Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Langley to Mt Corcoran & Le Conte?
#32201 07/16/13 08:49 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hi, I am trying to get some information about a tentative trip idea I have.

I have a permit leaving the portal up the north fork creek and camping at upper boy scout lake. So I plan to camp there my first night, then up the mountaineers route the second day and camp down at Crabtree. Third day I plan to hike south to New Army Pass and likely camp at Long Lake (or on the other side of the pass before it). Then for the fourth day I plan to hike to Mt Langley, and here is where my question comes:

From Langley I can simply retrace my steps back to the portal OR I'd like to traverse to Mt Corcoran and then Le Conte and then head down to Meysan Lake (camp there for the night, then head down the trail to the portal)

So is it easy to do the traverse? (Class 3? Class 4?)

I am going to be solo w/ a backpack, so I'd prefer class 3. Also, is it doable to go from Langely to Meysan lake in a day (i figured its only 3.5 miles from Army pass to Langely, then 1.5 miles to Meysan lake).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If my plan seems like a bad idea, would a good alternative be to go from Langly down to Army pass, down the pass then head up north to Sky Blue Lake, up over Crabtree pass, then down to Crabtree Lakes or Meadows?

Thanks!

Re: Langley to Mt Corcoran & Le Conte?
grant862 #32209 07/17/13 11:46 AM
S
S
Grant:

Wow, that is a very ambitious plan!

Here are some variations:
Instead of dropping off Whitney to Crabtree, consider heading south over Discovery Pinnacle from Trail Crest, across Crabtree Pass. That will take you into some beautiful country. There are several un-named lakes, and then you come to Sky Blue Lake.

There is a report in this forum somewhere covering that route -- known for the very sandy slog up to Discovery Pinnacle from the lake nw of Crabtree Pass. But you would be descending, which ought to be fun.

If you set up a base camp at Sky Blue Lake, you could then climb Langley, maybe via The Major General, rather than heading all the way to Army Pass. You could then return to Whitney via Discovery Pinnacle if you were up for the sand slog.

I am not sure, but looking at maps and the satellite view, the traverse you ask about looks too rugged without technical gear. Here's the gmap4 interactive map link -- zoom in/out, switch to satellite and 't4 topo high', click/drag to change the view, etc:   Gmap4-Discovery-Mallory

But I do think you could head northeast from Sky Blue Lake and go over Arc Pass to the Main Mt Whitney Trail, or cross the pass just s of Mallory, and descend to Meysan Lake and return to the Portal that way.

Good luck on your trip. It sounds like a great adventure. And be SURE to report back here how it all works out.

(If you need that Discovery Pinnacle hike info, ask, and someone here can look it up.)

Steve C #32210 07/17/13 11:50 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Awesome!

thanks for the wealth of information. I will look into everything you suggested and will report back (mid Aug).

I simply just want to try to get off the beaten path and those lakes sound like a good plan.

Thanks again

grant862 #32212 07/17/13 12:05 PM
S
S

Link Copied to Clipboard