0 members (), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Colorado Trek recomendations
#52132 09/11/17 08:08 PM
OP Online
So, I've been thinking of what to do next year.

I've got two leftover hikes from this year to do: 1 week to do a grand loop from Tuolumne Meadows, down around Red Peak Pass and back (if the snow pack cooperates next year) and 1 week for my Mt Williamson/Tyndall/Randall trek.

I've been thinking of heading to Colorado for some different 14ers to tackle, so I was hoping for some suggestions from those who have gone there.

Probably, a 7 day trek is doable depending on the terrain and course, but if there's resupply/rest spot in the middle, I could stretch it out longer for a epic trek.

So any good courses to look at?

Something with a good challenge, scenic panoramic vistas, and class 3-4 scrambles in places should be doable for me.

Any good resources or websites anyone can recommend as well?

Re: Colorado Trek recomendations
WanderingJim #52134 09/11/17 09:00 PM
Look at the COllegiate Peaks Loop. 160 miles for the whole thing, but there are some trails across the middle that make shorter loops. Princeton, Yale, Oxford, Belford, Huron, a boatload of fourteeners. Also Princeton Hot Springs, Leadville. Colorado Mountain Club for info. Also Tenth Mountain Huts.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #52145 09/12/17 09:35 PM
Jim, are you looking for day hikes/climbs or one long weeklong backpacking trip?

Some of my favorite overnight climbs adding on 14ers and 13ers are Chicago Basin in the San Juans (4-14ers and a few 13ers) and the area near Wilson Peak/Mt Wilson and El Diente also, those are all Class 3/4 climbs though with loose rock.

For a backpacking trip the area around the Maroon Bells is beautiful though some of the peaks there (Maroon Bells, Pyramid, Capitol) are not to be taken lightly as there have been multiple fatalities on them this summer alone. The hike and climb of Snowmass Peak is a beautiful area (22 miles/6000ft gain) which you could do in 1-3 days.

For more Class 1/2 peaks try stringing together some 14ers in the Sawatch Range in the southwest central part of the state. You can pick up the Colorado Trail here also. There are over a dozen 14ers around there.

Also, closer to civilization RMNP has some nice areas also.

You could also go into the Sangre de Cristo Range and hit South Colony lakes th and climb the Crestones (Class 3/4) /Humboldt, and climb over the pass into the area under Kit Carson and Challenger peaks - more rugged terrain though around there for sure.

Lake Como makes a nice campsite and there are 3 14ers there, Blanca and Ellingwood are nice climbs, Little Bear a bit more tricky, especially without snow to hold in the loose rock.

nyker #52171 09/14/17 09:17 PM
OP Online
Although I could do some day hikes as side trips, I'd hope for some multi day treks, especially if they allow me to his several 14ers.

Since I'll have to drive to Colorado form CA, I could do several treks over the course of 2 weeks or so.

Still really early in this planning, so just looking for some good info to narrow down what I look at.

Any good resources for Colorado treks online somewhere?
(basically, something great like Whitney Zone.) smile

WanderingJim #52177 09/15/17 07:58 PM
In that case, check out the Chicago Basin area in the San Juan Mountains. For a longer trip, start your hike at Purgatory trailhead, hike in day 1, days 2-4 do some 14ers (4) and 13ers and day 5 hike out. A train is also available but you need to time your hike with the train schedule and it shortens you trip by a day at least.

You can then drive to South Colony lakes TH or Willow Lake TH in the Sangre de Cristo Range and hike up into either basin where there are 5 14ers you can climb in 3-4 days, plus your approach and exit days would be a good 6 day trip and either hike out the other side or hike back to the side you started.

Or, get a map of the Sawatch Range where you canq string together up to a dozen 14ers depending on where you start/finish and how long you want to be out there.

Link Copied to Clipboard