Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Google Maps -- Terrain view
#3988 05/04/10 11:43 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Checking Google Maps today, I was alarmed that the terrain view button had been replaced by an "Earth" button. Looking at any mountainous area, all you would get is the flat green with a few streams and lakes. ...NO TOPOGRAPHY!

But it IS there, just more difficult to find. They moved the terrain view down under the "more..." link. Hover the mouse over the "More..." button, then click the Terrain checkbox, and we have our shaded relief maps back. Thank goodness.

Re: Google Maps -- Terrain view
Steve C #3990 05/04/10 01:28 PM
I had the same freak-out last week---which is a good reason to have NG TOPO! for a backup

AxeMan #3998 05/04/10 07:53 PM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
It might be worth taking a look at ArcGIS Explorer(free at esri.com). It's got a better topo series (better trail and location names) and the same satellite imagery. It's got higher processor and video card demands, so difficult to impossible on older computers. It does both 2D and 3D; does nice "fly" stuff and handles all the major geographic projections (dd, dms, UTM, grid etc). A fair number of tools and AddIns are being developed. That said, I don't think it's quite as intuitive/easy to use as Google Earth or Maps, though I now prefer it.

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #4008 05/05/10 08:08 AM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
Just saw this. More fun stuff that Google does:

http://lifehacker.com/5525758/top-10-things-you-didnt-know-google-maps-could-do

Another interesting note: over on the Whitney forum, there's a thread on Mt. Randy Morgenson. I can't remember where the idea originated, but someone proposed to Board of Geographic Names that the peak just west of Mt. Russell be named after Randy, a long-time backcountry ranger who died on patrol about 10 years ago. The NPS didn't support the idea (there's a policy to no longer name things within parks or wilderness) and BGN turned it down. So the local ranger goes up there with a can and so names it anyway. People can use the name or not.

Well, someone was checking Google Maps the other day and, shazzam!, there's Mt. Randy Morgenson, correctly labeled. How'd that happen? It's a local usage and not known to a lot of people. It's not in the GNIS (Geographic Names Information System) -- where does Google get its place names from? Or is one of the Google cartographers a mountaineer?

A mystery... .

g.

Last edited by George; 05/05/10 08:15 AM.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #4017 05/05/10 09:36 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The same question goes for the "Frog Pond" name for the lake on the bench to the south above Lower Boy Scout Lake. Until Google Maps came up with that name, it had been known as Girl Scout Lake or Barney Lake.

And a question for George or anyone else: I went to the http://www.esri.com site that George mentioned above, but I can't seem to find the topo map area.
....Ok, found it: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/index.html
I'll have to download it and give it a try.

Last edited by Steve C; 05/05/10 09:50 AM.
Steve C #4020 05/05/10 10:38 AM
H
H
I was disappointed the terrain mode is no longer available. I downloaded the prog George recommended.I only played with it for a few minutes, but can see it is very powerful. The "World Physical" basemap looks like the USGS quads. You can open GPS data with it and change the basemaps. It does require a lot of memory! Very Cool. Thanks George.

Link Copied to Clipboard