Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Military jet flys up the Kern River
#56277 09/12/19 10:28 AM
P
Paul Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Just back from 7 days of hiking from Horseshoe Meadows down to the Kern River.... a loop.

Besides all the rain, of which lasted 4 hours or more each time (twice). I had an interesting encounter. I was at the Kern Hot Springs when I heard a rumble approaching.... louder and louder until, there it was, a military jet flying about a thousand feet above the river floor. Keep in mind that the jet was still considerable below the top of the canyon.

The jet reappeared a second time, and this time I I had a better view.

If you have ever been in the Kern River trench, it was incredible to think what this pilot was doing.

what is interesting is that around the hot springs, there is a slight turn that the pilot makes while travelling up the Kern.

paul

Re: Military jet flys up the Kern River
Paul #56283 09/14/19 12:03 PM
M
M
The following video shows flying up the Kern River from the pilot's eye view, though it doesn't show the section of canyon you were in- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU4PiAYSOaE

The last portion of the video shows flying down Rainbow Canyon where a Navy pilot crashed last month. I've watched jets scream down that canyon while I was hiking down in its depths. I imagine the difference in experience between the pilot and me is similar to that between a falcon and a dung beetle. I'd love to see it as the falcon for once.

Link Copied to Clipboard