Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lone Everest Climber To Push For Summit
#44323 09/21/15 09:02 PM
S
OP Offline
S
According to Outside Magazine this lone climber who is making his fifth attempt on Everest and is the only climber on the mountain will push for summit even though he had been on prior expeditions, including a stay in a snow-cave that resulted in frost-bite and the loss of 9 digits.

He explains his rationale, “I am climbing the mountain to stand by Nepal during this difficult time and to spread the message that it is safe for tourism,"

I literally can't even right now....

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
Re: Lone Everest Climber To Push For Summit
Snacking Bear #44324 09/21/15 09:32 PM
A
A
I don't buy the climbing/standing up for Nepal schtick.

I don't know anything about the man, but if he's an accomplished climber, than good for him! If he has the endurance, skills, and heart to do it solo, than he should go for it.

Not everyone has to have a guide and sherpas going up with them. The mountain has had a bad rap from inexperienced, albeit healthy, climbers going up there without the requisite knowledge of the most basic skills. I know someone who actually went up there before. People here talk about the dangers of glissading down Trail Crest, well, this guy and several in his party have never even touched an ice axe in their lives. LOL.

IMO, he should just go for himself instead of making some claim about standing up for Nepal. I see no issues with the solo climb. He's been there before and know the dangers.

Anonymous1 #44327 09/21/15 10:01 PM
S
OP Offline
S
He has every right to go for it.

The combination of the Nepal schtick, and losing 9 digits after a bivy in a snow-cave smacks of disingenuous personality best case scenario, and complete incompetence WCS.

I suppose it just FEELS fishy to me.

Snacking Bear #44329 09/22/15 12:46 AM
Is he riding his bike 8000 miles from home? Göran_Kropp rode from Sweden, climbed Everest, helped with medicines & summited without extra oxygen support.

"For his 1996 ascent, Kropp left Stockholm on October 16, 1995, on a specially-designed bicycle with 108 kg (240 lb) of gear and food. He traveled 8,000 miles on the bicycle and arrived at Everest Base Camp in April 1996. Following a meeting of all of the Everest expeditions on the mountain at the time, it was agreed that Kropp would attempt to summit first. On May 3, Kropp climbed through thigh-deep snow and reached a point 300 feet from the summit. However, he decided to turn around because it was too late in the day and if he continued, he would be descending in the dark. While Kropp recovered from the ordeal at base camp, the 1996 Everest Disaster unfolded. He helped bring medicine up the mountain. Three weeks later, on May 23, he again tackled the mountain, this time successfully summitting without extra oxygen support. He then cycled part of the way back home.[2] He returned to Everest in 1999 with his girlfriend Renata Chlumska to undertake a cleanup, during which they removed 25 discarded canisters from the mountain. They also successfully summited together."

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Snacking Bear #44330 09/22/15 06:29 AM
A
A
Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
...and losing 9 digits after a bivy in a snow-cave...

That means he's a bold climber who isn't afraid to come back. Messner lost some digits too after his ascent of Nanga Parbat alpine style. How many Everest climbers being guided up has the wherewithal to build a snow cave? Agreed that it still smacks of media/attention mongering.

Originally Posted By: wagga
Is he riding his bike 8000 miles from home? Göran_Kropp rode from Sweden, climbed Everest, helped with medicines & summited without extra oxygen support.

Does everyone have to ride their bike from home? Is a Whitney summit not valid unless you ride your bike or walk from home or Lone Pine? It is a shame about how Goran Kropp died. Should never have happened.

Snacking Bear #44394 09/28/15 07:47 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Mad respect. The lone Everest climber pulls out.

Link Copied to Clipboard