Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tuolumne Meadows area affected by Meadow Fire smoke?
#40253 09/15/14 09:44 AM
OP Offline
Anyone been to Yosemite up Tioga Pass Rd or Tuolumne Meadows in the past few days, and can comment on the conditions? I'm planning to hike the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne (White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows) beginning on Friday, and wondering whether I'll be affected by smoke from the Meadow Fire near Little Yosemite Valley.

Barely related question: is it possible to pick up previously-reserved camping permits somewhere in Tuolumne Meadows, or do I have to go to the office in Yosemite Valley?

Re: Tuolumne Meadows area affected by Meadow Fire smoke?
Steve Chamberlin #40254 09/15/14 10:31 AM
S
S
I was up at TM Friday night and Saturday. No smoke at all! I checked the Yosemite web cams Friday, and it looked like there was some smoke in Yos Valley. Prevailing winds tend to come from the NW, so smoke is likely blowing mostly out toward Mammoth.

I took my daughter up Friday night (late) to TM, and just laid out sleeping bags by an unused camp site. They put up the Full campground sign when all sites are reserved, and have no method of giving away the unused no-show sites. We picked an empty site in the horse camp area (Elizabeth Lake trailhead), but were packed up and out of it by 8 AM. There were other unused sites across the road from the Elizabeth Lk trailhead parking.

By camping permits, do you mean overnight trail permits? You should call the park info and ask about such things, but I believe the Wilderness Permit office about a mile east of TM will have no-show permits.

Steve C #40255 09/15/14 10:35 AM
OP Offline
Awesome! Thanks for the report. Sounds like a nice visit!

Originally Posted By: Steve C
By camping permits, do you mean overnight trail permits? You should call the park info and ask about such things, but I believe the Wilderness Permit office about a mile east of TM will have no-show permits.

Yes, overnight trail permits. I already have one reserved, I just need to pick up the actual permit. The confirmation email says "You can pick up your reserved permit at the Yosemite Valley Wilderness Center or any other issue station", but I'm unclear what other "issue stations" exist in the park.

Steve Chamberlin #40256 09/15/14 10:45 AM
D
D
Yes, you can pick up a Yosemite wilderness permit for which you have reservation at any Yosemite permit issuing station. There are permit issuing stations at TM, YV, Big Oak Flat (the hwy 120 west side entrance), Wawona, and Hetch Hetcy. See http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm for the listing of THs and stations. I almost always pick mine up at Big Oak Flat. I recall them being open ~8:00-4:30 or thereabouts, but you may want to call and check the hours. Be sure to call 1-2 days ahead if you'll be arriving after 10 a.m. on the 1st day of your reservation.

There is some Meadow Fire smoke info at http://californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com/2014/09/meadow-fire-september-14-2014-meadow.html .

Steve Chamberlin #40261 09/15/14 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Chamberlin
Anyone been to Yosemite up Tioga Pass Rd or Tuolumne Meadows in the past few days, and can comment on the conditions? I'm planning to hike the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne (White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows) beginning on Friday, and wondering whether I'll be affected by smoke from the Meadow Fire near Little Yosemite Valley.

Drove 120 today (Tioga Pass gate to West 120 gate). No smoke, clear views.

Link Copied to Clipboard