Next Thread
Print Thread
Trekking in the Alps
#30673 03/31/13 07:16 PM
R
rpm Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm trying to gather some basic information for a trekking trip in the Alps (Italy and/or Switzerland). I've visited several webpages and some guides books to get an idea of the classic routes and areas. From what I've gathered, there is not much "backpacking" in the area. There has not been very much mention of campgrounds on the webpages or books, people spend the night in hotels, huts, or inns in small tiny villages or towns. Is this true? It appears they have a very good public transportation system, travelling to the small towns and villages. You can hike to the next trail or take a train or gondola. What is the best way to make reservations in the hotels, several months ahead of time or on the spot?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Trekking in the Alps
rpm #30777 04/04/13 12:51 PM
B
B
You're right; there isn't much backpacking done in the Alps, but a lot of day hikes of varying difficulty. One guide service I can recommend is:

http://www.cwadventure.com/trips/europe/...926426754275336

This is their Mont Blanc circuit trip. With CW Adventures, you do long, sometimes challenging day hikes, and stay in nice hotels. All meals provided, except one lunch and dinner, and local guides.

My wife and I will be doing our tenth trip with them in May, to Ireland. It's an excellent outfit.

If you want to do some mountaineering, I can recommend the International School of Mountaineering, in Leysin, Switzerland. I did the basic mountain course with them. English speaking guides and management.

http://www.alpin-ism.com/sitemap.cfm

Link Copied to Clipboard