Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Night hiking safety & logistics
#38640 07/14/14 02:14 PM
M
OP Offline
M
My friend and I are gearing up to day-hike Whitney in August. We plan to start around midnight or even earlier, which means several hours of hiking in the dark. How safe is the trail from wildlife? I have an irrational fear of bears, mountain lions, etc. Since it is just the two of us ladies (and not a big group like what I'd prefer), how safe are we hiking the trail at night? Is bear mace recommended?

We plan to refill water at Trail Camp, but if we get there before sunrise, is the water source easy to find in the dark? On the map it looks like there is a small pond/lake to the north of Trail Camp (I am assuming this is where everyone refills?). Will we be able to see it right along the trail, or do we have to go off-trail a bit to search for it?

Any junctions where we could get lost in the dark or steep places where it's easy to fall? Are the switchbacks past Trail Camp safe to tackle in the dark?

I would appreciate any advice or insight. Thanks!

Re: Night hiking safety & logistics
meganlaughs #38642 07/14/14 02:46 PM
In terms of wildlife, the trail is quite safe day or night. At one point, perhaps and hour or two from the start, you may hear some rustling which is likely to be a deer.

You'll cross several water sources on your way up to Trail Camp, and the little pond to the right of the Trail is quite obvious.

Bring two headlamps each (they're cheap) and a spare set of batteries. If you reach the switchbacks before daylight, all you'll need is your headlamp.

As for falling - yes, it is possible to fall. It is a mountain, after all, but take your time and watch your step. Thousands of others hike the trail each year safely, and odds are you will too.

Enjoy your hike.

Last edited by KevinR; 07/14/14 02:52 PM.
meganlaughs #38643 07/14/14 03:34 PM
What phase will the moon be in when you hike? A super moon would light your path....

meganlaughs #38644 07/14/14 03:36 PM
Hi Megan,

Assuming you have a "day permit" you should not enter the Whitney Zone prior to 12:01 AM so be aware of that. Why do you want to start so early? It would be very difficult to get to the top prior to sunrise, and much better to enjoy the views as you hike.

In any case your only concern about bears is at the trail head (parking lot), where they like to steal backpacks that are left unattended for only a moment. They like your food, but will not bother you. ALSO, do not leave food (or anything that might smell like food to a bear) in your car. They will break into your car. There are mountain lions in the area, but sightings are very rare. Really, you should not worry about either bears of mountain lions. Marmots are likely your biggest threat, and again, only to chew a hole into your backpack to get your food. Do not leave your backpack unattended.

There are over 220 people/day on this trail. You will not really be alone, so do not let your small group size worry you.

The trail is well marked, and easy to follow, so hiking in the dark is not too much of a concern. There are a couple of creek crossings that will require you full attention, but not really a big deal. The area above Mirror Lake can offer some challenges for staying on trail (more so coming down), and there was recently a death in this area as the result of the hiker getting off trail and falling down a steep chute. This occurred during his decent, late in the day (getting dark), and very tired. If you are concerned it might be best to hike this portion during daylight.

If you started at 3:00 AM you would only be hiking in the dark for a couple of hours, and even if the hike requires 16 hours you would be down by 7:00 PM, well before dark. Also, the lower portions of the hike (nearest the trail head) are the safest, so even if you ran later, and did finish in the dark it would be on the easiest portion of the trail.

The most difficult thing about this hike are:
- the distance (~22 miles)
- the climb (~7,000' elevation gain - including ups and downs)
- the altitude - 14,500'
It really is a test of your fitness level, and how well your have prepared. You should plan on spending a couple of days prior to the hike at a higher elevation in order to become somewhat accustomed to the altitude. Spending two nights above 8,000' (10,000 is better) will improve your likelihood of avoiding altitude sickness. If you are not aware of altitude sickness (also referred to as AMS) you should read up on this. It can really be debilitating.

Use the search function on the top of the page to research. There are many posts on AMS and altitude sickness: symptons; what different people do to minimize the risk; and what to do if you are confronted with this condition.

Otherwise, enjoy the hike. It is most remarkable, and well worth the effort.

