Next Thread
Print Thread
Any extra Whitney Permits 8/6-8/9?
#43776 08/03/15 06:56 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone,
A few friends and I have been trying to hike Mt. Whitney over the course of this summer, and have had no luck with the lottery or finding a common time to try and get walk-in permits. This upcoming weekend is going to be our only weekend that has worked out-and our last one before we all part ways for school and work. We are keeping an eye out on permit availability on the recreation website, but are hoping to get lucky and score some walk-in permits. If anyone on this message board might have an extra permit or two (overnight,daytrip, any of those days...seriously, anything.....), we would be eternally grateful if you could let us know.
Thanks guys, and have fun on your trips to the Sierra.
Cheers!

Last edited by nlafonta5; 08/03/15 10:31 PM.
Re: Any extra Whitney Permits 8/6-8/9?
nlafonta5 #43780 08/03/15 10:59 PM
S
S
Welcome, nlafonta5.

Look at last year's Unused Permits page. Then, scroll down the page near the bottom, for a new set of numbers. That post has extra columns. Look at the second weekend in August, and see just how many No-Shows (the "NS" column) there were, especially day hikers. All you have to do is be at the permit office (the Visitor Center in Lone Pine) at 2 PM (day before the hike) when all those no-shows become available.

Please call ahead, and ask though: A year or two back, they were estimating no-shows and making them available at 11 AM (instead of 2 PM) the day before the hike day. The VC phone number is: 760-876-6222

Good luck, and I hope the smoke clears before you hike.

Re: Any extra Whitney Permits 8/6-8/9?
nlafonta5 #43786 08/04/15 10:12 AM
B
B
I can't say it will work for you, but I went up there a month ago without any permit, camped in my car overnight and then went down the next morning. They had day permits for that day but I was looking for overnight permits for the next day. Day permits for that day are opened up at 8am, overnight permits for the next day are at 11am ( the lottery is just to see who gets to be in front of the line when you go inside to see if they have any permits available - and only one of you needs to be in line) I didn't have any luck this way but I had put the receation.gov page on my phone and was always checking it, so within an hour of leaving the visitors center I noticed that some had become available and I could pick them up at the visitors center ( there were 4 - and the weather might have scarred them off at the time). I scored !! Its not a guaranteed way, but try to keep all your options open.

Link Copied to Clipboard