Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 212 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple should fix the Pocket Dialing problem
#52416 11/05/17 12:21 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is way off topic, but it hit me hard today: I stowed my iPhone after a call today, and was distracted -- talking to a friend. I forgot to lock the phone by pressing the button on the side. I always press that button-- just forgot today.

So for the next 15 minutes, the STUPID phone dialed and re-dialed numbers from my "recent calls" list.

Maybe Apple thinks it's cute to have a one-touch way do dial a number, but this leads to millions of pocket-dialed numbers. (Just Google "pocket dialing", and see how many hits there are.) It would be so easy to prevent if they would just do it.

Here's how: Set up a user-enabled feature, that I could turn off or on. When it is on, any number selected from my phone's contact list would, instead of automatically dialing, pop up a second screen with a button that had to be pressed before the call is initiated. Give the button a timeout period: Not pressed in 2 or 3 seconds, return to the previous display.

HOW HARD WOULD THAT BE, APPLE???

Re: Apple should fix the Pocket Dialing problem
Steve C #52417 11/05/17 09:31 AM
Many years ago, Ken, a coworker of mine, had just finished his workout at the gym. He had spent the whole time admiring how hot a certain female coworker was. Ken couldn’t resist engaging in a bit of “locker room talk” with the guys as he was getting dressed after his shower. Something about how he would like to find out how good she would be. Unfortunately, he accidentally “pocket dialed” his wife, and she heard every word he said.

bobpickering #52418 11/05/17 03:36 PM
Called a "bum dial" around here.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Steve C #53375 06/08/18 11:57 AM
I just did a three-day trip to Coyote Peaks and Angora Mountain. After navigating by map and compass for 30 years, I’ve started using Backcountry Navigator Pro on my smart phone. I was constantly losing the trail in an area that burned just last fall, and it was really cool to navigate by GPS for a change. However, the battery life on my phone is much less than three days, and I was turning it off as much as possible to save the battery. One time when I had just put it to sleep, rather than turn it off, I discovered that I had accidentally “pocket dialed” the flashlight. It was draining the battery as fast as it could! I made damn sure I didn’t do that again, and got back to the car with sixty-something percent of my battery unused.

Link Copied to Clipboard