Last edited by John Sims; 07/14/14 06:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling
meganlaughs #38645 07/14/14 03:43 PM
D
D
This trail is as safe as one makes it. Personally, I think it is probably safer at night. You won't have the sun beating on you, and you'll avoid the afternoon thunderstorms. The trail is very well marked. Get a good headlamp and climbing poles. I'd venture to say the most dangerous parts for falling is once you get above the switchbacks. You'll probably have daylight at that point, if you leave at midnight from the portal.

To answer your questions as numbered.
1. There are wild animals. Stay with your partner and don't get separated. Although very rare, Mt. Lions are a lot more freaky than bears if you ask me.
2. Trail hiking at night is as safe as you make it. Read #1.
3. I would not bring bear mace. Do your research and learn what to do if you face a bear. If you do decide to bring mace, prepare to be covered in mace. Every time I have used mace/pepper spray, I always end up being a victim of my own spray. Yes, I use is professionally!! Don't bring it.
4. The water source at trail camp is VERY easy to find. There are a ton of water sources as you hike up to trail camp. Trail camp is your last opportunity to fill up though. (Tip, just prior to trail camp, you will cross some water, I would fill up there. The water in the lake at trail camp is a bit dirty.)
5. It is easy to fall. I twisted my ankle on the first turn out of the portal. You're hiking in the mountains. To help with stability, train with hiking poles and have some good shoes (bring Ibuprofen for your pain).
6. I did the switchbacks in the dark. If you leave the Whitney Portal at midnight, you'll probably be getting to the switchbacks around sunrise. It isn't the darkness you have to worry about, unless your headlamp has failed, it is the elevation. You'll be going slow enough, believe me. Don't worry about the darkness!!

Insight: Figure out your average hiking speed on some elevation training hikes. If you are not training at elevation, you are going to be A LOT slower than you thought. Use your training hike times to determine when you should leave. We averaged no more than 1 MPH with our backs/breaks/photos/and messing around on the way up. Take your time, drink a ton of water, bring a lot of food, and have fun. If clouds start to form above the summit, prepare for lightning/rain. Be smart. Take some photos and post them back here when you are done.

meganlaughs #38646 07/14/14 04:08 PM
Unless they're super-fit and well acclimated, most people end up doing a portion of the hike in the dark. IMO you're better off ascending in the dark than descending in the dark.

I LOVE ascending from the Portal in the dark, especially if there's a full moon. The area looks amazing with the moon lighting up the landscape! It's also pretty cool seeing all of the headlamps ahead up you headed up the trail.

The only concern that I would have is making sure you're well rested, which may be difficult with a start at midnight. Lack of sleep may bring on AMS in certain individuals.

Is Trail Camp the only place you plan to refill? There's lots of water on the trail and I would recommend refilling more than once. There's no need to carry enough water to make it from the Portal to Trail Camp.

Akichow #38647 07/14/14 05:02 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: Akichow
What phase will the moon be in when you hike? A super moon would light your path....

Aug 10 full moon

if you are leaving WP at MN, then the full moon will be lighting the path. That can make it so bright you might not need headlamps at all, especially away from tree cover.

Once eyes are adjusted away from car headlights, some people can do without. Not typical, but possible. I have gone up the trail a bit with headlamp, then turned it off and sat still for 15 minutes going nowhere while allowing my eyes to get to that point.

Try to aim for arrival at TrailCamp just before 600. The beautiful cinnamon-rose alpenglow on the east face of the entire Whitney massif lights up about then. Only lasts for 5 minutes, 10 max.

63ChevyII.com #38648 07/14/14 05:04 PM
I agree that seeing the headlamps ahead if you on the trail is cool and a motivation as well, at least it was for me. However, if you leave at midnight, there won't be anyone ahead of you on the trail. I saw a couple of deer at dusk just above thr portal, but I agree the marmots are the worst. They have no fear. Don't leave your pack alone for a moment.

2Old4This #38649 07/14/14 05:39 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: 2Old4This
I agree that seeing the headlamps ahead if you on the trail is cool and a motivation as well, at least it was for me.

