Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OK, I give up
#54943 04/14/19 05:08 PM
J
OP Offline
J
This is my first time trying for a summit permit, but I guess I just wasn't meant to summit Whitney this year. Consider this:
  • I submit for 12 different dates in September and didn't get any of them. I'm a solo hiker so you'd think they could fit me in. No luck.
  • I try the second-chance lotto, but there are no available dates until the end of October. I'm booked then.
  • I was in Lone Pine last weekend and learned that there won't be any walk-up permits for 2019.
  • I was going to drive up to Whitney Portal to show my wife the peak, but the road is closed above Horseshoe Meadows Road.
  • My rental car was parked in Lone Pine, in front of the hostel, when a truck came along in the right lane, dragging a piece of angle iron from the side of his trailer. The angle iron bounced up and sliced the front tire, ripping the wheel cover off, but didn't leave a mark on the fender. That angle iron could have sliced the side of the car open like a church key. Several other cars up the street weren't so lucky.
  • I was going to drive up Whitney Portal Rd, south on Horseshoe Meadows Road, and east on Lubkin Canyon Road to see the west side of the Alabama Hills. Instead, I had to mount the space-saver spare and drive to Tehachapi to get a new tire installed. 130 miles at 55 mph!

God is telling me not to go to Whitney. I got the message.

Re: OK, I give up
Joe Gaffney #54945 04/14/19 08:57 PM
S
S
Hey Joe G, sorry about the run of bad luck! One time I was in Lone Pine, and started down the street, and got a seat belt ticket! (I always wear it, only I put it on soon after starting down the road.)

Keep trying, you WILL get a Whitney Permit. There is another quick grab of permits at 7 AM on May 1. You have to be fast, though, as they all come available right at 7 AM. It will be all the lottery-won slots that were not paid for.

Also, there is a long thread here about the no-walk-ins. They will be online, instead. We have yet to see how well that works, as they are supposed to put the no-shows online as well.

You picked the wrong month to try to drive up the road. They are blasting rockfall off the road right now, but it will likely be open by May 1.

And forget the late Oct trip. It's cold, likely will be snowy on the trail, and the days are short. If you keep watch online, you can get an earlier permit -- especially in the one to two weeks before you want to go.

Link Copied to Clipboard