Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 212 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fighting drugs & border violence at Az Cactus N'tl Mnmnt
#21670 02/28/12 08:21 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
Fighting drugs and border violence at Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument: What about the ranger's M14 rifle, Yogi?

ORGAN PIPE CACTUS NATIONAL MONUMENT, Ariz. -- On a hot desert morning last week, a group of 20 tourists gathered in the visitor center in Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument to attend a mandatory safety briefing before taking a guarded van tour to Quitobaquito springs. The springs is part of the 69 percent of the remote border park west of Tucson that has been closed to the public since Kris Eggle, a 28-year-old law enforcement park ranger, was shot and killed while pursuing drug runners armed with AK-47s in 2002.

more here

Re: Fighting drugs & border violence at Az Cactus N'tl Mnmnt
Bee #21671 02/28/12 08:24 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
Ha! I have lived in places where this was the norm, but the only difference was that the tourists were all armed, too! (9mm tucked in the belt-line was the weapon of choice.....ever wonder why some shirt styles don't tuck in?)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #21672 02/29/12 08:27 AM
shocked shocked shocked

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Bee #21693 03/01/12 06:41 AM
T
T
A couple of years ago I was working with the Border Patrol in Douglas Arizona to put in a broadband wireless network and I got to experience first hand some of the issues that they are experiencing down there.

In fact, the first summit register that I ever signed was College Peak, AZ. They helicoptered the gear up there, but the peak itself was so narrow that we had to hike up. The summit register was a jar that was attached to a stick with some wire.

Because of the drug trafficking in the area, we were always accompanied by a border patrol agent.

On the hike back down we were hit by an incredibly strong stench of death. When we hiked down further we ran into these two characters.

The border patrol agent changed our route down to avoid going to the source of the smell of death. The reasoning was that if we "knew" it was a human body, we would be stuck up there while he dealt with official procedures. He obviously had to report it and it was human corpse who was suspected to be a drug runner who fell victim to foul play.

Actually, when I was on top of this tower, I was attacked with rocks. There's actually a pretty funny story behind that, but it does show how brazen the drug and human traffickers on the border can be.

The article mentions that environmentalists are part of the issue in combating the drug trafficking on the border. That was my experience as well. The rig that we installed on the summit of College Peak, which is BLM land, required congressional influence to get it approved. The environmentalists fought it tooth and nail.

Link Copied to Clipboard