One of my most memorable times was a solo trip up from Guitar Lake at 3 am. Looking back, there was a "string of beads" two hours below me.

Harvey Lankford #38653 07/14/14 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
Originally Posted By: 2Old4This
I agree that seeing the headlamps ahead if you on the trail is cool and a motivation as well, at least it was for me.

One of my most memorable times was a solo trip up from Guitar Lake at 3 am. Looking back, there was a "string of beads" two hours below me.

I had the same experience last year. Without seeing a face or hearing a voice for hours, I had the most powerful feeling of being among trail friends and family of any time on the whole JMT hike.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
meganlaughs #38659 07/14/14 09:22 PM
J
J
I (female, age 34, three kids aged four and under) just day-hiked Whitney alone on 7/13, starting at 11:30PM on 7/12 (my second summit in two weeks). My points:

• Bears - I also have an irrational fear of bears and I hadn't even thought about mountain lions until you pointed it out (out of mind, out of sight...or something like that). I carry bear bells but I actually found myself silencing them so that I could listen to any movement around me. As for bear spray, I had planned to carry it but realized that there was very little chance that I would use it. At that altitude, carrying food in my hands to eat is a pain so I knew I would never have the spray in my hands. Instead, my plan was to attack using my day pack or rocks, if necessary (this was the advice of the ranger). As a side note, this was hike 30-something for me and the only time I have ever come close to a bear was two years ago when I came out of the outhouse at the portal and he was standing right next to me. Actually, I never even saw him; instead, someone driving by slowed down and after a moment said, "Hey, did you see that huge bear standing next to you as you came out of the outhouse?" Um, no. Of course, that was no way to start my hike because as I got on the trail, I noticed a ton of fresh bear droppings. I figured he was going to follow me or that his friends were nearby. It was an awful hike up to Mirror Lake (where I have convinced myself that they will no longer be an issue--if you know otherwise, please don't tell me; just let me think this). smile
  • Moonlight - The evening I hiked was the evening after the supermoon so the moon was still very bright; other posters have said that hiking by moonlight is sufficient and I respectfully disagree. Not only are there parts of the mountain that are dark as a result of the shadow cast by the mountain itself but this does nothing to allay your fears of wildlife. I actually tried hiking in the dark when my headlamp went out but quickly pulled out my backup. No way was I going to risk tripping at that hour particularly since I was alone. In addition, the moon lit up my surroundings but not enough so that everything was clearly visible. For example, if I saw light granite all around me but a dark round object up against it, I instantly thought it was a bear! Turns out it was just a bush. I actually would have preferred the darkness at this point (again out of mind, out of sight--yes, I realize it's the other way around but you get my defense mechanism by now).
  • Cold - Starting at 11:30PM got me to the summit by 5AM, in time for the sunrise at 5:36am sunrise. It was incredible. My first sunrise in all of my years hiking Whitney. I would note that the summit was extremely cold. I normally wear Lulu pants, a tank top, and a thin Lulu jacket and that is sufficient for hikes that I would do beginning at 2AM; however, being at the summit with no sun at all is very cold so plan accordingly. I became hypothermic and were it not for a kind gentleman at the top who offered his down jacket, I don't want to think of what could have happened.
  • Water - As for water, I don't drink a lot myself but I have heard that there are plenty of places to refill. I used to rely on the mountain until I got a nasty case of giardia a few years ago (yes, I used a filter). It was a great way to lose ten pounds but I'm already underweight and almost died so that wasn't as fun.
  • Getting lost - As for getting lost in the dark, I have to admit that there were a few more places this time where I had to step back and take a look at where I was relative to where I wanted to be. There are a few places where it does get tricky but you might try taking a few paces, look at the floor to see if there are shoe/pole impressions and if not, then go back to where you were. Fortunately, you're going slow enough to evaluate and re-evaluate your steps on the ascent (I think night-ascending is much safer than night-descending)
  • People - Even starting at 11:30AM, I ran into quite a few people on the trail and I'm always relieved to see headlights ahead of or behind me. On my way up to the summit, I probably ran into 15 people. I ran into only one person from the switchbacks to the summit and he scared the S-H-I-T out of me because he DIDN'T have a headlamp and I thought he was a bear...or a murderer. So, please, people...if you don't want to wear a headlamp, that's fine but please make some other noise so that I don't soil myself. Thanks in advance.
  • Safety on the Switchbacks - For me, it was very lonely at parts on the trail (one of the reasons I do it--three kids, remember?) but being in the dark, on the switchbacks with nobody else around was particularly lonesome. You'll have your friend with you, which is great but otherwise, it is safe to tackle in the dark (watch for ice around some of the natural springs on the switchbacks that could cause you to slip and fall). The only time it is unsafe is if one of you gets symptoms of AMS or if there are clouds/lighting/thunderstorms (been in both of those situations too).

