Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Look Out for Beetles on Your Adventures !
#41355 01/11/15 06:55 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello Guys and Gals , in your travels in the backcountry and at home...Please be on the lookout for some medium and large Beetle's . I am specifically interested in these Beetles in the next Pictures...Number One and Two are Scarabs - Pleocoma or common name referred to as "Rain Beetles " .They black or Brown in color and are the size of nickles to large Walnuts These come out and fly in the Fall / winter rains such as the west slope 1,000 to 4,000 feet or Fly med to late winter snows melting around 5 to 8,000 feet on the east side from Walker pass, Mt.Whitney side, on up to Tom's Place and maybe Lee Vining .They usually fly at sun down , then nite time and to first lite . Picture's Number 3 and 4 are a Long Horn Beetle or large antenae Prionus and a larger Ergates .These are a late summer and Fall Flier as well during evening hours. All come to Porch lites also . If you see some put the critter in a container ( pill bottle, coffee can , ect.) and put some paper towel in with it and put in cold, cool, or frozen place and give me a pm or Call (530) 544-6552 Message for Gene . And I will either pay for postage or come pick it up ! Thanks , Safe trails, and May you all have a Great New Year Hiking in the High Sierra's ! Here are the pictures...

Re: Look Out for Beetles on Your Adventures !
Sierra Angler #41360 01/12/15 12:15 AM
S
S
Interesting request. I am curious what leads you to request people send you the beetles. Some sort of study, or what?

Steve C #41365 01/12/15 08:47 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Yes Steve , I am an amateur entomologist , we are trying to get a current and up to date survey of certain species distributions . I figured that everyone here could provide Valuable and Unique " Boots on the Ground " means for intel , siteings, and possibly specimens . The Pleocoma or " Rain Beetles" have very limited and widely spread out groups, and we ( the scientific community U C Riverside, L.A. Natural History Museum, etc,) are looking for Help from the Public on getting a more concise picture of their populations and species number ( 33 or so now). The Large long horns have only a couple species and there should or could be more as well. Almost All of our data base originates from the Public and we then verify . gst

Sierra Angler #41366 01/12/15 09:37 AM
B
B
I have seen a few of these critters, while sitting around in high-country campsites, but never thought to bring any home. In future I'll be on the look-out for them and, if possible, bring back samples for you. Do you prefer them dead or alive?

Here is a question you might be able to answer. Every summer, at our home in Bishop, CA, near Bishop Creek, we experience a nightly appearance of mayflies on our kitchen window, attracted by the light. Now we have very cold nights (below 32F), but still see occasional mayflies that home-in on our kitchen lights. Is it possible for mayfly populations to continue to propagate in the winter?

Bob West #41368 01/12/15 12:02 PM
dbd Offline
Originally Posted By: Bob West
... Now we have very cold nights (below 32F), but still see occasional mayflies that home-in on our kitchen lights. Is it possible for mayfly populations to continue to propagate in the winter?

The most prolific winter insect hatches are midges. They emerge from Hot Creek and the Owens River both above and below Crowley on most sunny winter days. Winter mayflies include the "blue winged olive" mayflies. Look at the fishing reports on winter fishing sites such as sierradrifter.com for the mentions of "BWOs".

Dale B. Dalrymple

dbd #41384 01/14/15 08:12 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Biological Winter Hatch s and emergence's are directly related to a millennium system of survival strategy . The winter cold and increment weather helps to protect the populations. Also there are fewer active predators then and they ( the populations or colony's ) are harder to see and catch to eat ( especially at storms, nite, or low lite ). That time of year also means that there are fewer Other Species to get the Dance Ball Crowded and Confused . Pairing up is more simple and direct. Its Natures Way , another Wonder of Our High Sierra Nevada Mountains ! Any condition alive or dead is fine Bob , as well as Information of sightings or flights . Bob and DBD thanks very much and keep your eyes Open for more Insect High Lights and Flights . Happy New Year and God Bless . Be Safe Out There Today , even if you are just driving . Sorry I was late responding but I am always busy... just got back from a Great Time fishing , losing , catching, and Releasing everything at lake Almanor ! All very nice healthy Browns and Rainbows . gst

Last edited by Sierra Angler; 01/14/15 04:17 PM.
Sierra Angler #41389 01/14/15 05:40 PM
B
B
Thanks for the info. The local (our backyard) predators, Sierra Nevada Tree Frogs, have all retreated into our greenhouse, where they seem to go into semi-hibernation in our herb pots and dormant veggie beds.

Bob West #41426 01/17/15 05:25 PM
I swear I saw Ringo on Muir Pass last summer.

SierraNevada #41595 01/26/15 08:12 AM
S
OP Offline
S
The Beetles that I am very interested in Right Now are flying at dark thirty during sun up ,some between , and sun down . I us a home made lite trap set ups that I make . Here is the Rain Beetle I am Hunting and Getting right now on the Western Sierras . Band zone 4,000 to 6,000 Foot . Walker pass up to Hwy 4 Pleocoma hoppingi .... And here is Rain / Snow Beetle on the eastern Sierras..little lake ,Mt. Whitney, up to Lee Vining . All along 6,000 to 9,000 feet Band in sparse isolated Limited colonys . That I am going to be working next week for a couple months or so. Depending on the Next weather/warmth Cycle . gst Pleocoma rubiginosa

Last edited by Sierra Angler; 01/26/15 08:17 AM.
Sierra Angler #41598 01/26/15 09:48 AM
S
S
Looks really similar to the "June bugs" that fly in the Central Valley in June. They show up by the hundreds, but only for a week or two.

Steve C #41628 01/29/15 02:02 PM
Bring the critters back in one of these:

Link Copied to Clipboard