyway. True acclimatization takes weeks, not hours. In fact up until you pass about a week at altitude you usually feel better at the beginning then progressively worse each night. In the lower 48, my strategy is to get up and down before my body can get too fatigued. I agree that ibuprofen and caffeine are the best tools - diamox is way too much of a hassle - you'll be peeing at least 4 times in the night. Also, avoid alcohol and don't be out of shape.

I am taking a few friends to do the Mtnrs route this weekend - it's going to be a cold one!

Link Copied to Clipboard