Anyway, hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me.

Last edited by jaxgev; 07/14/14 09:27 PM.
meganlaughs #38662 07/14/14 10:44 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Megan,

Your questions suggest a general unfamiliarity with the mountain that is productive of a certain amount of uncertainty.

I'd strongly recommend that you get one of the inexpensive guides to the mountain. I think they're all good, and you will find the information valuable, and reassuring.

I've never heard of anyone seeing a mountain lion on the mountain. I'm sure they are there, but they are timid animals and rarely seen. I've seen one in 50 years of backpacking, and that was in a car.

Bears are very shy animals, except when around abundant human food. That is only down at the portal. If you see a bear anywhere else, you will be exceedingly lucky, and probably will not get a picture (because the bear will be running from you). They do not attack hikers to get your food. Forget the Bear Spray, it is only a hazard to YOU.

I think hiking poles are very useful---if you have practiced with them a considerable amount. There are some who never are able to get the hang of the coordination, and for them, they are tripping hazards.

Speaking of practice, I'm a strong advocate of practicing hiking in the dark. You develop a skill and comfort level if you do it a lot. I really got into it hiking with the Sierra Club hikes in Griffith Park in LA. And on those hikes, which has hundreds of hikers on T, W, Th from 7-9, they DO NOT ALLOW you to use lights---it destroys night vision, which you come to appreciate. I will grant that it is an acquired taste.

meganlaughs #38668 07/15/14 08:32 AM
W
W
First off, you living in California; therefore, you live near mountains and a REI.

On to the questions asked...

1. Night Hiking, Lions, Tigers and Bears...If you have a good headlight it is very safe but slower. You are very likely to see your headlight reflecting off some animal's eyes...which is very cool. I hike at night all the time and have never been eaten by any of the aforementioned animals. I will on on Mt. B-P on the 26th after a night hike.

2. Refills...I never refill at Trail Camp...I prefer Trailside Meadow. It is halfway and the water is less likely of having a WAG bag floating in it. The pond is hard to miss.

3. Getting Lost...If you get a real map and study it seriously before going, you should not having any problems. If you do not you may end up at Guitar Lake in search of Mt. Whitney.

4. Steep Places...Yeah, there are a couple that you need to pay attention to. Again, do your homework. There is plenty of information in the public domain about all the dangerous places along the trail. Just search out John Likely.

Advice...Go to a trail you are very familiar with and start up above a half hour before sunset and go for 3 or 4 hours, then head back. If your headlight sucks...go to the aforementioned REI and buy a Black Diamond Spot or better.

meganlaughs #38696 07/15/14 01:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the helpful advice, shared experiences, and reassurances! I have hiked in the dark before, but never for more than an hour or two, and it was always with a larger group. I know it seems silly that my biggest fear is meeting a bear or lion at night when I probably ought to worry more about the 22 miles and 6500 gain at altitude. I guess it's because I feel like I have control of the physical aspect through training and acclimatization, but cannot prepare myself adequately for encountering a mountain lion that wants to eat me!

I have a great headlamp, will definitely be bringing my poles, and I will forget about the bear spray. Some of you recommended starting later, but I think we really need to start early because I don't know what our pace will be like at altitude, and I don't want to be anywhere near the summit in the event of an afternoon thunderstorm.

