Next Thread
Print Thread
First Aid Kit for Whitney and Beyond
#40981 11/14/14 12:00 AM
J
jgreene Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am trying to put together a first aid kit. I was wondering what people normally bring in their first aid kits. Anything specific for Mt. Whitney?

Re: First Aid Kit for Whitney and Beyond
jgreene #40983 11/14/14 03:45 AM
Bee Offline
There is a pre-existing thread on this topic that will be of help:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads...d_Kit#Post40624

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
jgreene #40985 11/14/14 09:02 AM
W
W
You are most likely going distances that are longer than what you are use, to and elevations you have never seen with people who are unprepared.

Your first aid kit has to be comprehensive and set up for those around you...your 200 nearest and dearest new friends.

My focus is to be able to stop bleeding...I have absorbents galore.

jgreene #40986 11/14/14 09:13 AM
In addition to the usual first aid kit, I carry two Sam Splints and three rolls of adhesive tape. A sprained ankle or knee can be immobilized. Hiking poles would double as crutches.

wbtravis #40987 11/14/14 10:00 AM
By far the most common treatment I have seen on Whitney and JMT is for blisters. Probably as many treatments for blisters as everything else combined. I go through a lot of Second Skin and tape, invariably treating others. Next is minor abrasions and lacerations. Cloth bandaids or small pads and really good stretchy cloth tape - never plastic for either. Then sprains, requiring triangle bandage if the boot has not been removed (preferred) or ace wrap/tape if light shoes are involved or boot has already been removed.

After that, things get serious. Major bleeding, broken bones: lots of pads are fairly light and small splints are fairly convenient. For large bones maybe splints can be improvised. Then there is really serious trauma, lighting strike, heart or stroke, very rare but it happens. Almost impossible to justify the weight of what it takes to be prepared for that, except for shock and hypothermia. Space blanket, source of heat, the rest can be improvised from what you already have: sleeping bag, hot water in the bottle etc. Should be prepared to do an evaluation: penlight, watch, there may be some small electronic BP gizmo that I am not aware of, but complete basic life support stuff is pretty much out of the question. CPR in the backcountry is almost always futile, in any event, unless you have a sat phone and can get an ALS unit on the scene in an hour

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #40993 11/15/14 11:39 AM
J
jgreene Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK thank you for your answers. So I'm guessing based on your answers sprains and breaks are a problem on the Whitney trail.

Bee- I read the other link. Thank you.

RichardK- It sounds like I have a normal first aid kit similar to yours. It would be easy to add another "Sammy" and tape.

wbtravis & saltydog- Thank you for your answers. Are you guys doctors or somehow in the medical or rescue field?

jgreene #40999 11/16/14 12:16 PM
JG: I would not say that "sprains and breaks are a problem." That implies a much higher incidence than actually occurs. Its just one of the low-risk/high-consequence possibilities on any trail that it is both prudent and relatively easy to prepare for. And even easier to avoid.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!

Link Copied to Clipboard