In terms of AMS, I have hiked a few 13 and 14ers without noticeable symptoms besides just fatigue, but that was many years ago when I used to live at 7000ft elevation. This time, I'm coming from sea level so I know it will be much different! There aren't really any training peaks near us (Sac and LA) with more than 10-11k elevation, but we'll try to hit Mt Dana and White Mt before our Whitney hike.

Thanks again for all of the useful information, this is really a wonderful community. I will continue to browse this forum and read Whitney trip reports, and hopefully we'll have a successful hike up to the summit (and down)!

meganlaughs #38697 07/15/14 01:49 PM
Please keep us posted on how you make out.

And stick by your guns in terms of an early start. You know your own capabilities better than anyone, so don't let anyone shake your confidence. And, while I've heard plenty of people say "I should've gotten an earlier start", it's pretty rare for anyone to say "I started too early"... Of course, some of the faithful contrarians will jump in here.

Trust your instincts, and try not to let your large animal phobias get in the way. There is wildlife on the mountain, but it's a treat when they show themselves. The marmots live at/above treeline, and I've never seen them active at night. Plus, they're vegetarians, and their bold antics are fun to watch.

Enjoy your adventure.

KevinR #38699 07/15/14 02:23 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: KevinR
it's pretty rare for anyone to say "I started too early".

Time for a British expert:

That virtue is its own reward we were beginning to learn, for in the matter of early starts we found there was no other.
Eric Shipton, Nanda Devi page 109

meganlaughs #39829 08/20/14 09:38 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I just wanted to drop in again and thank everyone for all of the helpful information! We had a successful trip on 8/17 to the summit of Mt Whitney, and I know I couldn't have done it without all of your advice and the wonderful information on this forum. Aside from a small problem trying to get water at Trail Camp, everything went smoothly - weather was perfect, and we didn't come across any bears or mountain lions laugh

meganlaughs #39832 08/20/14 11:21 AM
S
S
Congratulations, Megan!

I am curious about the water issue at Trail Camp. Care to share??

Steve C #39837 08/20/14 04:44 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I haven't seen any posts about people having trouble refilling water at Trail Camp, so I wonder if I was doing something wrong?!?!?! From what I had researched about water sources, Trail Camp had 2 possibilities for water - either the pond or the stream feeding the pond. With two options available I really didn't think I would have any trouble.

I got there close to 3AM so it was completely dark. The pond looked incredibly polluted, but most importantly, it was too shallow at the edge for me to be able to catch any decent amount of water into my platypus bladder and soft-sided bottle. This wouldn't be a problem if I had a filter that pumps water, but mine is a sawyer mini that I put in-line with my bladder, so I have to catch the water first. I asked another group leaving their camp where they got their water, and they said to avoid the pond water and find the stream.

Prior to getting there, I had wrongly assumed that there would be an easy walk-up trail to the stream feeding the pond. This was not the case. Since it was dark, and I didn't know the layout of the area at all, it was very difficult to navigate a way to the stream.

1) We attempted to get to the stream by following the edge of the pond (could hear it but couldn't see it, and it seemed very far away), got dead-ended by water, and turned back.
2) Walked along the pond trying to find a deeper place to dip for water, but couldn't, and I didn't want to wade in because it was extremely cold
3) Discussed descending from Trail Camp to the last stream we passed, but I couldn't remember how far back it was and didn't want to add a lot more mileage to our hike.
4) Contemplated heading for the stream on the switchbacks, but weren't sure if it would be frozen and didn't want to take the risk.
4) Attempted again to find the stream by myself - this time I was successful but it did involve a lot of boulder-hopping in the dark. I am a novice hiker, and pretty much terrified of the dark, so it wasn't easy for me.

We ended up dawdling at Trail Camp for over an hour! All of the prior water sources had been extremely easy - right next to the trail, just dip and go. Knowing what I know now, if I ever did this hike again, I would definitely just refill at Trailside Meadows or the stream we crossed a short distance down from Trail Camp.

meganlaughs #39852 08/21/14 08:36 AM
W
W
The pond looked polluted. That has been my reaction to it for years. I have only pulled water from it once in all my years going up there...that in mid-May.

I either get water at Trailside Meadow or on the switchback. The former on the way up, the latter on the way down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard